Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labradoodle Puppy Wanted

Options
  • 01-04-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there, I'm interested in getting a labradoodle male pup but I can't seem to find a breeder online. If anyone has any information about where I might be able to find one or where I could get some information on these dogs. Also if anyone has one already could they let me know how they are getting on with them. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Interesting choice, why specifically a labradoodle? Perhaps you have researched this "breed" and have very specific reasons for wanting it in particular. In which case great, best of luck with your search.

If not, I would urge you to look in local pounds or contact a rescue as they have many many dogs. All different breeds, crosses, ages, personalities. Only difference is that they don't come with made up names and don't line the pockets of breeders. You will be essentially paying a lot of money for a mongrel.

My dog is a mongrel - can i give him a funny name like staffador or labrashire? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

A labradoodle isn't a breed. It's a mutt. Doesn't matter what these breeders are telling you-- it's just a damn labrador crossed with a poodle regardless of how you want to look at it. If they actually charge you anything over what it would cost to adopt a dog at a pound, you're getting ripped off.

I'm sure you can find plenty of mutts for cheap, or could find one to adopt at a shelter. Wouldn't waste time with a "breeder" because if they're advertising a labradoodle as a breed, they aren't anyone worth buying from in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aida1980

thanks for the help, ill keep my eye open for a staffador or labrashire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Man i love these new Fancy names for mongrels

Ive a Labratrever or a goldedor lol

aida1980 wrote: »
    thanks for the help, ill keep my eye open for a staffador or labrashire.
    I'll sell you mine for only €500 :D (only joking, of course)

Hope you find what you're looking for, but if you don't have your heart set on this particular "breed" try rescues, really, unless you want to pay over the odds for a crossbreed. I know labradoodles are sold as being good with kids, perhaps something about them being hypoallergenic (or is that another hybrid I'm thinking of?) but a lot of rescues have dogs in foster and the foster family will be able to tell you exactly what type of dog you're getting. A much better indication than what breed the dog is.

I wouldn't be suprised if they had a few 6-7 month old labradoodles in pounds now too. It's about the right length of time after christmas. If you contact a rescue and tell them thats what you want they may be able to help you.

The general opinion on people who breed 2 dogs then sell them as designer is not very high. If you do find such a breeder, make sure you see the parents and where the pup is coming from. Make sure you're 100% happy that the breeder is a good one before funding him/her.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0106/1230936699604.html down near the end they reference the labradoodle, but the whole report is basicially the problems these puppy farmers are causing.

• Advertisement

Ive a Labratrever or a goldedor lol
    I love your name!

what about a cross of a king charles and a Shih Tzu :D A king Shih?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I love your name!

what about a cross of a king charles and a ****zu :D A king ....?

Or even a bulldog and a Shih Tzu
    bull***t :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aida1980

It's not that I'm fixed on this "breed", but I just wanted to see if anyone had any info on them. I lost my dog recently and while online pics of these "labradoodles" just took my fancy!! I'll see what happens, I'm not in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

My sister fosters dogs for a charity who train them to help people with certain disabilities. She's looked after a few "Labradoodles" for them- apparantly they're suited to kids with certain health problems as they're robust and non-shed.

Anyway, from what I've seen of them, I'm not at all impressed. They're not hugely energetic like a lab but are very "prissy"- they don't like digging, getting wet or getting dirty. They're not hugely easy to train either.

I like mutts and some pooches really demonstrate the best traits of their parents but I really haven't seen it with Labradoodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the opinions here re: re-homing and mutts, just watned to point out, aren't most of what we consider a 'pedigree' at some stage a cross of breeds? I mean Shih-Tzus, and minature breeds do not occur naturally! Aren't shih tzus believed to have developed from a cross between the Lhasa Terrier and the Pekingese? so aren't they mutts too? until some kennel club decided to class them otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Labradoodles aren't non-shed- if it's a F1 cross then it's 50% Labrador and can easily shed just as much as one. There's a lot of these dogs rehomed because the owners bought them thinking they were non-shedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Just like the non-shed christmas trees you buy from the knackers so!

Good point on the mongrels - the Labrador itself is a mongrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 labradoodlelove

Anyway, from what I've seen of them, I'm not at all impressed. They're not hugely energetic like a lab but are very "prissy"- they don't like digging, getting wet or getting dirty. They're not hugely easy to train either.

hi aida1980
    I have a lovely LABRADOODLE and first of all fact go to guide dogs for the blind and you will see that they are trained as guide dogs because they are very intelligent.....good for people with allergies and from my own experience as an owner and mother of 3 kids under 10 they are a great loving family dog, and labradoodles love the water.. I live by the sea and I can't keep my dog out of the water when i take it for a walk on the beach.

<SNIP>
    so aida1980, labradoodles F1b are 90% non-shed, F1 50%, lovely dogs,easy trained, kid friendly and you cant go wrong wit this mutt..

Not to worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Here's a link for some info http://dogbreedinfo.com/labradoodle.htm

I have met a good few Labradoodles, all very sweet but they seemed to be very bouncy and energetic which could be due to excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meagher43

im sorry but i do not like the way you are being so condisending on the breed okay you might be a fanatic on rescuing dogs but can you not just inform the user on the information that they were looking for rather then all the other stuff they should be doing

now aida i will take it upon myself to ANWSER your QUESTION

The Labradoodle. This breed is one of the most popular designer dogs to boot and we can thank that to the purebred Labrador and Poodle for their excellent temperaments and charming personalities. Since the eighties these dogs have been paving their way to create a hybrid that's superior to even the most sought after pure-bred dogs; these designer breeds have a low shed coat, and gentle easy to train temperaments thanks to their parent breeds. Labradoodles are social butterflies, but are loyal to their family members and great with little children. They come in a variety of colors; red, yellow, white, brown, and black are the most common.
    The difference between an F1 Labradoodle and an F1B can be confusing, and we can help you figure out the difference. The first is a dog that has been mixed with a purebred Labrador and Poodle...they are excellent dogs, but tend to share many of the common problems their parent breeds hold. Shedding, hip dysplasia, and even over breeding thanks to their popularity. This is, if you will a “first generation” Labradoodle, and although they do make wonderful pets, improvements can still be made...and that's where the “F1B” comes in. Due to some farting around with breeding to make the most family friendly pet a “back cross” (or F1B) Labradoodle will have NO shedding [where a F1 most likely will..] A family with allergies can happily own one of these Doodles and have virtually no reaction. The dog will be large, easy to train, and great with kids! The latter of the Labradoodles will have parents that are both hybrid dogs [in this case, the Labradoodle] so you will have a superior hybrid breed.

i hope you find this information useful the site i found it on is
    www.mixedbreedpets.com

Meagher43

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

meagher43 wrote: »
    im sorry but i do not like the way you are being so condisending on the breed okay you might be a fanatic on rescuing dogs but can you not just inform the user on the information that they were looking for rather then all the other stuff they should be doing

The Labradoodle. This breed is one of the most popular designer dogs

I think what people are trying to do is warn the OP that like with a lot of designer dogs some people are out to line their pockets are farm pups like this and then they end up in pounds when they develop health issues/grow up etc. Unfortunately we always see posts on here where people have been ripped off or worse gotten a dog that has health issues and they have no idea what to do because they assumed everything would be ok because they paid big bucks for it!

