Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive

Options
  • 01-04-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

I don't know, drive has just been on my mind a lot lately, particularly where work is concerned. Where I work it's not really expected that I'd be driven to move up the ladder, and if I was to I'd be expected to stay in the same area (more than partially because I'm female). The thoughts of that would make me batty, to be honest. At the same time, I'm a bit rudderless, which is almost equally frustrating.

Do you consider yourself to be a driven person, or how do you make yourself a more driven person? Also, do you think that drive requires selfishness?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd consider myself to be fairly driven to do things well, particularly in work, I enjoy work which helps I suppose :D

I'm also hoping to start a distance learning degree which will take discipline/drive.

It depends on what drives you, for some people they may be driven to achieve in terms of having children and bringing them up well, for some it can be a hobby they love, others may want to achieve a good balance between work and their personal life.

I do think that if you want to really achieve and stand out in a particular field, work or otherwise that you have to be selfish, in that you will focus more on achieving that goal and it may lead to the exclusion of other areas out of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

no. haha, very very little drive at all. well, from a work perspective. i work a 20hr a week job as receptionist (which i love), and do on-call work two days a week in preschools.

money... as long as ive enough to pay the bills with a little left for saving and spending (im pretty frugal with it), im happy. i don't want to sacrifice my free time for money. i rather have the time to surf, read, spend time with friends and family.

think my biggest ambition at the moment is to keep surfing and keep improving.

also, this thread is making me sing incubus, and reminding me i need to get that rules of the road book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I wish I was more driven than I am in every aspect of life. I find myself readily taking an apathetic stance when it comes to most things, college and friends alike, but I'd rather care a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Oh I have plenty
    People keep trying to slow me down by putting spanner in the works e.g. co wont pay for those exams, you are not getting promotion, might not be a job for you etc
    I usually throw spanner back - leave the co, apply for diff promotion, do more hours, do more study etc

My motivation is when Im in 40's I can do 30 hour week for twice the amount of monies Im on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CorkLady1983

was in same situation a few years ago OP , worked in a place with slow career progression, swear to god it was so boring..... :( used to drive me insane. Decided to do my masters in engineering part time, which was really hard considering I didn't work in the area, and now I have a job that I love.... it took a lot of dedication and focus, which can be hard to achieve when no-one else around you seems to want to achieve the same thing...

• Advertisement
Advertisement