Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to merge SATA to make them appear as a single HDD?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen this with SCSI where you can merge several HDDS to make them appear as one drive in the local disk options. Can this be done with SATA?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have seen this with SCSI where you can merge several HDDS to make them appear as one drive in the local disk options. Can this be done with SATA?

RAID

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Depends on your motherboard or your OS. Most motherboards these days will allow you to do so, what you want is either a JBOD SPAN/concatenate function or RAID 0. Win XP pro can also do it using software, not sure about vista.

If the two hard drives are the same model and size I would recommend RAID 0 as this will allow for faster data transfer speeds. If they are of different models and/or sizes I would recommend JBOD SPAN/concatenate as you will be less likely to run into problems.

What is your OS and motherboard?

Advertisement