Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Riots

Options
  • 01-04-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7977489.stm
    What are your views on this ?
    To me it sends out a clear message of people unhappy with the establishment and the worlds threatment of this economic crisis on a whole. I only hope that the ensuring violence dosen't overshadow the original message of protest.
    Also upon looking at the video I noticed most of the protesters where not only young and mostly male but also where dressed in Black and carrying red flags, The symbol of Anarchy.
    What is the resoning of this phonemon, that every time the establishment screws up in some major way that people shout cries of support of Anarchy yet in good times, and indeed a few months when this calms down, people are happy with our Capitalist society ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

There are better ways to send a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'Hello Cop, We're going to mob the bank of England....'

'Really? Thats Great - we'll be there too'

Great plannin there lads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Looks more like a disturbance than a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think theyre doing a public service - At times like these, the general public need a diverting spectacle and theres nothing like seeing a hippy get a baton across the face to cheer everyone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sand wrote: »
    I think theyre doing a public service - At times like these, the general public need a diverting spectacle and theres nothing like seeing a hippy get a baton across the face to cheer everyone up.

Speak for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The police estimated there were about 5,000 people taking part in demonstrations, and officers cordoned off a number of streets.

5,000 people is not exactly many...and the G20 protests tend to be a bit 'professional'. Looking at the video there doesn't make me change that view.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

i'd be a lot happier with a Free Society, our race for output is killing the climate and people... that's what's there mainly protesting about?

The G20 summits are nothing more than a show of strength on behalf of big brother, we don't really need to know where these meetings are happening, it fills newspaper, websites and blogs, it's a distraction from the real news, we've a lot to answer for in our half hearted protests (shannon/iraq) but we're content so why complain....

You have to admit it's a great distraction from the middle east, at least 30 (that's a nice even number) Taliban were killed (not even 1 bystander?) by Afgan & Foreign police (that would be us the capitalists and our pipeline dreams) http://www.afghannews.net/index.php?action=show&type=news&id=3322 ( I see where the protestors are coming from)

best of luck to the protestors, it's a noble but fruitless cause...

tbh, i'd like to see more hippy protests against this sort of thing, sit ins, bed ins, love ins, etc in the future...
    Hippy_NudeProtest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

What exactly is noble about the following:
    Demonstrators launched missiles and forced their way into the bank after clashes with police in the capital. A branch of HSBC also had windows broken.
    Protesters had smashed RBS windows with missiles, including coins and computer keyboards, and entered the building. The branch had been closed already as a precautionary measure.
    What exactly do they hope to achieve by smashing a few windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

djpbarry wrote: »
    What exactly is noble about the following:

not a thing, i didn't say they weren't numb nuts, there's better ways of achieving things...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would you feel the same if it was your private property they chose to destroy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ironic that some of the older Labour Party politicians were involved in the 1960s Grosvenor Square riots. They must be getting those 'Nam flashbacks at the sight of the young-uns getting a good kicking..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A riot? Dear God, the young people of today. That was a skirmish, not a riot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think the guys that turned up today were the trendy art student anarchists. I think the real anarchists will be down at the Excel thursday

not a thing, i didn't say they weren't numb nuts, there's better ways of achieving things...
    But you did wish them luck, didn't you?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'd say most of them don't really know what they're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

This post has been deleted.

I agree. Most of these 'hippy' protesters can be seen waving placards bearing phrases such as 'Down With Capitalism' and 'End Globalization', seemingly unaware that every Western country has a mixed economy - not capitalism. At the risk of making a sweeping generalisation; I'd say most of them haven't got a clue about what genuine globalization or capitalism entails. From what I can see the totality of their understanding of globalization is something along the lines of Shell exploiting resources in Nigeria - and they seem to extrapolate from that that globalization must therefore be inherently abhorrent, as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

Soldie wrote: »
    ...and they seem to extrapolate from that that globalization must therefore be inherently abhorrent, as a result.

Globalization is really just a by-word for forcing the lowering of trade barriers without shifting the current balance of power ending up in a situation in which the poorer nations cannot manage to clear their debts and largely lose control of their natural resources. In these terms it is abhorrent.

It is impossible to guess the individual knowledge of those on the marches/protests around the G20 but I think that it is pretty well understood that what we have is a situation which can only maintain the current rich/poor relationships between nation states.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There appeared to be an awful lot of photo-journalists in the vanguard of the "Action"...in some TV footage there appeared to be more camera holders than either "Rioters" or POlice ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

I don't enjoy seeing anyone on either side getting hurt at these things and regardless of whether they support the protests or not, I believe most people are quite rightly disgusted by images like this actually.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/01/article-1166349-04390431000005DC-345_468x286.jpg
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/01/article-1166349-04391428000005DC-968_468x692.jpg

You'd have to be a particularly sad, lonely and creepy individual to be amused by seeing young women being assaulted tbh.

• Advertisement

g20protestsg20protest00.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I don't enjoy seeing anyone on either side getting hurt at these things and regardless of whether they support the protests or not, I believe most people are quite rightly disgusted by images like this actually.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/01/article-1166349-04390431000005DC-345_468x286.jpg
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/01/article-1166349-04391428000005DC-968_468x692.jpg

You'd have to be a particularly sad, lonely and creepy individual to be amused by seeing young women being assaulted tbh.

Terrible pictures. Surprised some posters are advocating violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I suppose for April 1st that kind of remark doesn't have to go to /b/.

Soldie wrote: »
    I'd say most of them don't really know what they're on about.

I'd say you do not have any idea about that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

To me it sends out a clear message of people unhappy with the establishment and the worlds threatment of this economic crisis on a whole

Protesting G-meetings is pretty much a standard practice throughout the years. I pay it no mind at this point, I'm assuming it's just a hobby.

Though I don't enjoy seeing people get hurt (Unless they're asking for it), I'm not disgusted by the images per se. It's the standard result of a violent clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭conlonbmw

Thanks for that, I spat my tea over the keyboard laughing.

But seriously, no proper activist can protest in London anymore, as the filth will just seal an entire area off and illegally detain everyone in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Though I don't enjoy seeing people get hurt (Unless they're asking for it), I'm not disgusted by the images per se. It's the standard result of a violent clash.

Yeh, she must be a very strong woman to provoke her bloodied head :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ironically, many capitalist anarchists would be quite happy to live in a stateless society that organizes itself through free markets and voluntary association. The kinds of people one sees protesting at G20 summits are generally not "anarchists" at all; they are collectivists. They ultimately need to fall back on the power of the state to quash the systems of private property and free markets that would otherwise arise spontaneously and voluntarily.
    I am obliged to Disagree, as a Labour supporter and a supporter of the failed move to Nationalise all banks, I believe certain financial areas of our society (such as banks) need to be Nationalised due to their very nature.
    A bank that is allowed to do what ever it wants shall of course persure people to take out increasingly larger loans as long as they believe they can finance the loan or have enough reserve Credit to cover the banks tracks should the loan not be paid off. Quite simply a privetly owned bank has no moral obligation other than to get the largest possible return for it's Shareholders.
    I would describe my Political Position as Social Democracy, I believe in high Personal freedom, Democracy and low Financial Freedom.
    What we as a country need are Nationalisation of all banks and much tighter regulation of financial movement.
    How would we regulate Banks in your Archo - Capitalist world ?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I am obliged to Disagree, as a Labour supporter and a supporter of the failed move to Nationalise all banks, I believe certain financial areas of our society (such as banks) need to be Nationalised due to their very nature.
    In other words, you want the government to take as much control of the population's personal finances as possible, because obviously people are too stupid to manage their own money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

In other words, you want the government to take as much control of the population's personal finances as possible, because obviously people are too stupid to manage their own money?
    Well, not in those words but basically...

Advertisement