Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Enterprise?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Most posters here grew up watching TNG. Im a bit more old school than that, grew up watching TOS when it was on tv, then I figured out the VCR player moved onto the movies, then like everyone started watching TNG.

Im surprised at all the love for 1701-E. I always thought it looked too 80's. Bland generic design, too sciency not militeristic at all. I did however feel an uncontrolable rage when Riker broke it in Generations. But I usually feel an uncontrolable rage whenever Riker's on screen. First time in command and the guy destroys the ship. Worst First Officer Ever.

So for me the coolest ship out of the lot of them was the NC 1701-A. It looks like a hot rod car. Wicked fat assed engine section (I could always picture Scotty, in the engine room sonic spannering something , two savage tailpipes coming out of it, goofy curve on the NCC-1701 saucer section tonned down a little bit, and wicked blue go faster warp naccels and deflector dish.

Personally I remember after watching the tv shows, seeing the 1701-A.
    Good times, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

btw - i meant to say in my orginal post - im glad you dont have an option to vote for that thing in JJ's movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

oxygen wrote: »

Im surprised at all the love for 1701-E. I always thought it looked too 80's. Bland generic design, too sciency not militeristic at all. I did however feel an uncontrolable rage when Riker broke it in Generations. But I usually feel an uncontrolable rage whenever Riker's on screen. First time in command and the guy destroys the ship. Worst First Officer Ever.

What are you talkin' about? Sure Troy was driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

E or D?

chamlis wrote: »
    What are you talkin' about? Sure Troy was driving!

And Data was stoned on emotion

"Life Forms.... You tiny little life forms....You precious life forms.. Where are you?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

E or D?

He means D (damn I hated that ship, and getting taken out by a 20 year old bird of prey too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Crap, yea, I meant D not E. And Troy was driving, crap again. Im sure Riker was still somehow responsible somehow. Now I have to dig out that generations DVD and sit trough it again, imagine if I was in the pub and I made those trek faux pas. eek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Crap, yea, I meant D not E. And Troy was driving, crap again. Im sure Riker was still somehow responsible somehow. Now I have to dig out that generations DVD and sit trough it again, imagine if I was in the pub and I made those trek faux pas. eek

Give Riker some credit. He had 3 fantastic moments commanding the Enterprise:

In Best of Both Worlds Pt II he was literally a nanosecond from instructing the helmsman to plot a kamikaze course directly into the Borg Cube, to save Earth. Bear in mind, there were families on board! That was a badass moment of knowing what's right, right there.

In All Good Things... he commanded the retrofitted Enterprise-D (which I labeled the 1701-D mk II, due to its extra nacelle and phaser cannon.) He was so confident in his, his crew's, and his ship's abilities, and so accustomed to the labours of a cold war with the Klingons, that when he delivered a plethora of phaserfire upon the gigantic and monstrous Neghvar-class attack cruisers, he described it as "getting their attention."

And in Insurrection (what an impotent and unimportant Trek movie eh?) he fearlessly ejected the warp core from the E to save his boys and girls, despite the near-certainty of their deaths at the hands of the space-pirate Son'aa and their terrifying antimatter bombs.

Riker was in my mind Picard's steady hand, his loyal XO. Even in Generations he showed his battle-readiness, preparing Worf to unleash a flurry of photon torpedoes upon the Bird of Prey as soon as her cloak flatered. That command remained in the film, despite its stringent budget insisting only one torpedo actually show up onscreen, and the resulting explosion being copy-and-pasted directly from its three-year-old predecessor, The Undiscovered Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Give Riker some credit. He had 3 fantastic moments commanding the Enterprise:

In Best of Both Worlds Pt II he was literally a nanosecond from instructing the helmsman to plot a kamikaze course directly into the Borg Cube, to save Earth. Bear in mind, there were families on board! That was a badass moment of knowing what's right, right there.

In All Good Things... he commanded the retrofitted Enterprise-D (which I labeled the 1701-D mk II, due to its extra nacelle and phaser cannon.) He was so confident in his, his crew's, and his ship's abilities, and so accustomed to the labours of a cold war with the Klingons, that when he delivered a plethora of phaserfire upon the gigantic and monstrous Neghvar-class attack cruisers, he described it as "getting their attention."

