Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 9: UK Vs. US (Official Discussion Thread) *SPOILERS*

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Swizz wrote: »
    Im suprised Wilks beat Frank again but then again Frank was battered and bruised.
    It was funny when someone shouted at Damarques at the end.

Really because Wilks has much better stand up and has a better ground game. Wilks is a more technical striker (in MMA then say a boxer) then Frank, who really is just a brawler.

Andre and Wilks to win the final easily a enough in my opinion, much better strikers and have more ground game then there opponents from what the show shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I hope Damarques gets destroyed. So cocky, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I am just glad that season is over. Dont see much scope for any fighters to make it in the UFC. Wilks's standup was sloppy, other than the crisp jabs. He was far more confident with his strikes than I feel he had any right to be, and with his hands so low was at risk of a KO from a big puncher like Frank.

I thought it was very funny when Bisping heckled Frank for the lowblow, when Wilks had just done the same to Frank in the previous round. Bisping has no shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

My first 3 month Summer stint at Next Gen, Wilks was training there he got his blue the following year from Chris, I rolled with him pretty much every day. His biggest problem on the ground is his fixation with leg locks which he has moved on from. While he lands them some of the time, heel hook in qualifier for example, he goes for them far too often and gives up good position. His striking was always unorthodox, when I was out there he was teaching JKD at a different location and loosely affiliated with Paul Vunak. He struggled against good thai fighters with low kicks. I thought he would make the final given the match ups he got but I cant see him having a long career in the UFC given the division he is trying to get into. Nice guy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 swaaaa

just watched the last episode, i think the brits are far stronger

the americans are gay,them boys need to man up.

cant see anyone making major inroads in the ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

swaaaa wrote: »

the americans are gay,them boys need to man up.

Great inside info, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Jason Dent vs. Cameron Dollar
    * Frank Lester vs. Nick Osipczak
    * Mike Ciesnolevicz vs. Tomasz Drwal
    * Brad Blackburn vs. Edgar Garcia
    * Melvin Guillard vs. Gleison Tibau

Frankies fighting again?? how long has it been since the TUF fights?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

sanclay.jpg

Sweet picture

Didnt watch this season but Im going to watch the show tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

paulieeye wrote: »
    Frankies fighting again?? how long has it been since the TUF fights?

Months!

I think Mask from Tapout was at the last fights and he's been dead ..... months

good night of fighting in the finale.

1st fight with Diaz was testament to the ground game, entertaining and grapling for most.

Wilks took care of demarques big time.

last fight with sanchez was quality!! turned into a bloody battle. both fighters sluggin it out within the first 10sec, very entertaining. Quida took some hits but stood standing..well deserved fight of the night

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Groin grabbingly good show. Catch the replay if Setanta stays on air for that long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wilks beating Johnson easily was great to see. I really do not like the arrogance that Johnson showed during TUF.

Clay Guida and Diego Sanchez. What can you say. Some head kick and Clay Guida bounced back as if it didn't happen. Fantastic fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fantastic night of fights 10/10 , delivered more bang for buck fights than any of the ufc cards recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Good fights. They awarded three fight of the night bonuses, for Stevenson's, Lytle's and Sanchez's fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Did Wilks mock Frank?

What did he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

That was good, very enjoyable

That Joe Rogan comedy looks good, anyone know where i can get it

Watched that Joe Rogan show after the fights. v funny, pissing myself for most of it :D

Looked up the undercard on wiki there. Poor old Frankie lost again. Dent got submission of the night, 25k bonus..not bad! Seen there too he had fought in UFC before with 2 losses, didnt know that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just watched the edited version and it was the best UFC event in a good while.

Sanchez and Guida was brilliant.

Even the ref knew it was going to be, "You ready? You ready? Let's go to war!" BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

The other fights were all good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

the sanchez guida fight was brilliant 2 nut jobs let loose in a cage, dissapointed guida didnt get the win but great event overall

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Great to see so much striking and so little ground game...all the guys they showed on the fianle wanted to stand and bang...along with Lytle and then the main event was a war...i love Guida!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Judomad wrote: »
    Great to see so much striking and so little ground game...all the guys they showed on the fianle wanted to stand and bang...along with Lytle and then the main event was a war...i love Guida!!

