Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st fight-Nervous!

Options
  • 02-04-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

My first fight is coming up soon. Thing is the nerves are starting to kick in. I am having trouble getting my head right. For the more experienced guys round here, how do you keep calm and concentrate on the coming weeks. How do you get over the fear of losing (especially in front of friends)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Concentrate on what you need to do between now and the fight. Don't worry about the fight itself at the moment or how you'll look to your friends, it's wasted energy. Make sure you have your training, dieting and everything else planned between now and the fight and put your energies into sticking to that plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Best of luck with the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How do you get over the fear of losing (especially in front of friends)

Turn it into a hate of losing, you should hate to lose more than you love to win ;)

But really, I think we all have those fears. But we won't all admit to having them.

Loses happen, wait until it does before you start to deal with them because as Tim said - its wasted energy.

Focus on the positives, since your stepping up to fight your coaches obviously have faith in your abilities and you in their's.

Don't worry about your friends, win/lose or draw our friends are always very proud of us for taking on the competition and over coming the fear of stepping into the ring/cage or the mat.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hey dude! I dont have loads of experience just had two B class myself, the last one back in Nov. But in my opinion if you werent nervous there would be somthing wrong with you ;). To be honest I had almost convinced myself that I wasnt going to win my fights and was starting to wonder how the f**k I had managed to get myself into this mess.

I but I just got into my head that It will be no worse than what I was pushed to do in sparring and training, and once the first punch was thrown instinct kinda of took over. You'll be fine, there is no point about worrying about the other guy, just what you can do yourself to be as prepared as possible!

Best of Luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

First, kudos on getting into the ring.

Secondly, remember that this is perfectly normal. When I was training for my first fight, during my first heavy sparring session, I vividly remember having a moment where I thought "this is not for me, what have I gotten myself into?".

I can't give you much specific advice without knowing you personally, but ask yourself, what if you do lose? None of your friends will think less of you, none of your training partners will think less of you - you'll have a few bumps and bruises and a sore ego - that's pretty much as bad as it gets. No big drama.

As for the next few weeks, as Tim said, get your head down, and focus on what you need to do. Surround yourself with positive people and remember: cardio causes confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

They're all WRONG! You should be nervous because if you lose your friends will think less of you and you will shame your gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Roper wrote: »
    They're all WRONG! You should be nervous because if you lose your friends will think less of you and you will shame your gym.
    yeah +1 :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Roper wrote: »

You're a bad bad man Barry lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'm joking of course! Seriously the only way anyone should ever look down on you is if you don't give it your all in training and on the night. It's a fight so literally anything can happen and usually does so just enjoy and keep smiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I've only had one fight. I wasn't that nervous, was excited and pretty sure I was gonna smash his face in. I lost. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

I've had no mma fights, but plenty of kickboxing fights. I always get nervous, I need nerves. I don't care about getting hurt or anything, cause in a fight the adrenaline is pumping and I don't really feel the punches or kicks. It's a fear of losing that pushes me, and I use that to my advantage. Think positive, but also be realistic. Don't expect an easy fight, but don't go in there with the thought that your gonna lose or get hurt. Just train well and focus. Go in there and fight your fight, and do your best. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Johnduddy

My experience is in boxing not MMA and I felt exactly the same before every fight I had - The pre fight nerves felt the same for my first fight as they were for my last one years later.

BUT one thing that was consistent was as soon as I got in and I landed or took my first shot all that disappeared. The nerves were more to do with the thinking about it and waiting around than the fight itself.

As Clive said cardio causes confidence (so does clerasil apparently :D) As long as you're in good shape physically and had a few hard sparring sessions to prepare - win or lose the nerves should go as soon as you get in there.

Good luck mate.

Advertisement