Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a mainboard please.

• 01-04-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey,

Was hoping somebody could recommend a mainboard for me. Currently running an Asus Striker Extreme with a Q6600, 4 gigs of OCZ Reaper RAM and a Geforce GT280.

Basically i'm just fed up of trying to clock it to where I want it to be, especially the memory... I just can't be arsed with it anymore. It's widely known that this board is fiddly when it comes to the modules you're using and just doesn't clock well. I've upgraded the BIOS to the most recent version etc. Not a bad board other than that I guess, if you are running at standard timings etc.

ANYWAY, onto the point of the thread, can somebody please recommend me a board that's stable, easy to clock and won't throw a hissy fit when I start to mess with the ram timings? Basically something reasonably priced that will take an LGA 775, I don't care much for SLI.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Hey,

Was hoping somebody could recommend a mainboard for me. Currently running an Asus Striker Extreme with a Q6600, 4 gigs of OCZ Reaper RAM and a Geforce GT280.

Basically i'm just fed up of trying to clock it to where I want it to be, especially the memory... I just can't be arsed with it anymore. It's widely known that this board is fiddly when it comes to the modules you're using and just doesn't clock well. I've upgraded the BIOS to the most recent version etc. Not a bad board other than that I guess, if you are running at standard timings etc.

ANYWAY, onto the point of the thread, can somebody please recommend me a board that's stable, easy to clock and won't throw a hissy fit when I start to mess with the ram timings? Basically something reasonably priced that will take an LGA 775, I don't care much for SLI.

Thanks in advance.

I've put the magic words in bold :D
    Basically the problems that you have are coming from the Nforce chipset. Avoid that and you should be fine with any half-decent board.

I would strongly recommend an established X38/P45 board from Asus (P5E/P5Q series). There's loads of different models, but it all comes down to which features you need.

I have no complaints from either the P5K Deluxe that I was using last year, or the P5Q Deluxe that I am using now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Chosen wrote: »
    I have no complaints from either the P5K Deluxe that I was using last year, or the P5Q Deluxe that I am using now.

Yes your P5K Deluxe is a fine board, still goin strong @ 3.2Ghz 24/7 :D

I also highly recommend Asus boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

+1

My Asus P5K Deluxe is still powering along since day one. But to get a successful overclock you need more then just a good mobo. You need all components to be high quality. Remember when you overclock you dont just overclock the RAM and CPU you over clock everything!!!

I have my quad clocked to 3.6 but had it at 3.8 for months.....Upgrading to i7 in the next month or so..

REMEMBER A PC IS ONLY AS FAST AS ITS SLOWEST COMPONENT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

I have an Asus P5E3 Deluxe board and it is brilliant for overclocking! I got my E8400 overclocked from 3.0ghz to 4.0ghz and I se 2GB of DDR3 memory massively overclocked from 1600mhz aswell! I think it was a handy board for overclocking but it was my first time overclocking so I cant compare it to much. It also places a huge emphasis on power saving/management features which you may find good or to be a pain in the ass. Also heard good things about gigabyte boards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

+1 again :) nForce and (for some reason) G31/P35 (to a lesser degree) seem to have random issues with RAM timings. In general, the only way to get around them with Intel is to overvolt the northbridge like crazy and the NB on nForce boards is already running freakily hot, so...

... suffice to say trade up to a half-decent X38 or P45 and have done with it. Preferably before the nForce goes into nuclear meltdown like they sometimes do... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Thanks for the advice guys. One P5Q Deluxe on order and should have my Striker extreme up for sale soon for anybody interested. :)

Advertisement