Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company charging same for own door apt?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

sorry, I know my title is confusing but this my problem. looking at property at the moment. one I am kinda interested in has its own door, no communal lights, stairs etc so I am wondering why are the managment fees are the same price as the apts who do have these communal area. I assume esb for the whole property comes to me. basically it has its own door, 3 flights of stairs to teh apt which then spreads out over two duplexes. the only "normal" apt quality in that sense is no garden so communal bins. I know I could ask but because I am only looking at them at the moment dont want to be asking too many questions,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Normally management fees are based upon the sq ft of the unit. So, while your unit may be different, if it's the same size (floor size), then you pay the same fees.

The full details would be in the Lease Contract, which will specify particulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

ah okay thanks - just seems unfair since i will also be getting the benefits of the other apts. thanks for your help

I mean unfair I would not be!! thaniks again for your speedy reply

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Need to pay towards sink fund and insurance (roof isn't yours, stairs to apartment aren't yours etc)

see thats the thing the stairs woudl appear to be mine as I have to floor/carpet them. I understand I have to pat towards the sink food but I think 1500 is a lot to pay considering the only extra thing I have to a house is the bins included. anyway will probably not get an apt anyway - today was a lovely day wopuld suck not to have a graden to enjoy it in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What you mean is that the stairs, etc are yours to use, but you don't own them.

Management fees are not simple things, there is actually a lot to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In our development own door units pay the same as shared entrance units with the same number of bedrooms.

Is it fair - no. Can we do anything about it - no.

The calculation of fees is detailed in the leases, it's based on % of the overall budget. To change how these are calculated would require the winding up of the management company and the formation of a new one, which would require consent of 100% of the owners to join - which would never happen. Why would an owner of a shared entrance unit agree to pay more?

Our development is a cluster within a large development, and guess what - leases have been changed so that any clusters built after ours have shared entrance units paying totally for their expenses, light, cleaning etc rather than be subsidised by own door apartments.

We have looked into this in detail but there is nothing we can do. So we just have to grin and bear it.

Advertisement