OP not sure if I can help because the only labradoodle I know is a bit hyper but it's a pup - I'd liken it to a red setter - a bit flighty but doesn't look like it'd snap in half in a gust of wind like a setter would! :pac: Also the coat looks like it could be a hard to take care of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The Labradoodle. This breed is one of the most popular designer dogs to boot and we can thank that to the purebred Labrador and Poodle for their excellent temperaments and charming personalities. Since the eighties these dogs have been paving their way to create a hybrid that's superior to even the most sought after pure-bred dogs; these designer breeds have a low shed coat, and gentle easy to train temperaments thanks to their parent breeds. Labradoodles are social butterflies, but are loyal to their family members and great with little children. They come in a variety of colors; red, yellow, white, brown, and black are the most common.
    The difference between an F1 Labradoodle and an F1B can be confusing, and we can help you figure out the difference. The first is a dog that has been mixed with a purebred Labrador and Poodle...they are excellent dogs, but tend to share many of the common problems their parent breeds hold. Shedding, hip dysplasia, and even over breeding thanks to their popularity. This is, if you will a “first generation” Labradoodle, and although they do make wonderful pets, improvements can still be made...and that's where the “F1B” comes in. Due to some farting around with breeding to make the most family friendly pet a “back cross” (or F1B) Labradoodle will have NO shedding [where a F1 most likely will..] A family with allergies can happily own one of these Doodles and have virtually no reaction. The dog will be large, easy to train, and great with kids! The latter of the Labradoodles will have parents that are both hybrid dogs [in this case, the Labradoodle] so you will have a superior hybrid breed.

i hope you find this information useful the site i found it on is
    www.mixedbreedpets.com

Meagher43

Don't know if you realise, but this thread is over a year old.

Labradoodles aren't a breed, they a cross of two other breeds. I understand why they created the cross, and it may well lead to a recognised breed in years to come, with a breed standard that is adhered to. However, at the moment labradoodles can look very different to each other, crossing two dogs together doesn't always make the same result. In 10 years time maybe, when labradoodles are bred to labradoodles, then there will be a particular 'look' and temperament of the dog. But that will only be with proper health testing, and keeping proper breed records. At the moment, there are some responsible breeders alright, but mostly it is people who can see the opportunity for a quick buck, or accidental matings that people can see can be turned into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ISDW wrote: »

Labradoodles aren't a breed, they a cross of two other breeds. I understand why they created the cross, and it may well lead to a recognised breed in years to come, with a breed standard that is adhered to. However, at the moment labradoodles can look very different to each other, crossing two dogs together doesn't always make the same result. In 10 years time maybe, when labradoodles are bred to labradoodles, then there will be a particular 'look' and temperament of the dog. But that will only be with proper health testing, and keeping proper breed records. At the moment, there are some responsible breeders alright, but mostly it is people who can see the opportunity for a quick buck, or accidental matings that people can see can be turned into something else.

That latter statement is what we are seeing in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'm quoting myself on this thread to offer an update:
    00112984 wrote: »
    My sister fosters dogs for a charity who train them to help people with certain disabilities. She's looked after a few "Labradoodles" for them- apparantly they're suited to kids with certain health problems as they're robust and non-shed.

I like mutts and some pooches really demonstrate the best traits of their parents but I really haven't seen it with Labradoodles.

My sister ended up adopting the dog she was fostering as it just wasn't suited to the level of training it was bred for.

Lovely dog in her own right but a disaster of a "breed". From what I can see, she has the worst traits of both breeds. Very headstrong and uncooperative despite lots of professional obedience and behavioural training. Never stops shedding. Unlike the "prissy" puppy she was a year ago, she now never stops digging and the garden is like a combat ground. She's also dug holes through the walls of the livingroom in an attempt to catch a moth :rolleyes: and eats everything- the handles off a bike, shoes, skirting board; everything! She's hugely possessive of food despite being the only dog in the house and getting ongoing training for this particular issue. She's also very clingy and becomes visibly upset if left alone for even a moment.

I know a lot of these issues are specific to her case but even the fact that she never stops shedding would completely put me off.

