Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass Driveway?

• 01-04-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I heard some Greenparty MP (?) on Matt Cooper earlier saying it was highly likely that there would be a tax on tarred/paved driveways in this budget or at some stage at least.

Then he mentioned grass paving, which seemed mad to me, but I checked online and there are a lot of systems that actually look very good.

I was _just_ about to get my driveway tarred/ covered somehow, but after seeing & hearing this I'll be holding off a while longer.

Has anyone heard/ seen anything about these 'driveway solutions'? I've found different named ones so far such as Perfo, Grasscrete, Hebden 40, Salvaverde ...no news on anyone doing anything like that in Ireland though.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

Yeeess - there are paving solutions that incorporate grass 'pockets', usually used in areas where you need to soften built constructions impact on the surrounding area or sloped surfaces where groundwater run off needs controlled and slowed.

Regarding a potential tax on hard paving - you have checked todays date?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

narkymarky wrote: »
    Regarding a potential tax on hard paving - you have checked todays date?

Yes I did think of that, but it's no joke. I've heard it mooted months ago. Now it seems more likely. When explained it even sounded quite sensible actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A tax on Driveways would never work as it would simply lead to cars being parked on roadsides outside houses of people wanting to avoid the tax by putting a lawn over their driveway, and the RSA would never stand for this.

IF they did implement this I foresee huge uproar and protests, and a higher risk factor of pedestrians being knocked down due to kids running from behind parked cars onto the road. Its merely a suggestion at best and a dumb one at that.

I'd pave away if I were you. ;)

A tax on Driveways would never work as it would simply lead to cars being parked on roadsides outside houses of people wanting to avoid the tax by putting a lawn over their driveway, and the RSA would never stand for this.

IF they did implement this I foresee huge uproar and protests, and a higher risk factor of pedestrians being knocked down due to kids running from behind parked cars onto the road. Its merely a suggestion at best and a dumb one at that.

I'd pave away if I were you. ;)

All these objections were gone through on the show. The more I investigate and think about it, the more sense it makes. Those 'compartmentised' flooring systems look great IMO. I'm definitely trying to find someone local/in Ireland who does it -tax or no tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

All these objections were gone through on the show.
    No argument is greater than the possible deaths of lots of kids.
    The more I investigate and think about it, the more sense it makes. Those 'compartmentised' flooring systems look great IMO. I'm definitely trying to find someone local/in Ireland who does it -tax or no tax.

I might actually have a look into it myself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Wasn't this aimed at restricting people converting existing front gardens to driveways? When an impermeable surface is used the water runs off into storm drains which can't cope and then flood, plus there's the issue of crossing the pavements.

I remember seeing a programme a few weeks ago which stated that UK building regs. now mandate a permeable surface for hard standings to enable water to drain away more slowly.

We originally planned to have a tarmac drive but have recently started looking at the grass systems. I saw one house recently that actually had a carpet of wild flowers where the cars were parked......

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greenfingers

These types of systems or ‘Sustainable Green Systems’ have been in use for years. Landscape architects have specified these for years where they wish to create a green flowing landscape throughout a new development for example. The are used where access is needed .ie for fire trucks, maintenance trucks, or for over flow cararks etc. but a green surface may be need to link the scheme together.

In general they are not hugely successful. The grass doesn’t grow too well as the shallow root zone prevents the grass growing normally as it would on a lawn. However if constructed correctly with quality urban soil mix and give a ‘bit of love’ in its maintenance .ie Fertiliser/Feeding it can work. I don’t know how it would look in a small area such as a driveway. I would be of the opinion that a plastic form of the system would work in a small area better that a concrete one.

Have a look at http://www.grasscrete.com/docs/paving/grasscrete.html

I think this one looks more promising for a proper "grass look" -hebden 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

I am going to go with a gravel drive and I reckon the system above is a good solution for a part of the drive that is gently sloped....

On the way home from work last year after a bout of heavy rain in Meath I noticed a number of people trying to sandbag their front doors, the water was running down the main road and taking a left down their drives and in through the front door... they didn't look happy...

If you house sits lower than the road even a little and the road is prone to any sort of flooding think twice about tarmac...

I have never liked it anyway...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 greenfingers

Just saw the date on this thread. Was that not April Fools Day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just saw the date on this thread. Was that not April Fools Day?
    You posted before now didnt you? :D

Advertisement