Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embed SWF in email?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the wrong thread to post in, but I'm trying to embed a swf file as a footer in an email - preferably as a template for all emails sent by Outlook...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You will be univerally hated by all who receive mails from you if you do.

Same goes for animated images and fancy javascript - just say no kids.

just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Snaga wrote: »
    You will be univerally hated by all who receive mails from you if you do.

Same goes for animated images and fancy javascript - just say no kids.

just say no.

I understand the intrusive nature of what I have asked, but a customer has asked me to look into it for him -

Anyone else help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

You basically would make a HTML email and reference the SWF file in it which would be stored on a web server online exactly the same way as you would embed a SWF file in a web page. However, email clients have more retrictions about what they let run and SWF's might be on the banned list.

This is really a question for the web design forum but I would agree, you will be universally hated - oh and I don't know any email client now that will allow javascript to execute - too much of a security issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Only seeing this now, long day/night yesterday. OP do you want me to move this to the Web Design forum?

rmacm wrote: »
    Only seeing this now, long day/night yesterday. OP do you want me to move this to the Web Design forum?

Yes please - if you feel its better placed there. Thanks

• Advertisement

Bluefrog wrote: »
    You basically would make a HTML email and reference the SWF file in it which would be stored on a web server online exactly the same way as you would embed a SWF file in a web page. However, email clients have more retrictions about what they let run and SWF's might be on the banned list.

This is really a question for the web design forum but I would agree, you will be universally hated - oh and I don't know any email client now that will allow javascript to execute - too much of a security issue.

Thanks - I totally understand what you suggest, I have told the customer as much, but he wants it implemented all the same.

What code would I use in the Outlook signiture to link to the html page with the swf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I have to say I have yet to see Flash embedded in an email, let alone know if many clients outside of webmail would even support it. Might be a better idea to tell the client its just a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Just tell the client that you won't do it on principal. It will annoy the hell out of too many people. It's like a pilot crashing a plane because a customer demands him to. Well... not quite as serious but you know what I mean. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Apart from the principle, I don't think you can technicall do this.

• Advertisement

OK - thanks all...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if the files are stored outside the local company server (ie on a webserver) then you could use something like GFI mailessential's disclaimer software (or DisclaimIT) to attach a html based "discalimer" to all outbound emails....

BUT

vast majority of mail filters will not allow the mail through with the disclaimer intact if they even allow it though at all.

Those that do let it through may require a proxy logon for the mail client to pull the swf enhanced data from the remote site

Some AV might even report it as an attempt to run unauthorised code which will only serve to have your clients company look like its sending infected emails.

add to this the fact that no matter how much you scrub you will never ever feel clean again

imho: paint as bleak a picture to your client as possible, show him the figures for GFI or DisclaimIT and then point out that it wouldnt work on almost 99% of recipients anyway. Clietn most liekly doesnt care about your personal ethics, so you'll have to appeal to his/her fiscal nature and show that you are really just trying to save them money.

LoLth wrote: »
    if the files are stored outside the local company server (ie on a webserver) then you could use something like GFI mailessential's disclaimer software (or DisclaimIT) to attach a html based "discalimer" to all outbound emails....

BUT

vast majority of mail filters will not allow the mail through with the disclaimer intact if they even allow it though at all.

Those that do let it through may require a proxy logon for the mail client to pull the swf enhanced data from the remote site

Some AV might even report it as an attempt to run unauthorised code which will only serve to have your clients company look like its sending infected emails.

add to this the fact that no matter how much you scrub you will never ever feel clean again

imho: paint as bleak a picture to your client as possible, show him the figures for GFI or DisclaimIT and then point out that it wouldnt work on almost 99% of recipients anyway. Clietn most liekly doesnt care about your personal ethics, so you'll have to appeal to his/her fiscal nature and show that you are really just trying to save them money.

You've convined me! - now I'll try to convince him!

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

Advertisement