Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Pre

• 02-04-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I know the Palm Pre has been mentioned here a few times, but I couldn't find any threads dedicated to it....so here's one:)

I came across a pretty cool video for it today.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html#video

To be honest I wasn't that excited about it before, but this video has made me reconsider. I was thinking of getting a Samsung Omnia HD (rumours are that there will be an Android version), but will have to research the Palm Pre more now...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

rosboy wrote: »
    I know the Palm Pre has been mentioned here a few times, but I couldn't find any threads dedicated to it....so here's one:)

I came across a pretty cool video for it today.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html#video

To be honest I wasn't that excited about it before, but this video has made me reconsider. I was thinking of getting a Samsung Omnia HD (rumours are that there will be an Android version), but will have to research the Palm Pre more now...

There are two threads here and here. There's enough room for another one though; plus those threads are a few months old.

I thought I'd add some images to this thread, so that people can have a good look at the Pre.

pre_10.png

pre_01.png

pre_02.png

pre_04.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If it runs like it does in that video I will que to get one!

Very impressive!

If it runs like it does in that video I will que to get one!

Very impressive!

It certainly is impressive and I’m sure a lot of people will love this handset. I especially like the charging dock, as not only is it innovative, but it looks very slick indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'm very interested in this phone. I wonder how much it will be here when it is released here. Still no release date in the UK. The touch stone charger is nice but it will be sold separately.

dubmick wrote: »
    I'm very interested in this phone. I wonder how much it will be here when it is released here. Still no release date in the UK. The touch stone charger is nice but it will be sold separately.

Unfortunately so. I can’t imagine a lot of people not buying the dock separately all the same.

I’m also surprised that Vodafone haven’t snapped up the Palm Pre for their markets, since they’ve been looking for an exclusive touchscreen handset ever since they lost out to O2 on that “other” touchscreen handset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Unfortunately so. I can’t imagine a lot of people not buying the dock separately all the same.

I’m also surprised that Vodafone haven’t snapped up the Palm Pre for their markets, since they’ve been looking for an exclusive touchscreen handset ever since they lost out to O2 on that “other” touchscreen handset.

Vodafone will still be hocking the storm as the touchscreen phone when the Pre is released. Telefonica/O2 have the Pre in the UK so I'm sure it'll be the same here.

Magnetic induction is a cool idea, but for me it's a bit too much of a novelty to pay extra for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I believe the first version is a Verizon only kit. After that GSM in the U.S. and then us. Think I read somewhere that it will hit Europe in late 09.
    dubmick wrote: »

Vodafone will still be hocking the storm as the touchscreen phone when the Pre is released. Telefonica/O2 have the Pre in the UK so I'm sure it'll be the same here.

Magnetic induction is a cool idea, but for me it's a bit too much of a novelty to pay extra for.
    Oh yes, the Storm, how could I forget that touchscreen handset; especially as it has gone on to sell so well with little to no problems at all! :rolleyes:

I don’t know what Vodafone were thinking with that handset, but it certainly hasn’t become as big a success as they had hoped; return rates between 35-50% have been quoted for Verizon Wireless stores in the states.

Smart move from O2/Telefonica, as if they have both the Pre and the iPhone, they will pretty much have the touchscreen market sown up. Whatever happens, it will be a very interesting summer with the Pre launching in the US and information on a new iPhone from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Vodafone have the contract for the HTC Magic (or G2 or Androids 2nd coming.Whatever you wanna call it).

On topic. Palm Pre? Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Vodafone have the contract for the HTC Magic (or G2 or Androids 2nd coming.Whatever you wanna call it).

On topic. Palm Pre? Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

I forgot about the HTC Magic. To be honest, the reason I forgot is because it’s such a generic handset and offers almost nothing exciting; bar the Android OS, but even that has yet to be fully realised.

I really like the form factor of the Pre, with its rounded, pebble like dimensions. If anything, it looks great, but luckily it also has some great software running on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Another good preview video here. This is a real life demo taken yesterday, so you can assume that response speeds to all commands are true to real life.

http://mypre.com/my-hands-on-with-the-palm-pre-2009011068

rosboy wrote: »
    Another good preview video here. This is a real life demo taken yesterday, so you can assume that response speeds to all commands are true to real life.

http://mypre.com/my-hands-on-with-the-palm-pre-2009011068

The interface looks well and the speed is impressive.

