Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€7 for taxi's in carlow?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone been stung by taxi drivers constantly giving the wrong change in Carlow? it has happened to me several times now always the same company and always the same overcharge of €1.

the cost of the taxi is €6 but they only give €3 in change if you give them €10 and €13 if you hand over €20 etc, they always seem to give back a two euro and one euro coin in the change thus leaving the option to claim they have made an innocent mistake if they are questioned. also they never appear to have or offer reciepts.

are they really just a bit blind but always in their favour? or are they deliberetly giving the wrong change to earn extra for themselves?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    has anyone been stung by taxi drivers constantly giving the wrong change in Carlow? it has happened to me several times now always the same company and always the same overcharge of €1.

the cost of the taxi is €6 but they only give €3 in change if you give them €10 and €13 if you hand over €20 etc, they always seem to give back a two euro and one euro coin in the change thus leaving the option to claim they have made an innocent mistake if they are questioned. also they never appear to have or offer reciepts .are they really just a bit blind but always in their favour?

never happened to me, but i use the same 2 companies all the time. report them to the regulator, they need to give receipts if requested.

simpley i think you should change companies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

maybe try using a different company they are taking advantage by law they have to give receipts - they do that in dublin from time to time its like they are giving themselves a tip - to me they over charge anyway in the fair they are one of the most expensive at least in europe taxi fares - was in puerto rico few weeks back the most expensive taxi was three euro and we went some distance it wasnt just round the corner - dont let them away with it or maybe next time give them a fiver that will teach em too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I can't believe i forgot to mention this. I was talking to a woman 2 weeks ago and she told me she got a taxi from The Temple to Ewings and the driver tried to charge her 29 yo yos for the journey. To which he was told politely to **** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

super-rush wrote: »
    I can't believe i forgot to mention this. I was talking to a woman 2 weeks ago and she told me she got a taxi from The Temple to Ewings and the driver tried to charge her 29 yo yos for the journey. To which he was told politely to **** off

I think that was in the paper actually!

you might be thinking of the incident that happened a while back (chrimbo i think) where a guy was charged 36 euro to go from the Seven Oaks to Ewings, he was a visitor to the town. This woman is a local and boy was she angry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

where is Ewings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Taxi companies. HUH. They are really overcharging here in Ireland.
    I was in the UK very recently and I got charged £30 for a 30 mile trip.
    The same trip here could have cost me €70 or €80. This was when the € and the £ were worth in or around the same.
    But who do you blme.....ourselves of course. We tend to take it on the chin and say nothing.
    We use taxis that are sometimes dirty.
    We use taxis that are sometimes unroad worthy.
    We use taxis where the driver dosent even know his/her way around the town never miond the county.
    And what do we do.......nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I know what i do with the guys down here is say look i only have 8 euro or whatever it may be will you drop me home and they always say yes. I get a taxi from the train every week and i always dictate the price to them saying it only every costs me 8euro maximum so that's all your getting. They have to give you a receipt it's the law and if you find you were overcharged then present the receipt to the taxi company's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

ShayK1 wrote: »
    where is Ewings?
    down in the town square, beside the river and the tavern.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

did he go via dublin first,,,,lol

• Advertisement

aynon wrote: »

Across the street from Nancy Whiskeys.

aynon wrote: »

Thanks
    where a guy was charged 36 euro to go from the Seven Oaks to Ewings

Holy Sh!t!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

im not talking about a blatant attempt to rob a tourist of €30 that is really a matter for the garda to look into, my problem is a more subtle theft by continously giving the incorrect change, it is only €1 so nobody is going to complain to anyone meaning they will get away with it and continue to do this but with maybe 30 or more local trips a day that is a huge tip.

i will never support any protest the taxi drivers have from now on, they are a shower of thieves and the market should be flooded with new taxi licences just to annoy these scumbags.

why not just change company. If nobody uses this taxi company then they won't be able to survive.

Its not fair to tar all taxi drivers with the same brush just because you have an issue with 1 or 2 companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

the once in a while we go into town we get taxi home,last night taxi office in carlow , just off tullow street wanted 40 euro.28 euro has been the fare the last couple of times.when this was pointed out he thought he could get lippy.told him to f..k off politely.waited 1/2 hour at rank and got other taxi 28 euro.that creep in that office is ignorant never mind trying to rob us.:eek:

I Never use that place unless I'm REALLY stuck. I usually use M&M Cabs. Really nice guys and reasonable fairs.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I Never use that place unless I'm REALLY stuck. I usually use M&M Cabs. Really nice guys and reasonable fairs.
    we wont ever even try to use them again.pack of robbers.providing a service my ass.they give taxi men a bad name..........

Absolutely! 100% agree with you there

could we do a quality rating i.e service,fares,manner for taxis in the town.weed out the assh?les ,give the good guys praise. something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

this has it's good and bad sides, and overall I'm not in favour of it. for one it's free advertising fo the taxis, and two knowing this forum it would turn into a bitch fest, which would result in slander etc so it's a no I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

`well i can honestly say the drivers i have been using were all great and never a problem except for being overcharged/shortchanged and i think there are very few bad taxi drivers in carlow except maybe some of the blow-ins that i have heard can be tempermental and bad tempered sometimes but which of us never suffer from this?

Advertisement