And in Insurrection (what an impotent and unimportant Trek movie eh?) he fearlessly ejected the warp core from the E to save his boys and girls, despite the near-certainty of their deaths at the hands of the space-pirate Son'aa and their terrifying antimatter bombs.

Riker was in my mind Picard's steady hand, his loyal XO. Even in Generations he showed his battle-readiness, preparing Worf to unleash a flurry of photon torpedoes upon the Bird of Prey as soon as her cloak flatered. That command remained in the film, despite its stringent budget insisting only one torpedo actually show up onscreen, and the resulting explosion being copy-and-pasted directly from its three-year-old predecessor, The Undiscovered Country.

Yar, Riker was cool in a way. He was a bit of an ass, with the lame romances and the swaggering about, "hahaha I am Riker" behaviour but it provided funny moments in the series. Although he was a bit of a douche towards the lower ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Yar, Riker was cool in a way. He was a bit of an ass, with the lame romances and the swaggering about, "hahaha I am Riker" behaviour but it provided funny moments in the series. Although he was a bit of a douche towards the lower ranks.

I think he was meant to be the Kirk of the show, but it didn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think he was meant to be the Kirk of the show, but it didn't work

yeah thats it. I guess he didn't have the same dark side as Kirk did. But I don't think less of the character for it. He was the 80s/90s newman, cheesy and lame. Imo its that cheesy lameness which makes his character commendable.

yeah thats it. I guess he didn't have the same dark side as Kirk did. But I don't think less of the character for it. He was the 80s/90s newman, cheesy and lame. Imo its that cheesy lameness which makes his character commendable.

bang on. at the time of the show, he was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

NX01:
    To me, looks ridiculous. Too flat, too boring, too ungainly. Doesn't even resemble a Federation Starship.

Or this...

NCC 1701 mk1:
    Classic design. Screams of the 60s with its psychadelic spinning hubs on its nacelles and charmingly simple-looking "Sky dish" on its secondary hull. Great bright metallic colour, just an awesome design.

This lead to...

NCC 1701 mk2 / 1701-A:
    Excellent upgrade. Overall a sleeker, meaner, more realistic take on its predecessor's design. Love the blue glowing deflector dish. In the battle-scene with Chang in STVI, as it cruises by his viewscreen, even though you know it's a miniature model it looks and feels like a real ship.

Some didn't...

NCC 1701-B:
    Excelsior with extra pimpage on the deflector dish. only had that ridge added to spare the original model damage, for future use in DS9. Looked like a rush job, I felt let down when I saw it. I figured it would have its own iconic design. But then, STVII had a small budget.

Talking of small budgets...

NCC 1701-C:
    Meh. Looks odd. A bit stunted. Peter David made it sound like a deadly class (Ambassador) in his first few New Frontier books). Still, not enough thought went into it. Then again it was a rush job for a 48-hour time limited screenplay, for a massively underbudgeted ep (Yesterday's Enterprise).

For that show...

NCC 1701-D:
    Didn't like it at the start. Way too top heavy. But as the series progressed, the budget increased and the effects improved, they found new angles, making it seem more like a city in space rather than an astral elephant. A bit too rounded but then that was down to Roddenberry's insistence on future Starfleet being Nice Guys.

Which brings me to...

NCC 1701-D mk2:
    In "All Good Things" the Federation is in a Cold War with the Klingons, and so the Enterprise now proudly bears a third, middle nacelle (for "Warp thirteen" apparently) and a rather convenient gigantic phaser cannon mounted on the saucer's belly. Bit of a stretch of logic but awesome in its badassery.

Here's another badass design...

NCC 1701-E:
    An amazing design, from the moment it was backlit by the Crab Nebula in "First Contact". Dropped the "neck" and made it look actually 100 years more advanced than Kirk's ship. Looked deadly battling the Scimitar in the green nebula in "Nemesis". Too bad about the film.

NCC 1701-J:
    Yuck.

The D mark too was awesome, it had a cloak, third nacell and giant phaser cannon as well as a few extra phasers and a cool bridge it even Had Captain Riker.

Advertisement