Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D boys M4 A1 motor/mechbox problem

Options
  • 01-04-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Well I suppose it had to happen some time! I replaced the pistol grip om my M4 with a gucci one I got my hands on. The replacement went fine but when I put a battery on it tonight I got a high whine of it! In my mind obviously the motor pinion wasn't engaging the gears. Long story shortened after much adjustment I've found the the inner plate of the new pistol grip is thicker so I replaced the original one to find the same problem, either whinning(not engaging, or locking up) stuck gearbox?? can I fix it?? how do you unstick a gear box?? is it possible?? or is my motor burned??

Answers on a postcard to...........I would appreciate any help with this guys.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

You usually screw it all the way in and then come out a turn or 2, the way i do it is to screw it all the way in, then fire it full auto, if it sounds whiney i adjust the screw while firing in full auto. as you loosen the screw you will hear the ROF go up a little and the gearbox will sound healthier. :)

Its also possible that you have the motor the wrong way around and the locking up is actually the anti reversal latch. to sort this you need to remove the motor and ratate it 180degrees. theres usually a red tip or a + sign on the positive terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Have the motor back in the right way, Just had a thought, might have run down this batt with all the farting around, and I also released that latch?? carefully with a paperclip and the gearbox wound out?? and the gear that is visable seems to be freely moving hope that was the right thing to do.

Thanks Richie, getting late now to blapping off with this baby, will try again tomorrow, will give you a shout again if thats ok? As to the King arms 27 pistol grip the base plate does defo seem thicker where it seats to the entrance of the gearbox, how do you get round this? motor with a longer pinion or a shorter spring, or shorten the spring for the motor??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Cant say ive ever had any probs with the king arms gear, the bas plate that came with it should be the sight size to place the motor in the right spot. give it a go again tomorrow and with a well charged battery, then you'll have a better chance of getting it adjusted perfectly. :)

Might be Saturday before I can get to it, what with my hectic social calender!!:rolleyes: Will keep in contact, thanks again Richie, your the man. :)

Well its official, Kingarm G27 does not fit D boys M4 A1. In the end I measured the depth that the pinion reaches from the original D boy grip compared to the G27 one. Misses by about 3mm to 4mm and without thinning the inner base of the new grip theres just no way to make the motor reach far enough into the mechbox. I even tried the motor without the spring, still not enough so I'm now an expert at removing and replacing motor/pistol grip and stripping my M4 which is not a bad thing.

At the end it got so bad that the motor and gearbox seized completely, I could'nt pull the motor out even with pliers and brute force and ignorance :D at this point I stripped the whole thing prepared to open the mechbox!!! but realised I couldn't without destroying the grip to release motor/wires, until I applied some reverse gear logic (swapped the motor) not sure the long term damage caused by said option but it freed the motor, then released that reverse latch thingy put it all bact together and hey presto it worked!

I think the jam also had something to do with the mini allen key on the drive head removing itself and floating around, which fell out to be replaced again!!
    guys these D boys are Iceage proof!! very inpressed with the amount of messing I gave it. Gonna stick it all back together again and leave well enough alone I think until I find some other AEG to stick my gucci g27 grip on.
    thanks for all your help Richie, it defo was a learning experience, must try and find some knackerd AEG and have a go at a gearbox now just to further my misunderstanding/understanding of mechboxes!!!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement