Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband (15mb possible speed!!!!)

Options
  • 01-04-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Well after 10 years on dial-up my local exchange was upgraded to broadband today. Where I live is by no means a metropolis, actually its quite rural. Anyhow I live about 2.5km from the exchange and have been reading a lot about speeds etc since I heard the exchange was gonna be enabled. I rang eircom today just to hear what they had to say (praying I'd be able to get 3mb but Id have settled for 1mb after 10 years of first 20kbps which improved to 45kbps recently) A woman in Dublin answered my call and I asked about broadband...wait a moment she says I will just check the line....you can get speeds of 15mb she replied. I nearly fell off the seat. I got her to check again and she said yes this line is very good and is capable of speeds of 15mb altho you can only get 7mb as a residential customer. I didnt think anywhere outside a few places could get speeds like this, she musta been mistaken. Altho the exchange has been renewed recently and the whole line system (or a large portion of it) to the exchange has been replaced in the past year. Is there anywhere online to test potential broadband speeds? Btw I went ahead and ordered 7mb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

You could have got more than 7MB with providers such as BT btw.

Tell us the stats of your line, and we can tell you if Eircom are just bull****ing you.

But I am pretty confident, since it is a new exchange you will definetly get near the full 7MB.

6MB at the lowest, since you are a bit far away from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Yea I know but its our first foray into BB and the contract on this is only 6 months so will give it a go and see what happens, can always change then or eircom may upgrade, plus had a very bad internet experience with BT before as part of ESAT BT so was less inclined to go to them first. How can I find my line stats? Also does anyone know if eircom have improved their latency on the 7mb package, as a casual gamer I'm not overly concerned, I was assured that they had done alot to reduce ping times on this home advanced package by the sales person but then again I don't trust sales people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CutzEr wrote: »

Not unless he's on a LLU exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

From today Eircom wholesale has made available to all ISPs speeds up to 24 mb at a "cheap" price.

It will take a while for ISPs to decide whether they will implement it on their residential lines or not, the specifications are:

Up to 24 mb (aKa Sprint IP)

Speeds up to 23576/1024 kbps with a contention ratio of 12:1

Up to 12 mb (aKa Arrow IP)

Speeds up to 12288/1024 kbps with a contention ratio of 12:1

At the same time, Eircom wholesale offer the possiblity of increasing your upstream to up to 2048 kbps for the 12 mb option (called Arrow IP plus)

Just in case you dont know although the contention ratio on the 7.1 mb packate is 48:1 (aKa Rapid IP) the 7.6 mb option (aKa Swift IP) has a contention ratio of 12:1.

As I said I have no idea when Eircom retail will be offering this packages to their customers nor if they ever will but is good to see they are there.

Also, obviously this packages will be using ADSL2+ modulation.

This is the reason why you where told this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

congrats with the bb op . It's hard to imagine 20 kps in the 21st century . I have 3 meg myself thinking about orderin the 7 meg . Let us know what you think

• Advertisement

Thanks. I will give a full run down here once I get my connection up and running. Hopefully it will be at/around the 7mb I signed up for and I will also hopefully be able to test my potential speed to see if the 15mb I was promised is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Guaranteed 15MB at 2.5km from your exchange, I'd be a bit sceptical of that! Maybe you misinterpreted the woman from Eircom. Are you sure she didn't say speeds up to 15MB.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

CutzEr wrote: »

Tell us the stats of your line, and we can tell you if Eircom are just bull****ing you.

But I am pretty confident, since it is a new exchange you will definetly get near the full 7MB.

6MB at the lowest, since you are a bit far away from the exchange.

How do you figure this? Contention alone could bring the line speed down dramatically.

Sorry, I think it was up to 15mb she said, she didn't say definitely 15mb. Anyhow I am still waiting on my modem to come from eircom and for my broadband to be switched on (altho when I ring the 1800503303 broadband no. now the recording doesn't mention anything bout my pending order like it did a few days ago). In the meantime I borrowed a friends modem to check my line. Its an eircom netopia one. Anyhow all the lights come on solid green except the internet one which is solid red, guess this will be green when my broadband is turned on. Looking at the modem page it says that I have a line attenuation of 45/25 dB. As I said the exchange is a newly upgraded one (2days ago) and the lines have been renewed very lately too. I am about 2.5/3km from the exchange. Anyone know what kinda speeds I might expect to get and if the eircom lady was kidding me with her "up to 15mb"

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Anyone know what kinda speeds I might expect to get and if the eircom lady was kidding me with her "up to 15mb"

PM me your line number & I will get my mate in Eircom to check it on Monday

• Advertisement
Advertisement