Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The need of all the community stations in Dublin

• 01-04-2009 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Will someone tell me why the hell we need all 50 community radio stations broadcasting in Dublin. I mean why do we need them? What real purpose do they serve? Are they just another waste of tax payers money? Whats wrong with having one community station for the northside and one for the southside a bit like the free paper. Are they serving their purpose other than been heard 50 miles from where they are located?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

bbability wrote: »
    Will someone tell me why the hell we need all 50 community radio stations broadcasting in Dublin. I mean why do we need them? What real purpose do they serve? Are they just another waste of tax payers money? Whats wrong with having one community station for the northside and one for the southside a bit like the free paper. Are they serving their purpose other than been heard 50 miles from where they are located?

Well it's just like you said 'a bit like the free paper'. Bland trash that's only good for peeling the spuds on. The varity that's afforded on these station is because of the numbers. One big station either side of the liffey would surely just lead to a common, banal form of radio that attempts to fit one size for all when some the audience is in fact for more roundy than other members of the audience.

OP do you not like them? Why? Do you think that they would benefit from consolidation and if so why so?

Personally I enjoy the different formats of each station. Although I would question your numbers. I haven't come anywhere near counting 50. Maybe 5 at a push. Do you have a list of them and where on the dial they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

http://www.bci.ie/licensed_operators/community_radio.html

You can find a list of all the licenced community radio stations here - incidentally there's only 18 on the whole country.

Each station has had to go through a fairly exhaustive process to get a licence (I know, having done it myself). I'll admit, a lot of the content will be far from polished, but I know local communities really appreciate having the stations there.

As for taxpayers money - you have a point there; some stations have Pobal/Council grants, but a lot of the extra is from advertising, sponsorship, special programme schemes, renting equipment and old-fashioned fund-raising. All-told stations run on very little, often having no paid staff!

I'll admit, I've got my community radio hat on as I'm a card carrying member of CRAOL:The Community Radio Forum of Ireland :pac:
    http://www.craol.ie/

Advertisement