Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitges- has anyone been there?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of booking a trip here this summer. Haven't got a massive budget (recession.. blah de blah) but we need to get away somewhere. We came across this location which is meant to be the "gay" capital of spain per se.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have been there and could suggest places to see, things to do, where to stay or even other places to go as we haven't booked or decided on somewhere for sure yet.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

was there for the first time last year.Fabulous little town with most of the streets pedestrianised.Nice choice of restaurants,four or five of them facing the sea front.Great beaches with one sectioned off for the gay sun bathers.There is a 5 km promenade and the walk is worth it for the sea air and exercise.There are around six main hotels ,three or four of which face the sea .One dedicated gay spot set a couple of streets back;Dates back to the twenties and has an old world atmosphere with fresh sangria prepared every evening.Good place to meet fellow travellers.Hotel Subur and the Calypso are directly opposite the beach and are reasonably priced.Best thing is to book on one of the usual sites like 1800hotels.ie

The gay scene is pretty compact with six or seven bars close to each other.There are plenty of people from all over and it is safe and friendy.

Usual late night clubs are there as well as a couple of saunas.One just recently opened and attached to the small new gay hotel called Parrotts.

Peronally I found it very "couply" but for relaxation and weather its hard to beat.Dont make the mistake of thinking its only gays there as there are many,many others with children there enjoying the beaches.

Barcelona is close enough by train and overall I would recommend it for a few days.No massive crowds and has a bit of culture and class about it.Tolerant and worth seeing.Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublintimmy

Sitges is a great spot. I've been 4 times and aim to buy somewhere there in the future. The gay bars are small and friendly and there are loads of them. And the nightclubs are large - that's cos everyone ends up there. I would 100% recommend Sitges to any gay person, it's especially good to go as a gay couple - this is because it's one of the few places I've visited where it is the norm to have men holding hands and women holding each other's hands. Have a good holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for both your replies. Unfortunately, plans have changed because we're on a budget :(

We booked with ryanair because they were so much cheaper and Stiges is miles from Girona so we've decided to go to somewhere along Costa Brava. If you have any tips for places along here to see, that would be great. I'm thinking about lloret de mar (spelling?). It just seems more convenient when flying to Girona but i'm sure we'll have just as nice a holiday there. It's more of the relaxing sort of atmosphere we're after rather than the outgoing nightlife and i think spain is very open to gay couples in general so i'm sure it'll be ok :) Oh, any suggestions for hotels, please feel free to suggest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Shame about that - I was in Sitges a couple of years ago and it's a nice place. Sure there's a lot of gay men there, but I like to think of it as a bit of an all-inclusive spot as there's families too. It's nice to see all creeds mixing.

Didn't have time to visit the clubs or pubs there but it all seemed good.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

Have a look at this web page for ideas for your holiday

http://www.gayinspain.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement