Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to catch a bat?

• 02-04-2009 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

This is a slighty weird question, but anyway a bat has somehow come down from my attic into one of the rooms in my house, but has got disoriented and cant find its way back up. I know this may be a long shot but would any of ye know how to catch a bat? Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

Obviously tried opening up the windows in the room and leaving it be for a while? i've never trapped a bat before but I had a similar problem with a thrush in my room. I threw a towel over it and carefully let it out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ah the poor little chap. Try the towel technique. If he is to fast use a blanket or something. Are ya throwing him in any food. I'd wanna keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You might try and contact these people ...

http://www.batconservationireland.org/index.php

They might be able to help you out with some hints on how best to catch him / her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I always find opening the window to be the most effective. Make sure blinds or curtains are out of the wat. A cloth has worked for me at times but rarely nneded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Alun wrote: »
    You might try and contact these people ...

http://www.batconservationireland.org/index.php

They might be able to help you out with some hints on how best to catch him / her.

I second contacting these guys. Had dealings before and they were very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Get a pair of womans tights,wrap a small stone up in it and just lob it across the room without braking anything,he might go for the stone thinking its a fly and his nails will be caught in the tights..open the door and let him go...

Seen my grandfather doin this ten years ago,he wanting to show me what a bat looked like,,let him go again of course,,dont see why he didnt just bring me to the zoo,but thats my grandad for ya,lord rest him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

Thanks for the replys guys. In the end i caught him with a towl and took him outside. He turned out to be a pipistrelle.

Advertisement