Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 9: UK Vs. US (Official Discussion Thread) *SPOILERS*

Options
  • 02-04-2009 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

tuf9large.jpg
    The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom is the ninth installment of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) produced reality television series The Ultimate Fighter, began production in January 2009, and began airing on Spike on April 1, 2009. The season features Lightweight fighters (146-155 lb) and Welterweight fighters (156-170 lb). In order to be considered for the show, a fighter had to have competed in at least three professional bouts prior to the tryouts in October 2008.

UFC Middleweight fighter Michael Bisping will serve as one of the two coaches. The other coach will be Dan Henderson. Henderson earned his place as a coach at UFC 93: Franklin vs. Henderson by defeating Rich Franklin.

Bisping and Henderson will fight each other at UFC 100 on July 11, 2009.

Show started last night in the US and will be shown in Ireland and the UK this Sunday (April 5th) on Virgin One. That episode will then be repeated on Wednesdays at 10pm on Setanta Sports.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Bisping's team may actually win this. Lots of bluffing and double bluffing going on in the internet coverage Ive read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

love the 1st episode of the season , as its all fights.

some good matches in episode one in the uk. there was one guy i was really glad to see not make it :D

leg locks a plenty in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

calex71 wrote: »
    there was one guy i was really glad to see not make it :D

Amen to that !!!
    If I had to listen to one more word from that 'reidinator' muppet I would have exploded. His one moment of silence when he lost the decision was priceless :p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Got to say, I love the subtitles for the Liverpool accent in the first fight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

there was one guy i was really glad to see not make it :D

I'm sure everyone feels the same. Annoying performance by him, talking and taunting while on his back. If he had used that energy to try work something he probably could have won.

Was a good season opener, all action. Loved the way they had to subtitle the first scouse guy. Nice performance by Ross Pearson, unlucky not to finish the fight in the 1st round.

Looking forward to seeing what the Americans have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Next week's episode looks good, thou it seems to show
    the americans as piss poor

Dont think we need the spoiler tags as it has it in the thread title.

Cant remember the guys name in this weeks, but was funny when he got up after the Ko and asked his opponent what he hit him with, ouch.

Have to admit i needed them subtitles :D

next week looks like fun with the yanks struggling to make weight.

Did yee see the size of the cauliflower in that guys ear, my god thats another Kimbo Vs Thompson waiting to happen.

The guy with cauliflower ears' name is Martin Stapleton, and he is on a 4 fight winning streak at the moment (5-1-0). He is also a Royal Marine from what I have read, and is a fitness instructor with them, the guy is going to dominate on the cardio side of things I'd say.

I wonder if the US team was chosen to avoid having too many wrestlers in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

some good matches in episode one in the uk. there was one guy i was really glad to see not make it :D

Woooooooo :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 interpol86

cool cant wait to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah first episode wasn't bad lookin forward to next weeks, some of them had real trouble making weight.

ha ha ha ha this week is classic, all i'll say is team usa plan to win by giving team uk herpies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Was expecting Che Mills and the 'knob-inator' to get through.
    How were the fighters/fights decided, does anyone know?
    Are these the best fighters available or is there a certain criteria required?

This isn't the first time that there has been problems with guys making weight all the same. You'd think that they would have copped on by now. Like Dana said, the UK team are out to win, and by the looks of things they might well have the advantage at this stage.

It was the 1st time someone was kicked off for having herpies though :D

From the 1st two eps i count 3 or 4 lads that the coaches knew personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

It was the 1st time someone was kicked off for having herpies though :D

From the 1st two eps i count 3 or 4 lads that the coaches knew personally.

I thought someone was kicked off last season or maybe the season before for having herpes. He had a rash on his neck.

LeoGilly wrote: »
    I thought someone was kicked off last season or maybe the season before for having herpes. He had a rash on his neck.

Possibly but then i have a memory like a goldfish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Herpes on his fcking head, man thats just sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The only one so far to make an impression for me was the English dude Ross Pearson. Looks a pitbull.

Looking forward to the series getting going now that the majority of the "cast" are picked.

Ona sidenote, how are the last 16 determined? Is there an elimination process before this or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

LeoGilly wrote: »

Paul Bradley is the fellow you're on about. He had a staph infection on his neck in TUF7 and was replaced by Patrick Schultz. Seen Jesse Taylor win some regional middleweight title in Colorado on Inside MMA over the weekend.

gimmick wrote: »
    The only one so far to make an impression for me was the English dude Ross Pearson. Looks a pitbull.

Looking forward to the series getting going now that the majority of the "cast" are picked.

Ona sidenote, how are the last 16 determined? Is there an elimination process before this or what?

Yeah I thought the same re: ''picked''

I think there are usually some form of auditions held, I definitely recall there being some in the UK for this season, I guess Bispings pals just breezed through the opposition :rolleyes:

Maybe a little unfair my saying that as I have no idea what kind of auditions they had or what the competition was like for the spots etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jesus Christ. Rob Browning :mad: Why do they give these people tv time.
    Thankfully he was beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Not really surprised at Brownings behavior since we know who he's related too. Getting drunk and picking 2 fights on the first night wasn't a great start.

Was nice to see him get beaten. He didn't look too bad in the opening exchanges but really didn't know how to defend himself on the ground. You could tell Dent just wanted to punish him with strikes. He had numerous chances to take a leg while Browning was cowering on the ground but instead went for the strikes.

Couldn't have been happier to see Reid go. I think Lester had the arm secured before/during the slam and might have held on if Reid was conscious. Horrible attitude from Reid after the defeat. Granted he knocked himself out but don't start mouthing off about how your opponent can't beat you 20 seconds after the fight is over. Then trying to square up to Lester while he puts out his hand, disgraceful.

I don't like the way everyone is getting along so well, would like to see a bit more competition between the nations. Nice to see Bisping stiring it up. Really lit a fire under Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

the whole browning thing was sch an obvious publicity stunt - as one of the other fighters said - he was looking for his 15 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

Shazbot wrote: »
    I don't like the way everyone is getting along so well, would like to see a bit more competition between the nations.

That wont last too long i'd say. Listening to that guy in the van going on about how they UK guys are entering their back yard yadda yadda yadda. He sounds like a fool.

Anyone else get the impression browning was just trying too hard to 'emulate' his brother?
    Glad to see him beaten. Junie pissed me off last series, did not want the same crap over and again. Agreed re Reid. Seemed a terrible sore loser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

Killme00 wrote: »
    Herpes on his fcking head, man thats just sick

If it was on his "f*cking head" i could understand it, but it was on his normal head!! LOL

How embarrassing...

Its not that uncommon. FFS, a common cold sore on your mouth is a strain of herpes. So I doubt the fella was sticking his head anywhere he shouldn't :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

"you didn't beat me,i beat myself."what an idiot.i hope the brits take a few yankee scalps this season.

Advertisement