Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fogging visor/lens problems and how to fix them

Options
  • 01-04-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of making new topics but Ive seen this problem popping up here and on other forums quite a bit and I thought this might save some people from ripping out their hair in frustration and risking eye injury trying to fix it during a game.

I do scuba diving a lot and when you get a new mask it ALWAYS fogs. What's happened is that in the factory, while fitting the lenses, they've been lightly coated with a silicone-like solution.
    This helps protect against scratches and the like and makes fitting the lens easier.
    It also, unfortunately, makes the plastic hydrophobic meaning it'll form condensation in the form of tiny drops - fog!

To remove this stupid layer of stupidity that should have been removed in the factory, the handiest thing to do is to get a little toothpaste and rub it around on the lenses and then wash it of.
    This lightly scratches and removes part of the stupid layer of gunk without damaging the glass/plastic lens.
    Unfortunately because of the nature of the layer of crap it can, for want of a better word, melt back into place, abet much thinner but still causing the damn fogging.

But not to worry, all this means is that you may need to do this a number of times over the period of about a week to a month at most and then it's, usually, happy days!!!

I had originally posted this in a thread in the sale section but it'd just get lost in there.
    Hope this helps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Thanks for the tip. This might sound stupid but does it matter what type of toothpaste you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

yup, must be collgate total care.....

just kidding. nah, it doesnt, all your looking for is your standard toothpaist with the tiny grains to scrape off the gunk

yup, must be collgate total care.....

just kidding. nah, it doesnt, all your looking for is your standard toothpaist with the tiny grains to scrape off the gunk

I read the first line and immediately yelled out "Crap I don't have Colgate". :D
    Thanks again!

hahahaha! no prob :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Must give it a try. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Nice one. Thanks.

Just a thought, maybe a mod should sticky this? Its handy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Nice one. Thanks.

Just a thought, maybe a mod should sticky this? Its handy stuff

I second this, really should be a sticky.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭MiniAirsofter

heyjay14 wrote: »
    I second this, really should be a sticky.:)

Dead right! Definitely a sticky, the amount of posts of people complaining about fogging up is shocking!:D

thanks dudes, but it doesnt really matter if it gets stickyed, once a few people havew seen it it'll get spread around and it'll become common knowlage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

thanks so much,, i always wear a balavaclava and this has saved me so much hassle, thanks

ps. sticky this ftw :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

just another little tip, i hope flying squirl doesnt mind me adding this, is to drill a series of 4mm holes around the outer edge of the lens..this allows air in to stop condensation building up and the holes are also small enough to not allow bb's pass through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

just another little tip, i hope flying squirl doesnt mind me adding this, is to drill a series of 4mm holes around the outer edge of the lens..this allows air in to stop condensation building up and the holes are also small enough to not allow bb's pass through

Wouldnt that void your warrenty
    As it would "undermine" the strength of the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

im sure it would void the warranty though anyone ive spoken to that has done its has said nothin bout it weakening them, your only talkin about a 4mil hole ever 10mil or so

If you do this be careful not to hit the lenses with the drill bit.

The goggles will be fine strength wise. But I suppose some people don't like voiding they're warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

a tiny bot of wash up liquid on the lense and wipe it off again make the lense crystal clear and dont fog... it worked last time for me perfectly. First time to do it... In scuba diving we also spit in mask and wash it out but that doesnt work in airsoft.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭AUDIE MURPHY

I have used many different types of anti fogging ideas for goggles..the one i found works best is to buy a packet of "windowleen wipes" they come in a handy packet similar to baby wipes the plus is you can carry a spare one for a while while skirmishing..try them...but one of the main problems with fogging isnt "FOGGING" as such but condensation from sweat ..one site suggests using mens stick deodrant on your forehead to stop heavy sweating , havent tried this yet to see if it works..i hope this helps

I have used many different types of anti fogging ideas for goggles..the one i found works best is to buy a packet of "windowleen wipes" they come in a handy packet similar to baby wipes the plus is you can carry a spare one for a while while skirmishing..try them...but one of the main problems with fogging isnt "FOGGING" as such but condensation from sweat ..one site suggests using mens stick deodrant on your forehead to stop heavy sweating , havent tried this yet to see if it works..i hope this helps

I'd say the windowleen would make your goggles stink like hell though. And wouldn't windowleen not sting for eyes from the vapor? Or is it not a problem?

TBH I think everyone knows its not actually fog in their goggles. And I think the main cause of fogging is hot breath (At least it is for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

I get a lot of mileage from a good coating of human saliva rubbed about in there (also a scuba diving trick). Classy guy, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Fogtech solution.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭AUDIE MURPHY

no the windowleen doesnt stink when it dries and it doesnt sting your eyes either.. fog tech works but the price difference and amount windowleen wins,,,try it its around 4 euro for a large pack in tescos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Lemming wrote: »
    Fogtech solution.

Job done.

Yep fogtech wipes also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

Fairy liquid works but it has to be fairly dilute or else you get smudged vision. I heard that the fogtechs have to be used constantly or the fogging gets worse. Note using fogtechs over time does add up over time. Could end up costing a bit.

Advertisement