They obviously didn't show the Diaz Vs Stephenson match then?

I quite like Guida too, but it's probably been said here before .... He really needs to cut that hair ..... he wont though lol, but he should it least tie it back as it muct be effecting is ability to see.

I used to fight with long hair but that was karate lol .

A better event than alot of recent UFC events.

THe TUF fighters actually looked like fighters, unlike when they were fighting in the house, and looked like amateurs. Wilks schooled Demarques, and even though the Winner- Pierson fight wasnt exciting, they still looked more skillful than they did in the past.

Chris Lytle is starting to bug me. Leaving aside Burns's triangle of Roan Carneiro, Lytle should have a huge advantage on the ground, but once again, engages in a three round brawl, and leaves it up to the judges.

Really enjoyed the Stevenson Diaz fight, especially this bit:http://www.cagepotato.com/ultimate-fighter-9-finale-aftermath-bonuses-undercard-results-more. Training at team Jackson has been good for Joe.

The main event was spectacular. Interesting scoring by the judges, that effective striking from bootom is scored above control from top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

With regard to the main event, i saw this post on another forum and it summes up my view...

"If Guida ever does get to be champ, he'll never be dethroned. That guy was made for 5 round wars. Huerta was the only guy who's ever been able to finish him, and if you gave Guida 5 rounds to wear dudes out, nobody would ever decision him again.

The only difference between defeat and victory for him vs Sanchez was another round or 2 to make up for getting 10-8 in the first. Even so, I gave him the last 2 rounds and would have called it a draw. I don't care what the judges or rankings say. If I could choose from any 155er to have my back in a dark alley, i wouldn't even have to think about it. I want Clay Guida all the way! "

Good event all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

judas101 wrote: »
    With regard to the main event, i saw this post on another forum and it summes up my view...

"If Guida ever does get to be champ, he'll never be dethroned. That guy was made for 5 round wars. Huerta was the only guy who's ever been able to finish him, and if you gave Guida 5 rounds to wear dudes out, nobody would ever decision him again.

Good event all in all

Guida has been submitted numerous times and has shown a vulnerbility in jits defence at a high level. He's a great fighter with incredible pace but he lost soundly enough to Diego imo. I would have given Diaz the nod over him in their fight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

judas101 wrote: »

The only difference between defeat and victory for him vs Sanchez was another round or 2 to make up for getting 10-8 in the first. Even so, I gave him the last 2 rounds and would have called it a draw. I don't care what the judges or rankings say. If I could choose from any 155er to have my back in a dark alley, i wouldn't even have to think about it. I want Clay Guida all the way! "

Good event all in all

To be fair, i would say BJ would murder him standing and on the ground and so would Kenny.
    I really think when BJ has his head right he is unbeatable in that division. Its only when he moves up that he loses fights (except the first fight with Jens). But right now no one can beat BJ at that weight, not at chance. As much as a lot a people dont like him he is really on a different level to the rest of them.

It worries me that BJ may not take the Kenflo fight seriously enough. I am a big fan of both fighters, but I find it very painful to watch BJ lose fights that he should win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

dunkamania wrote: »
    Chris Lytle is starting to bug me. Leaving aside Burns's triangle of Roan Carneiro, Lytle should have a huge advantage on the ground, but once again, engages in a three round brawl, and leaves it up to the judges.

You think lytle could be the new jorge gurgel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

dunkamania wrote: »
    The main event was spectacular. Interesting scoring by the judges, that effective striking from bottom is scored above control from top.

If the lad on top is getting struck effectively then he's not really controlling the top, i think that way of scoring is fair enough, position means zero if you dont use it to your advantage..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Maybe a little harsh, because, Lytle is probably a better striker than groundfighter, wheras Gurgel is opposite.

My main issue is with fighters trying to put on exciting slugfests cos " thats what fans and promoters want".

• Advertisement
Advertisement