Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Riots

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Well, not in those words but basically...

Are you talking about more controls on personal financial freedom or on those of institutions/corporations? Maybe both in the sense of forcing the institutions to loan in a more sustainable way so the individual would be default not be able to get in a precarious situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Anybody who turned up at the G20 protests for some particular cause needs to have their brain examined.
    The G20 is just an excuse for a punch up and everyone knows it.

By protesting at G20, you actually remove sympathy from your cause.

Did anyone see the Muslim protestors with their banners?
    They would be executed in their own country for that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Are you talking about more controls on personal financial freedom or on those of institutions/corporations? Maybe both in the sense of forcing the institutions to loan in a more sustainable way so the individual would be default not be able to get in a precarious situation.
    Yes both. I believe that by Nationalising all banks we can control the Finance of all aspects of society e.g Insititutions/Coroperations and that of the average Joe.
    Basically my vision is to remove the power of finance from the Eilite few who currently control all capital in this country and have it contolled by the Goverment who are directly elected by the people and answerable to the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

police baton protestors going out of their way to be peaceful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJRi7YR1bU

if you try to squeeze a crowd into a space smaller then that crowd, what else can they do but fight back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Yes both. I believe that by Nationalising all banks we can control the Finance of all aspects of society e.g Insititutions/Coroperations and that of the average Joe.
    Basically my vision is to remove the power of finance from the Eilite few who currently control all capital in this country and have it contolled by the Goverment who are directly elected by the people and answerable to the people.
    And you want a 'sable' economy based on taxing 'cooperations'.?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

*Sigh*
    That was a typo on another thread that has nothing to do with the topic.
    *Post Reported.*

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Advancing on a police line to a rallying call of "forward!" isn't my idea of going out of your way to be peaceful.
    if you try to squeeze a crowd into a space smaller then that crowd, what else can they do but fight back
    Looked to me like the squeezing was being done by the crowd.

I have a very simple strategy for not being batonned by the police: I avoid confrontation with the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

The fact that they have tents and they are calling the public street climate camp blows your "they where squeezed into a space smaller than the crowd" theory out of the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i heard someone shouting forward, i didn't see the crowd advancing, , i saw them putting the hands and shouting this is not a riot, it amazing how many pyschopaths are on the boards, who enojy seeing peopel get hurt.

if you want to be pedantic whitewash, pushing a crowd faster then any crowd can move is also a well known police tactic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

The problem is that this is essentially abolishing capitalism without putting something else in its place. It sounds like the other half of that vision needs to be making Ireland more self sufficient and less reliant on foreign capitalist money. I would worry that with just the financial control, you would lose a lot of jobs as the US corporations pull out (even more than they have already).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was in the City of London yesterday - not for the protest, but I had time to some of the protests outside Liverpool St. and the Bank of England and the activities leading up to them. The vast majority of people I saw were clearly not out to cause trouble, but there were of course a few who were going to stir things up.

The police, on their part, seemed to create an atmosphere where it was so obvious that they expected trouble that trouble was inevitably going to follow - if you know what I mean. They were extremely visible, even in riot gear and with dogs early in the day before there was a hint of trouble. When the marching started they were already hemming people in tightly and tempers naturally began to fray. They seem to hold the opinion that a protest is becoming out of hand at the point where it begins to disrupt traffic - what protest doesn't? The press were just as bad, they were hanging off lampposts and scaffolding and naturally it was in their interest that things would kick off.

The police should certainly not condone violent behaviour at such protests but as I said the overall tone of the day was not a violent one, and the police certainly did their part to create a threatening and heated atmosphere. Their tactics on the day seemed a bit heavy handed (not violent, I'm talking about the technique of "kettling" etc) which is certainly eroding people's right to protest peacefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

riot police are intimidating, there is no doubt about that, but what's the alternative? it was obvious some idiots were going to kick off yesterday, so riot police were needed, but having riot police intimidates and gives a bad atmosphere.

The Met police can be very heavy handed, but they were in a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Given the amount of violence and damage caused on previous "Stop the City" days, I can understand them fearing the worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

i heard someone shouting forward, i didn't see the crowd advancing, , i saw them putting the hands and shouting this is not a riot, it amazing how many pyschopaths are on the boards, who enojy seeing peopel get hurt.

if you want to be pedantic whitewash, pushing a crowd faster then any crowd can move is also a well known police tactic

In Public Order situations, if you're given an objective to advance to you don't move at the protestors/rioters pace.

It's not a well known police tactic, it's simple Public Order practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Anybody who turned up at the G20 protests for some particular cause needs to have their brain examined.
    The G20 is just an excuse for a punch up and everyone knows it.

By protesting at G20, you actually remove sympathy from your cause.

Sorry, with regard to the last part of that, what exactly do you mean by "their own country"? Exactly how do you know what "their own country" is? There are British Muslims you know.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There are British Muslims you know.

Interesting point this....and one which is causing not a little grief to the greater UK Islamic body.

It should be recalled that there were British Nazi`s and at the highest of Social and Political levels too.

Oswald Moseley and the British Union of Fascists were a movement of some note which at one juncture in time could well have been the catalyst for a totally different world to what we have now (NB: I`m not saying BETTER or WORSE,but by jingo it sure would have been DIFFERENT !)

I think Dannyboy83`s point re "their own country" does actually merit fuller debate as at some point in the near to mid future many UK based Muslims may have to make that call for themselves ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I don't really see what british nazis has to do with it, it comes down to the simple fact that a lot of muslims do not recognise borders and that islam is one big family. It is more a case of seeing yourself as muslim or british first,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

So muslims can't protest in the West like everyone else because in some majority muslim states they'd be executed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Looks like the police were being economical with the truth about the guy who died of a heart attack last week

Video reveals G20 police assault on man who died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The power of a camera reveals the truth, now can anyone trust police accounts of what happened?
    Its truly awful, if there is proper accountability to regain trust, that officer should be put on trial with immediate dismissal from the force for bringing the force into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I know the guy wasnt exactly beaten to death , but the casual way he was hit from behind is worrying. It seems like you give these goons a uniform and a trunchon and well , they seem to enjoy the violence

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

silverharp wrote: »
    I know the guy wasnt exactly beaten to death , but the casual way he was hit from behind is worrying. It seems like you give these goons a uniform and a trunchon and well , they seem to enjoy the violence

Yep, it really is, considering how they must have been acutely aware that there were cameras everywhere. I'd hate to see what must go on behind closed doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 atomicblonde

my cuz got caught up in the middle of them riots going to work.
    Very scary.
    These protestors are complete idiots they don't even know why they're protesting.

Police did a good job

my cuz got caught up in the middle of them riots going to work.
    Very scary.
    These protestors are complete idiots they don't even know why they're protesting.

Police did a good job

Generally i would agree, but that video does look pretty damning. The shove by the policeman has not been linked directly to the man's heart attack and he died a while after it was taken, but whther or not the shove ultimately killed him, it is still common assault.

I believe the problem could be working out which force he was from and who the individual was. The police tend to close ranks at times like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 atomicblonde

Yikes, I hadnt seen that thing on the news about the man bein pushed down.
    It was terrible, that policeman should be locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The thing that is really pissing me off, is that the policeman seemed to go out of his way to hit the man?

He wasn't blocking the police at all, wasn't obstructing their movement or making a nuisance of himself... I mean, the officer that hit him actually had to come across the line to get to him.

Heads should roll for this.

Advertisement