Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Reading List

Options
  • 02-04-2009 9:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Having recently lost my part time job, and no prospects in the way for the summer, it looks like its going to be a long (Hopefully warm) summer at home away from Dublin. With no money but a lot of books lying around which I've never read, I'm going to tackle them this summer. I want some reccomendations though because I will start using the public library.

In a normal month I'd read anywere between 4-8 books. When I've no college work going on I might read two books, usually non fiction. But after reading a couple of Walter Scott novels and Catch 22 recently my taste for fiction is now back in favour again, after a long time on the sidelines.

Here is what I currently have in the pipeline, waiting for me at home and waiting to be read over the summer:

Scott: Ivanhoe, Red Gauntlet, Heart of Midlothian.
    Dickens: Tale of two cities, David Copperfield.
    Motley: Rise of the Dutch Republic (3 vols)
    Geoghegan: Biographies of Daniel o'Connel and Robert Emmet.

As you can see, a pleasant mix of history and classical fiction. But I've no real experience with more recent novels (When I say recent, I really mean 1950s+) Can anyone reccomend a series of more modern books, preferably satire and strong overtones of black comedy. I read Catch 22 recently which is making nearly any other book I've ever read pale by way of comparison. Also interested in tragic tales but no love stories please, I'd rather not have to puke the summer away.

Alternatively, if like me you are geeky enough to have set aside a summer reading list, post it here. We might learn something!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SassyC

8th Confession
    Little Women
    Dracula
    The Works of Shakespeare
    The Works f Oscar Wilde
    Ulysses
    Alex Cross series
    Jane Eyre
    Wuthering Heights
    Confessions of a Shopaholic