Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Players on Irish Team

• 02-04-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

History created last night with three Waterford born players on the pitch for Ireland!

Well done to the Hunt brothers and John O Shea!

Now did Noel Hunt actually get his foot to the ball ahead of Keane???????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I didn't realise people where saying that Hunt got a foot to it,

I don't think so Robbie is around too long to celebrate like he did if he didn't get a toe to it. Great result though.

Its great for the region I wouldn't be Noel Hunt's biggest fan in the world but at the same time I wouldn't begruge anyone who breaks through like he did.

Fair play to all 3 of them. Steven had a great game he must be pissed off he lost the 70's football player look-a-like contest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

scout353 wrote: »
    History created last night with three Waterford born players on the pitch for Ireland!

Well done to the Hunt brothers and John O Shea!

Now did Noel Hunt actually get his foot to the ball ahead of Keane???????

Stephen Hunt was born in Portlaoise, but spent his childhood in Clonea-Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭mikethemouth

stephen was born in portlaoise but spent all his childhood and teenage yrs in waterford till he moved to palace. he is a big waterford hurling fan and always refers to himself as a waterford man. he spent his childhood playing gaa with clonea-power and juvenille soccer with carrick. noel was born in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

and Jim Beglin commenting on RTE another Waterford lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭mikethemouth

thats right . good spot

juvenille soccer in waterford has always been strong

long may it continue

makes me very proud to be a waterford man with 3 of our players proudly representing our national side

is that stephen ireland i hear you say :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

gscully wrote: »
    Stephen Hunt was born in Portlaoise, but spent his childhood in Clonea-Power.

I humbly apologise for the oversight! Hunty has always considered himself a Waterford man though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True there are several Waterford lads in the professional game in Britain right now. Daryl Murphy with Sunderland, Eddie Nolan ex Waterford Bohs player is with Blackburn Rovers, Willie John Kiely is with Aberdeen

I humbly apologise for the oversight! Hunty has always considered himself a Waterford man though!

Absolutely...and we would all consider him a Waterford man too. It was just the 'Waterford-born' part of your original post that was slightly incorrect. Taking them all as Waterford men in their own right, history was probably still made last night by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

sure John O Shea is a Kilkenny man:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

mike65 wrote: »
    True there are several Waterford lads in the professional game in Britain right now. Daryl Murphy with Sunderland, Eddie Nolan ex Waterford Bohs player is with Blackburn Rovers, Willie John Kiely is with Aberdeen

WJK has been with Waterford United since last season. Eddie Nolan is currently with Preston and doing well for them, Jim Goodwin is playing for Huddersfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

gobo99 wrote: »
    sure John O Shea is a Kilkenny man:P
    north waterford ... like henry shefflin & dj carey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My info is clearly well out of date/plain wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

stephen was born in portlaoise but spent all his childhood and teenage yrs in waterford till he moved to palace. he is a big waterford hurling fan and always refers to himself as a waterford man. he spent his childhood playing gaa with clonea-power and juvenille soccer with carrick. noel was born in waterford.
    Both Hunts went to school in Carrick on Suir CO TIPPERARY!!. Stephen played underage for Carrick utd (was a sub from what I've heard) while Noel played for southend I think..

There from Clonea power alright. It's amazing to think 3 professional footballers came from such a small village if you add in Former Crytal palace player Richie Kennedy too (although he had to retire early through injury)
    old gregg wrote: »
    north waterford ... like henry shefflin & dj carey

Jaysus Ye blaa's would claim anyone :):D

looder wrote: »
    while Noel played for southend I think..

Noel Played for Johnville IIRC, there is a good story that Johnville and Bohs where playing a cup game at youths few years ago it was 0-0 at half time. NH comes on second half after turning up late for match scores 5 goals in 35min and then asked to be subbed off.

That made me laugh when I heard it, I have a couple bad stories but they are not for a public forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

looder wrote: »

Jaysus Ye blaa's would claim anyone :):D
    hell yea, and in case anyone forgets the Obama family from Ballybricken and their son who's making it big in America :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

old gregg wrote: »
    hell yea, and in case anyone forgets the Obama family from Ballybricken and their son who's making it big in America :D

ROFL :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

ziedth wrote: »
    Noel Played for Johnville IIRC, there is a good story that Johnville and Bohs where playing a cup game at youths few years ago it was 0-0 at half time. NH comes on second half after turning up late for match scores 5 goals in 35min and then asked to be subbed off.

That made me laugh when I heard it, I have a couple bad stories but they are not for a public forum.

Noel also scored 6 against Bohs in a premier game. Still a record today as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Fantastic sporting achievement for Waterford to have 3 local lads on the pitch...I think Noel Hunt got the goal ahead of Keane and he is spot on to claim it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bluezar wrote: »
    Fantastic sporting achievement for Waterford to have 3 local lads on the pitch...I think Noel Hunt got the goal ahead of Keane and he is spot on to claim it!!!!

Controversial one, but I'm about 85% sure after looking at the replay a good few times that it was him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

unfortunately replays from a certain angle have just proven it was robbie keane who got it ,not noel hunt,was on rte website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

If thats so, then Noel needs to quickly come out and acknowledge it to save himself any embarrasment.
    anplaya wrote: »
    unfortunately replays from a certain angle have just proven it was robbie keane who got it ,not noel hunt,was on rte website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

sports section,was just confirmed n rte news the goal was robbies not noels.they did a frame by frame thing.shows noel gettin a touch but robbie sticks it past the keeper,its definate.

sports section,was just confirmed n rte news the goal was robbies not noels.they did a frame by frame thing.shows noel gettin a touch but robbie sticks it past the keeper,its definate.

So if Hunt touches it forward, is Keane offside??? :D

What annoyed me about Keane was his two minutes of posturing after scoring. The game was there for the taking, so he should've grabbed the ball and raced back to the centre.

Noel hasn't exactly come out looking the best after this though has he? I mean fair enough if he thought he scored he was right to say so but if its true he officially lodged an appeal to the FAI. The important thing is the good result followed by the fact the 4 south east lads played very well with steven hunt my mom

ziedth wrote: »
    Noel hasn't exactly come out looking the best after this though has he? I mean fair enough if he thought he scored he was right to say so but if its true he officially lodged an appeal to the FAI. The important thing is the good result followed by the fact the 4 south east lads played very well with steven hunt my mom

I had to read that last sentence three times to understand what you really meant. Thought it may have been the long curly locks :D

bullpost wrote: »
    If thats so, then Noel needs to quickly come out and acknowledge it to save himself any embarrasment.

Surely his sexuality has nothing to do with this debate!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Surely his sexuality has nothing to do with this debate!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course it does. He's a striker and you would always want him shooting inside the box ;)

Yeah, but I heard that Hunty has a terrible habit of dribbling before he shoots!!!!!

:):):):):):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement