Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eyesight problem

• 02-04-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm 17 and in 5th year at the moment. I'm thinking (early thoughts) of joining the army when I finish the LC, but I've got one problem.

The fitness won't be bad, I can train for that. I've got no convictions, I'm drugs free, etc. Clean as a whistle, but my eyesight is fairly poor.
    I'm fairly short sighted, and I need glasses to see things a bit away from me. I don't know the proper balance of vision/vision level but I'll find out.
    I hope my chances aren't ruined by this, although I was at Collins Barracks a few months ago and one of the soldiers giving us the tour said eyesight wasn't a major problem, he knew some great marksmen who had bad eyes.

If my chances are ruined, would me using contacts help at all? :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hello, I'm 17 and in 5th year at the moment. I'm thinking (early thoughts) of joining the army when I finish the LC, but I've got one problem.

The fitness won't be bad, I can train for that. I've got no convictions, I'm drugs free, etc. Clean as a whistle, but my eyesight is fairly poor.
    I'm fairly short sighted, and I need glasses to see things a bit away from me. I don't know the proper balance of vision/vision level but I'll find out.
    I hope my chances aren't ruined by this, although I was at Collins Barracks a few months ago and one of the soldiers giving us the tour said eyesight wasn't a major problem, he knew some great marksmen who had bad eyes.

If my chances are ruined, would me using contacts help at all? :/

The army has a standard for vision without correction and with correction - basically they accept people that need glasses and contacts but within certain limits. There are different standards required for general service recruits and cadets. As things stand, any form of laser correction is currently prohibited for the PDF before enlistment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

neilled wrote: »
    The army has a standard for vision without correction and with correction - basically they accept people that need glasses and contacts but within certain limits. There are different standards required for general service recruits and cadets. As things stand, any form of laser correction is currently prohibited for the PDF before enlistment.

Thanks. I'll try ot speak with my friend too later, he works in Collins Barracks.

Advertisement