Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silicon seal practice

Options
  • 01-04-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I resealed along the edges of my bath a year or so ago. The original job was lovely, but looks like the builders hadn't filled the bath before doing it, so there were small gaps when you filled the bath. I made a bit of a mess doing it - it's not the worst I've ever seen, but it's not pretty.

I've seen people do it before, and it always looks so easy - apply even pressure, move quickly, then lick your finger and run it along leaving a lovely finish.

I wasn't too bad at the even pressure, but the finishing off bit was where I made the mess :o. I want to redo the bath at some stage, so

a) What's the best way to remove the current seal? A sharp blade or something else?
    b) Anyone have any ideas of "corners" I could practise on first? I thought of cutting down something like a cornflakes box, but they bend too easily.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Thoie

This is an all too common issue with the baths and +1 for the forgetting to fill the bath before sealing. The filling of the bath (just for everyones benefit) is to show its maximum settlement point so as to ensure a really good seal between the tile/ tile strip and bath surface. I will give you a couple of pointers and hope somone has some other suggestions also
    1. Remove the old silicone with a blade or craft knife as there is less risk scratching the bath. Work slowly dont lean hard on knife and cut vertically and then horizontally on the joints until it comes free.
    2. Clean the area well and allow to dry.
    3. If you dont want to use masking tape thats ok. You should purchase a good quality silicone ( not the cheap €2.50 own brand DIY) a tube. The cheap stuff is really weak and quite runny hence you have it all over your hands. Soudol for example is quite thick and will allow for more working once its applied. Keep warm water to dip finger in so it doesent stick. Cut the nozzle a little at a time and test by piping a bit out to see thickness.
    4. Fill the bath to the max allowable. mask off area required and away you go. Take your time but ensure its consistant.There are finishing tools from plasplug and vitrex available but so often your finger is just as good. Prob wouldnt suggest cardboard to test on as its too different a surface but good idea though. Good luck
    Hope this helps.

Regards
    B

Advertisement