Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposable/Pre-paid Mobile Phones

Options
  • 01-04-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can buy a disposable/pre-paid mobile in Cork City?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

*feels like an episode of The Wire*

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Transport may be a problem in Ireland, but our abundance of mobile phone shops makes up for it.

You can buy a pre-pay mobile pretty much anywhere, even Tesco. If i was you, I'd go to the meteor shop on Patrick Street. As far as I know they do an international saver pre pay type account which may work out for you. Not 100% though. If not, the carphonewarehouse is next door and they supply all networks so you can ask in there. You'll spot them no problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    ...meteor shop on Patrick Street... the carphonewarehouse is next door...

Got it. The concept of pre-paid phones or throw away phones is new to me. Can't say I've ever heard of them here in Canada. So how does the plan work??

The whole concept of a throwaway phone, is that say you pay €40 for it, you get say 60 minutes talk time? It's designed to make/receive calls, it's basically for people who don't want to deal with bill pay, or topping up their phones every so often.

Something like that anyway, I'm sure there's more to it, but that's the general jist of it.

Go into a shop, buy credit, calls might be around 25c a min to Ireland and 12c to send a txt once it's on your phone. All very easy.

http://meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/price_plans/ <---- Prices for one of the networks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

srly why the fack would anyone get a purpose built disposable phone when the vast majority of phones are built to not last very long? really there should be a quota on those low-end 'budget' phones for a couple of years until the huge amount of old but still perfectly good phones laying around the place give up the ghost instead of polluting the place with actual disposable phones.

the phones from 2003/4 until now might still be working but the plastic and build quality of the housing is so bad nobody will be seen dead with it after its been dropped a couple of times, new phones seem to get all scratched up even if you never drop them. ever since the 'picture phone' revolution they just don't make em the way they used to. just look at the nokia 6310, 5210, motorola timeport, motorola 9505. those yokes were made to last, long before everyone would throw away their old phone to get in with the latest gimmick

towel401 wrote: »
    srly why the fack would anyone get a purpose built disposable phone ...

1. because you "pay as you go" and don't need to sign a contract.
    2. those old phones don't allow for option 1.
    3. most of the old phone are analog and no longer work on digital systems.
    4. disposable phones are ideal for travelers or non-residents
    5. because some people like gimmicks while other people like the old brick & bag phones... do you still have a CB/Citizen Band Radio?

Jhazon wrote: »
    1. because you "pay as you go" and don't need to sign a contract.
    2. those old phones don't allow for option 1.
    3. most of the old phone are analog and no longer work on digital systems.
    4. disposable phones are ideal for travelers or non-residents
    5. because some people like gimmicks while other people like the old brick & bag phones... do you still have a CB/Citizen Band Radio?

there are very few analogue phones left. the most mobile phones laying idle now would be from the late 90's up to now when everything was already GSM. analogue was never that popular here, these are not brick and bag phones just ones that got left behind after the last round of upgrades

you can just get a sim card - plenty of those around too and don't cost as much as a new phone obviously. have a few cb's laying around but they don't get much use cause i live in the middle of a valley, but what has that to do with anything? you think you are somehow superior to CB users because you pay some huge ****er of a company to relay your dirty messages for you?

edit: theres a cash converter shop on maccurtain street that sells these phones and probably sim cards too cheap.

towel401 wrote: »
    ...have a few cb's laying around but they don't get much use cause i live in the middle of a valley, but what has that to do with anything? you think you are somehow superior to CB users because you pay some huge ****er of a company to relay your dirty messages for you?.

My point was that CBs, like the old analog phones are items of the past and the new "gimmicks", regardless of how bad they are, appear to be the new "must haves". I too own a couple old CB sets, maybe because I am a little crazy when it comes to depending on Big Brother to pass my "dirty messages" when the apocolypse comes.

Btw, prior to your edit, asking a Canadian if they're a "yank" is just about as smart as asking an Irish person if they are a Brit. But thanks for the edit.

didnt see the sig so i assumed. No place sells disposable phones unless you count the iphone. Prepaid doesnt have the same 'only for old people and spendaholic kids' stigma attached to it as in north america as most people here use it and buying sim cards is more common here.

• Advertisement

So best suggestion would be to buy a phone a Cash Converters downtown and pop a sim card in it?

I really need a contact number since I will be without the option of a land line for at least three weeks.

Jhazon wrote: »
    So best suggestion would be to buy a phone a Cash Converters downtown and pop a sim card in it?

I really need a contact number since I will be without the option of a land line for at least three weeks.

yea i havn't been in there for a while but usually they have a good selection.

O2 and meteor usually have some offer where they give you a sim card if you buy 10e credit. dunno about the other 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=14

Might be better than Cash Converters and you might get lucky. The one good thing about being here is there is no Rogers to deal with:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Vinta81 wrote: »
    *feels like an episode of The Wire*

+1
    Love that show

artielange wrote: »
    +1
    Love that show

Everyone should :D My favourite TV Show! I've watched my boxset 3 times and I still can't get enough!

The price of new phone (€40+) is outside of my target. Guess I will need to find a used phone and pop a sim car in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

if ya want cheap 3G in douglas (seeing as your moving out that way) sell a crappy little nokia ... 1208? cant remember the model but it's sim free and its 25 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Ive got a Samsung phone youre welcome to - it's only a few months old! I didnt like it and got a Nokia instead but it works perfect.

Does appear to be a Cash Converters downtown (two in DUB)... anyone confirm that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Yeah there's one inside out McCurtin street. Tbh, I wouldnt be bothered, the offers youre getting from here seem more genuine and worht your money

Advertisement