Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My stint as "assistant" to Borderfox today

• 01-04-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone is interested - I tagged along with the ever-gracious Borderfox aka Keith today to take some pictures at a function in the Mansion House.

The event was to mark the 15th anniversary of the setting up of the Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) or Tourist Victim Support as it was then known; and was also attended by Guido Nasi. Guido was just 17 years old and on holidays in Dublin from his native Italy when he was left paralysed after being hit over the head with a bottle 10 years ago in Fairview Park. He is now confined to a wheelchair and cannot speak, instead using a keyboard to communicate.

This was my first kind of photojournalist type of event so I was in the dark at the start - but thanks, again, to super-patient Borderfox for showing me the ropes (as always). Trying to juggle two camera bodies and not miss any shots was quite a challenge!

Some pics are below,and the full set is here if anyone is interested. Also. we were on the six o'clock news too if you were looking hard enough...

3404617395_6e2fc24b80.jpg?v=0

3404613177_fa16c38e7d.jpg?v=0

3405426370_9c97617db3.jpg?v=0

3404613935_1981464a04.jpg?v=0

3404617549_e399979991.jpg?v=0

3404616897_ac325a4e9c.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Paul congrats, glad to see you did well, I had seen the post as soon as border put it up but already had appointments, I think you made more of it than I ever could, it is a fantastic set of high level shots, very journalistic, no falseness, perfect! Congrats again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Congrats

I saw this on the news. I remember when Guido was injured. Very tragic.

My brother can be seen in a few of the photos in the background !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

My God it's been 10 years? I remember this horrible incident. God Bless anyone who can smile through such a rough time like that.

Good pics - well done. 30 is a good number for a flickr set to give someone a feel for the event.
    You can make out 'I LOVE YOU' on the keyboard device. Interesting shot.

Like your frame / presentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A really brilliant set of photos. Looks like you did a totally professional job. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great job by Paul and as said above he presented the shots well and handled himself perfectly. One of my ones should be in the Irish Sun tomorrow. I will stick some shots up on Friday, wedding tomorrow so pretty busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Forgot to mention too, seen Paul on the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Well done Paul. Considering you were out of your comfort zone you produced some excellecnt shots. Roll on the photo journalist :D.

As for the 10 year marker - holy smoking cow, I remember this lad being clobbered, the investigation and all. Seems like only a couple of years ago. How time flies. You seem to have gotten fairly up close and personal with the chap. Did you get to chat to him at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Good work Paul and certainly a good effort at something completely new to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Great set, you captured some really poignant moments there which isn't easy at all as I found out at the recent gas explosion in Blackrock.

It's a relief to see Guido smile, partly that's me being selfish because the thoughts of him having a life of pain would be upsetting. It's also the natural concern for ones fellow man, and that theme comes accross well in the set as we see Gardai, politicians, volunteers, and ordinary people rally round in support, wishing it had never happened but now hoping he can find contentment.

Like others I look at the images and wonder just how you get on with such a different life. I think you'd go mad if you focussed only on the injustice and comparing what is with what you had expected. Maybe one way of looking at it is that if this burden had to be carried by someone, would you volunteer to carry it in place of a loved one? Maybe Guidos sacrifice took a brutal thug out of circulation who might otherwise have killed someone.

Thankfully Guido is still with us, and his visit back to Ireland has once again had a positive impact. Like ripples in a pond the waves spread through the minds of people, tipping the scales away from insular negativity towards open fellowship. It's a timely reminder in the economic downturn where jobs are being lost, not to turn on people who have arrived relatively recently and are just trying to make their way in life like we Irish have done accross the globe.

As time goes by Guido becomes more of an inspiration, and I'm sure we all wish him well in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

bloody hell that was a very quick 10 years. I thought it was only 4 or 5 for some reason. Remember when it happened, wanted to burst the people who did it to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

very nice stuff there lads. I heard his story earlier yesterday morning on the radio - a very humble individual with no ill feeling whatsoever towards the country - quite to the contrary.

well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Very well done arcipel... All well composed and sharp as a tack. Did you do much processing?

@border, let us know if shot is in papers today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Shep, I was shooting in Raw on two Nikon bodies, D700 & Sigma 24-70/2.8 with an SB-800 speedlight and a D300 & Sigma 70-200/2.8 with an SB-600 speedlight, then processed in Lightroom. I had about 250 shots by the end of the day but felt these were the strongest. I am sure the pro's (like Keith) probably have a much higher ratio of shots used compared to the amount they have taken ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

some really good shots there indeed.

Does Keith pay well ?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great shots!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I can't believe it's been 10 years either, the poor lad.
    The photos look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Just fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Great job!! Really moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

shots look great Paulus Maximus - well impressive :)

Advertisement