Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 year boiler blown up - insurance and grants

Options
  • 01-04-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

General question here. my parents outdoor boiler just blew up after 20 years good service. will insurance cover it ?

also,what grants available? my dad's been quoted 3.5k for a new boiler, burner and flue - how thats/.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

General question here. my parents outdoor boiler just blew up after 20 years good service. will insurance cover it ?

also,what grants available? my dad's been quoted 3.5k for a new boiler, burner and flue - how thats/.

Insurance will usually call that "wear and tear" - no cover - unless damage caused (usually only in the house, water damage etc.). You need to change over to kerosene, then flue will not be needed. All the new boilers run best on kerosene.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

This may not be covered in their policy as at could be classed as wear and tear. However check with the company and see, it could save a small fortune.

As for the boiler price I would suggest a really comprehensive shoparound. M6ost suppliers would take your hands off at the moment and this a really big purchase.

Regards
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I had a new Firebird kerosene boiler installed outdoors a year or so ago and paid €1600 for it installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lifes_a_Witch

Thanks for that - about the insurance.

As for the Kerosene, hadn't thought about that. Will need to look into it.

Any advice on the grants thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Thanks for that - about the insurance.

As for the Kerosene, hadn't thought about that. Will need to look into it.

Any advice on the grants thing?

Not sure about grants etc., see www.sei.ie, but you almost certainly would have to go for a condensing boiler to get a grant. This is much more expensive than a standard boiler and would account for the €3.5k.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I doubt the insurance will pay as mentioned earlier it appears to come under "wear and tear".

The new grant is for condensing oil boiler with heating controls around €700.00, the boiler must be over 90% efficient.

The average basic boiler has an efficiency rating of around 70% depends on type / brand etc.

Ask your Dad how much the boiler was 20 years ago, then compare it to a colour TV at the time and how many TV sets he bought since then.

My point being the new boiler should give a similar life span of 20 years so buy the most efficient possible and get the full value of the extra 20% efficiency.

Regarding the installation make sure the whole system is thoroughly flushed, examine the feasibility of fitting TRV's on the rads, and zoning the system.

Advertisement