In looking at someone using the Pre though, I can't help but feel I'd still prefer dedicated hardware buttons and/or an optical directional pad; like on the X1i. It is still a great handset, but I can't see myself buying one; even if I find a lot to like about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I see in the photos above that it is running on an "EV" network signal. Is that something similar to 3G?

Its verizons network (cdma). Not compatible with 3g I'm afraid.
    CivilEx wrote: »
    I see in the photos above that it is running on an "EV" network signal. Is that something similar to 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Wish they would bloody hurry up and announce soon as I am out of contract with vodafone and whoever gets it will be getting my business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Could we consider the Pre as a business smartphone or is it more in the iPhone surfing / social networking category?

My guess, knowing its palm, will be that its a great business phone, BUT I suspect it will have all the bells a whistles for surfing/music/facebook etc etc. No self respecting "connected" phone would be without these options today.

I am seriously thinking about the pre. The only think that is a black mark against it is that it has no fm radio - something I use a lot. Internet radio does't cut it as a lot of the places I like to listen there is no 3g coverage.
    CivilEx wrote: »
    Could we consider the Pre as a business smartphone or is it more in the iPhone surfing / social networking category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

The engadget team really love what they have seen so far .. I just hope it lives up to he hype.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/13/palm-pre-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Looks like it's on the way in the States just before Apple announce the new iPhone:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/new-york-times-palm-pre-to-launch-in-the-first-week-of-june/

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Looks like it's on the way in the States just before Apple announce the new iPhone:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/new-york-times-palm-pre-to-launch-in-the-first-week-of-june/

And the first week in June it is! Sprint just announced that the Palm Pre will launch on 6 June 2009 for $199.99, after a $100 mail-in rebate, on a 2 year contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Wonder if this will be available here in time to compete with the new iPhone?

Are O2 the official carrier here for the Pre? What are Vodafone playing at if they are missing out on this as well?

Are O2 the official carrier here for the Pre? What are Vodafone playing at if they are missing out on this as well?

Vodafone have the Blackberry Storm, they'll have the Storm 2 eventually, and the HTC Magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

hate the "web OS"

or any web 'applications'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The "new iPhone" is just the standard 3G model with newer firmware so dont expect anything like decent camera or video calling as no new hardware is being added by apple.

As to the Palm Pre the docking station looks damm cool but its sold seperate and requires a different back cover for the Pre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Vodafone have the Blackberry Storm, they'll have the Storm 2 eventually, and the HTC Magic.

I wouldn't exactly class the Storm as an elite phone given how it's been received in general! I'll wait to see how the second one fairs and I haven't heard enough about the Magic to make a proper comment.

I'm very disappointed with Vodafone, i've been with them since my first phone but i'm seriously thinking about changing due to their lack of new phones, it's very irritating.
    Venom wrote: »
    The "new iPhone" is just the standard 3G model with newer firmware so dont expect anything like decent camera or video calling as no new hardware is being added by apple.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...... http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/19/next-iphone-to-launch-july-17-with-oled-display-and-glowing-appl/

I wouldn't exactly class the Storm as an elite phone given how it's been received in general! I'll wait to see how the second one fairs and I haven't heard enough about the Magic to make a proper comment.

Neither would I, but that's what Vodafone have in their fight against Apple. In saying that, comparing Vodafone's "high-end" handsets against the iPhone is a case of apples and oranges (pun intended)*.

* Sorry, I couldn't resist :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm very disappointed with Vodafone, i've been with them since my first phone but i'm seriously thinking about changing due to their lack of new phones, it's very irritating.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...... http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/19/next-iphone-to-launch-july-17-with-oled-display-and-glowing-appl/

Yeah but nothing on that list has any kind of wow factor when you put it next to the specs of a Palm Pre or Samsung Omina HD so I gonna side with the fanboi made up bull**** guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Don't know where else to post this but what do you guys think of the Blackberry Storm 9500 in general, yes or no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The_Joker wrote: »
    Don't know where else to post this but what do you guys think of the Blackberry Storm 9500 in general, yes or no ?

Nice. Very high spec :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In another thread, The_Joker, since this is about the Pre.

Any rumours of date for the Pre in UK and Ireland? I've heard August, but nothing firm. Also, someone mentioned it'll be on O2/Telefonica but didn't provide a source, do we know that as fact?

adam

Advertisement