All "Labradoodles" aren't the wonderdog "breeders" would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meagher43

ISDW wrote: »

Labradoodles aren't a breed, they a cross of two other breeds. I understand why they created the cross, and it may well lead to a recognised breed in years to come, with a breed standard that is adhered to. However, at the moment labradoodles can look very different to each other, crossing two dogs together doesn't always make the same result. In 10 years time maybe, when labradoodles are bred to labradoodles, then there will be a particular 'look' and temperament of the dog. But that will only be with proper health testing, and keeping proper breed records. At the moment, there are some responsible breeders alright, but mostly it is people who can see the opportunity for a quick buck, or accidental matings that people can see can be turned into something else:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

why does it matter if its a year old and what is your problem like calm down. if you are buying a labradoodle you will check it up bring it to a vet ect its standard practice and look here not every person who breeds a labradoddle is an evil person your being extreamly sterotypical and one minded open up your eyes and get a grip if people are going to buy and dog they would get the dog checked to make sure the dog doesnt have any of the above mentioned traits or problems;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd also like to point out that when you cross two F1 labradoodles, it's called an F2... and there is no guarantee that it will be "more" non-shed. It could shed even more, in fact. You don't know what half of the parents' genes the offspring will take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

why does it matter if its a year old and what is your problem like calm down. if you are buying a labradoodle you will check it up bring it to a vet ect its standard practice and look here not every person who breeds a labradoddle is an evil person your being extreamly sterotypical and one minded open up your eyes and get a grip if people are going to buy and dog they would get the dog checked to make sure the dog doesnt have any of the above mentioned traits or problems;)

I am very calm, why on earth did you put all of these:mad: into my original post? They are not there in my post, so why are you manipulating it to make it look as though I am saying something that I am not?

Please re-read my post, I most certainly did not say that everyone breeding labradoodles is an evil person.

You obviously don't understand what I mean by health checks. I don't mean taking the pup to a vet for a once over. I mean the parents should be checked for any genetic problems that those breeds are predisposed to. For example, hip dysplacia in the labrador.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Whispered wrote: »
    I love your name!

what about a cross of a king charles and a Shih Tzu :D A king Shih?

I've seen those for sale, they called them cav-tzus
    The prices are ridiculous of course, but wouldn't these crosses be healthier? I'd never get a pedigree partly because of the health problems - and king charles are notorious for them. Crossing out is probably a good thing for them genetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

planetX wrote: »
    I've seen those for sale, they called them cav-tzus
    The prices are ridiculous of course, but wouldn't these crosses be healthier? I'd never get a pedigree partly because of the health problems - and king charles are notorious for them. Crossing out is probably a good thing for them genetically.

Not necessarily, you could end up with a dog that has health problems from both parents so just because you cross 2 breeds doesnt mean it will be free from health problems, could be quite the opposite actually.

planetX wrote: »

Not necessarily, but you could be right. I can't comment either way as I personally disagree with breeding and the buying of dogs except for in exceptional circumstances whether it's a pure breed or a mixed breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

if people are going to buy and dog they would get the dog checked to make sure the dog doesnt have any of the above mentioned traits or problems;)

?

So if I buy a labradoodle, I should pay to have it vet checked?

...why would I do that? Why would I spend hundreds on a dog and then immediately spend hundreds at the vet making sure I haven't just bought a sick dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

?

So if I buy a labradoodle, I should pay to have it vet checked?

...why would I do that? Why would I spend hundreds on a dog and then immediately spend hundreds at the vet making sure I haven't just bought a sick dog?

You should ensure the parents were health checked before they were bred from and this should hopefully mean that the pups will be somewhat healthy and arent getting bad health faults passed on by unhealthy parents being bred from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yes - I would expect the breeder to have had the parents vet checked and scored for whatever they need to be scored for in any pure bred dog I was buying. I'd want to see copies of reports or results from parents with the pup's papers. Then I'd part with money for a hopefully healthy pup. Sorry I meant if I was buying a pup, as in, why would I spend a bunch of cash on a pup in the hope it was healthy without asking for those checks first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Surprised that the mods didn't have an issue with testicles post on "knackers"

Advertisement