Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek Novels

Options
  • 02-04-2009 8:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what the Trek novels are like. I've never really considered reading them, because all I've ever watched has been TNG, but I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions about them. Waste of time? No?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

start with william shatner: "the return" is the first of a 6 book saga that takes place about 20 seconds after the end of star trek generations - best trek fiction i have read

and ofcoarse its william shatner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

IMHO Peter David really captures the excitement of a good Trek story. His New Frontier books are very original and witty. I LOVE Q-Squared: I won't give the plot away but it taps into many signature moments of the Trek saga and believe me when i tell you, he makes every single TNG character a badass in that book. Of course, Q is in it too, and he is awesome.

I bought and read the Shat-Trek books and I personally didn't enjoy them. Shat shared writing cred with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens and it's like reading two novels: one egotistical and ridiculous, the other drily scientific and empty of character or emotion. Again, all IMHO and with respect to user45701.

Some crossover series were good. The Captain's Table books were interesting because not only were the stories themselves good, but you almost heard the character's voice in your head, because it's written as if the captain is speaking directly with you.

Off topic but I would love to read a Trek story written by Dean Koontz or Stephen King. They are experts at characterisation, horror and sci-fantasy. Again Peter David is very good at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

User45701 wrote: »
    start with william shatner: "the return" is the first of a 6 book saga that takes place about 20 seconds after the end of star trek generations - best trek fiction i have read

and ofcoarse its william shatner
    Isn't The Return the 2nd of, something like, 9 books in the Shat-verse? Anyway, it was sort of fun reading it (cos it was pre-Voyager-Borg). But each subsequent book thereafter, they kept turning Kirk more and more into some kind of superhero (albeit a 70yo one). Ashes of Eden was quite good though. I recommend that.

I haven't read any Trek in over 5yrs now, as the whole franchise lost its spark for me. The last good thing I read was that DS9 triliogy - Millennium - which is set in the midst of its sixth season and spans time between the Occupation and 25yrs into the future. Thought it was bloody excellent tbh. Probably not for you tho, OP, as you've only watched TNG.

Advertisement