Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stigma attached to ivf?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

(not 1oo% on where to put this so feel free to move mods)

coming from another site i came accross this interesting topic, seeing that the latest statistics is 1 in 6 couples experience either primary or secondary infertility at some stage and sometimes the only option for them is ivf, do you think there is still a stigma attatched to ivf?

if you have had ivf to concieve your child, did you tell people? how did you find their reactions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My friend is very open about going through IVF. She's found people extremely supportive and we've all been there with shoulders to cry on (and bottles of wine) when it didn't work.
    Don't see there's a stigma but i'm only seeing it through her eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

After three years of dealing with infertility, we had IUI and our third round conceived the twins. We were open with friends and family once we started treatment, because we knew the stress would be difficult, and the emotional and physical toll especially on me, and we'd need the support (and time off from work for tests, ultrasounds checking on eggs etc). We had no negative comments at all, and in fact several freinds, seeing how much positive comments and support I got, decided to be more open with their circle of friends about infertility struggles too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't see what there is about it to cause a stigma. Some latent catholic guilt thing? Friends of ours have 3 kids via IVF and I know of loads of others. The more open people are about it the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I would never have thought there was a stigma attached to IVF, I can't say I have ever heard anyone say anything derogatory or insulting to/about people who have gone through the process.

Myself? I admire those who go through the process, its not easy and not always successful so its a very difficult and stressful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've never heard of any negative comments or stigma towards IVF, anyone I know have been very supportive towards those that have tried IVF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The only organisations/people I've heard say anything against it are the Catholic Church and "Youth Defence".

I personally find it odd that a pro-life organisation is against the creation of life but how and ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

no stigma as such but didn't tell people as too painful to tell them it had failed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I dont think theres any stigma attached to it tbh.The amount of friends I have that are currently going through IVF is scary.We`ve been through 3 cycles and everyone couldnt have been more supportive.

Its becoming a lot more popular among couples with difficulty in conceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

personally, i wouldnt think anything of it, really. specially if it was people near to me that were undergoing it, but i have met people who hated it, was one of those pet things they would rant about... i think largely associating it with people who were 40+, and having kids 'too late in life'.

this is NOT my view on it, but i think that i would be careful about who i said it to, there is still *some* stigma against it, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Well, the Cat-lick church doesn't like it, but nobody's listened to them for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

No stigma. Shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The sad thing is my MIL thinks IVF is a horrible thing, her niece is pregnant with twins and when the MIL's sister rand her to tell her the amazing news, the MIL said "What are you excited about, it's not like they are real twins" I think that is disgusting and very hurtful. How are they not real?

IMHO anyone who is using IVF to try to have their own children get my upmost respect. They clearly want children and have to go through a terribly stressful procedure in hopes of trying to have one. I don't know if I could be as brave as they have to be!

Advertisement