Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boat tail /flat base

Options
  • 01-04-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

can anyone point out the differences between these two types of ammo ,was out shooting 50 grain flat base american eagle today ,they were fine up to 200 yards ,but at 300 yards i couldn even hit the target ,am i using the wrong bullet for long distances?or doing something else wrong ?cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

endasmail wrote: »
    can anyone point out the differences between these two types of ammo ,was out shooting 50 grain flat base american eagle today ,they were fine up to 200 yards ,but at 300 yards i couldn even hit the target ,am i using the wrong bullet for long distances?or doing something else wrong ?cheers in advance

A boat tail has a more tapered rear which reduces drag compared to a flat base and this increases the ballistic coefficient of the bullet.

Not sure if thats exactly right but its my understanding of it anyway :) and I am sure someone will have a more detailed explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

What T3 has said is correct boat tail bullets gererally have a better BC and therefore better long range capabilities, but this I think, is not your problem.

I would suggest that you relegate the American Eagle fodder and use Federal premium ammo instead. I also presume its .223 your using so suggest 52 or 55gr pills depending on which your rifle prefers.

Just remember "cheap" is not always a good deal;)

I hope this is helpful to you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

thanks lads for replies, ive since got some federal 64 gr and hormady 60gr TAP rounds ,the hornady are the business and think ill be sticking to them along with the federal

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

The American Eagle 55 is certainly cheap but it is 'fodder'. I use it now for rough sighting in, warm up, fouling and general fun.

I don't know what twist there is in your rifle but perhaps also try the 53 or 75g Hornady HPBTs. I'm getting good results at 100 with the 53 and even better with the 75 between 100-300. Big difference in cost of course but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

where did you find the 75g hornady?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

k_d wrote: »

I bought a few boxes of the 75g Hornady HPBT's from Paddy O Mahoney in Castlemaine, County Kerry the last day I was down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

k_d wrote: »
    landers in tralee and paul o halloran in tipp have them. i used them in my t3lite and i found them great. it says on the box that 1.9"high @100yrds is zero at 200 but it was more like 250 yrds zero so check it out your self

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

brieny1000 wrote: »
    landers in tralee and paul o halloran in tipp have them. i used them in my t3lite and i found them great. it says on the box that 1.9"high @100yrds is zero at 200 but it was more like 250 yrds zero so check it out your self

Don't forget that the zero also depends on the height of the scope relative to the bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

Sorry for the late reply - got the 75g Hornady from James McBride, Athlone.

He had a good supply !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I had no problems doing sub MOA groups today in the Midlands with 55gr American Eagles. I have Fedral Power Shocks as well but they dont't seem to group as well as the cheap stuff.

Rew wrote: »
    I had no problems doing sub MOA groups today in the Midlands with 55gr American Eagles. I have Fedral Power Shocks as well but they dont't seem to group as well as the cheap stuff.

was that 100 yards ?if so im having problems once they go the 200 yard mark

endasmail wrote: »
    was that 100 yards ?if so im having problems once they go the 200 yard mark

Sorry meant to include the distance, it was at 200.

try them over the 200 yard mark and let us know wot they like

Struggled a bit today at 200 but thats more likly to be me!

dont no rew ,i thought they were deadly until i started at the 300 yard targets,thought it was me as well ,i think the old sayin "ya get wot ya pay for "comes into play with these rounds

Only time I tried them that far they wern't great but the wind was brutal. A fella there today was doing consistant 1 and .5 MOA groups at 200 yards with 40gr rounds with a 1 in 9 twist which is mad.

I wan't to get my hands on Hornady TAP and Match rounds and see how they go but there hard to come by (bar one or 2 spots down the country a long long way form me).

Your best bet is to get a few boxes of everything and see how you go!

got few boxes of the hornady TAP rounds 60gr,very pleased with em ,hitting the 300 yard target no bother

Advertisement