Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most disappointing movie adaptation of a book

Options
  • 01-04-2009 11:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So folks, as it says above, what for you was the most disastrous movie adaptation of a book? This can be so disappointing particularly if the book was a favourite of yours

The one that springs to mind for me ( as I was talking about it in work today) is the recent Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy which was so seriously awful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation
    Absolutly brilliant book by investigative journalist Eric Schlosser

The movie was rubbish. Top actors like Greg Kinnear and Bruce Willis couldn't save it.
    Cameo from Avril Lavigne too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Handmaid's Tale and Bonfire of the Vanities would be two obvious ones that immediately spring to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Lord of the Rings.

Could have been worse, but quite frankly I would have preferred if they never bothered making a film for such a seminal book.

A close second is The Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Not exactly a book, but I was expecting something good from the "Judge Dredd" film, and it was awful beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There was actually a hell of a lot they got right about the Judge Dread film.

It's just let down by the fact that they got the title character wrong and gave him an annoying sidekick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Well when i heard they had changed to ending of The Horse Whisperer when they made it to a film I refused to watch it. Its a favourite book of mine from my early teens and to this day I haven't seen the movie...won't watch anything with Redford now!!

Really loved the LOTR movies but was very sad that Tom Bombadil wasn't in them :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

David Brin's "The Postman".

Not only were whole segments dropped, the film lacked the sense of pace & struggle of the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Denerick wrote: »

Have to agree. I thought the movie adaptation was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The hitchikers guide to the galaxy was brutal.

High fidelity was a big dissapointment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Unfortunatly most of the Stephen King adaptations, but in particular The Stand & IT.

The list goes on from there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

"Stuey" aka High Roller, a shockingly bad adaptation of the book "One of a Kind; The Stu Ungar story"

• Registered Users Posts: 41 IrishGooner83

Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich was a great book....

I had high hopes for the film version when Kevin Spacey was announced in the cast, However film was a big let down... Great book tho.

Another one was Runaway Jury..... Again thought the book was very well put together with plenty of suspense.... But despite the best efforts of Hackman, Cusack and Weisz the film never had that same edge of suspense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The Watchmen for that sex scene alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

American Psycho

Now before anyone goes off on a tangent about the movie,Bales performance etc let me explain.

A book like AP,is IMO,virtually unfilmable because the best parts of the book are all in Pat Batemans head.One scene that springs automatically to mind is the scene with the business cards.In the book it is just amazingly cringe worthy and you can picture yourself as Bateman.Things like that are simply not transferable to the movie screen(inner-monologues)and I have never seen a movie that has managed to pull the transfer off.This coupled with the toning down of the violence took away from the movie as a whole also.I know Hollywood frowns down on
    showing child murders
    on screen and
    the scene with the lady and the rat couldnt be shown in graphic detail but it could have been implied/off screen etc
    as I believe they are 2 of the key scenes in Batemans descent.

Dont get me wrong,its not that its a bad movie,AFAIC its Bales career best performance but I was so dissappointed with the overall difference between book and movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

giddybootz wrote: »
    Well when i heard they had changed to ending of The Horse Whisperer when they made it to a film I refused to watch it. Its a favourite book of mine from my early teens and to this day I haven't seen the movie...won't watch anything with Redford now!!

Really loved the LOTR movies but was very sad that Tom Bombadil wasn't in them :(

how did the book end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Bonfire of the Vanities.

MooseJam wrote: »
    how did the book end ?

Sauron wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

V for Vendetta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Denerick wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings.

Could have been worse, but quite frankly I would have preferred if they never bothered making a film for such a seminal book.

DUDE NO! Forgive me, but I haven't read through the whole thread, cuz I seriously had to just say NOOO, the adaptations, particularly The Fellowship Of The Ring do the best job that could ever have been done, to what everyone agrees was/is a seminal work. Props to Peter Jackson. Dude, don't be a hater..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Animal Farm. Because of the changed ending. Completely fncks up the whole point of the book. stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

id agree with the runaway jury, and hitchikers guide,
    one that i havnt seen, but probably will disappoint is the golden compass, really loved the books

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

gman2k wrote: »
    Bonfire of the Vanities.
    +100.

Melanie fcuking Griffith? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

All the Pretty Horses was just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

I am Legend - what a waste of a good story.

DUDE NO! Forgive me, but I haven't read through the whole thread, cuz I seriously had to just say NOOO, the adaptations, particularly The Fellowship Of The Ring do the best job that could ever have been done, to what everyone agrees was/is a seminal work. Props to Peter Jackson. Dude, don't be a hater..

Please do not EVER use the word Dude again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I enjoyed the LOTR movies to be honest, and was glad that a lot was left out, lets face it reading about dwarves family history and having them sing for pages on end is bad enough in a book, but in a movie would be torture.

I was also disappointed with the film Contact, based on Carl Sagan's novel of the same name. Didnt like the lead lady as played by jodie Foster, she wasnt right for the part, and the huge central theme of religious awakening/revelation wasn't explored properly. Not a brilliant novel to be fair, but it certainly became a crap movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

zesman wrote: »
    Have to agree. I thought the movie adaptation was terrible.
    That was really really bad, that final scene in the film where they are having a party on the beach with stacked up speakers and a dj booth. What a waste of a decent tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

BLACK HAWK DOWN

seriously, they may aswell have rewritten so that the yanks won and came back to a ticker tape parade.
    Absolute US cinema hype, RUBBISH!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

994 wrote: »
    V for Vendetta

Seconded. I wish they'd stop turning Alan Moore's work into summer blockbusters.

Though a lot of people here seem to think that the best way to adapt a book to the screen is to present you with a facsimile of the book on screen. I think it's far more important that the themes and central feeling of the book be preserved than the plot or superficial aspects of the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Animal farm was such a good book - what did they do with the ending in the film?

Advertisement