Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin-Bangkok-Oz-New Z- S Africa

• 02-04-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just in the early stages of planning a trip later this year. The bones of it is that myself and the OH are going to do a few weeks in Thailand, head on to Australia, hopefully take in New Zealand, and finish off at the World Cup in South Africa. I haven't done a big adventure trip like this before, so not too well up on the best way to plan the itinery etc. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the cheapest / best way to go about it flights wise? We plan to head off in November and head home in July.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

When I was booking a somewhat similar trip to yours, I wasn't able to go to Bangkok, Oz etc, and then back to South Africa, with the ticket I purchased.
    I had to go to South Africa first, then on to Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

* Puts Trailfinders hat on *

Trailfinders are your friend. Granted, if you did it yourself (i.e. sorted all your flights) it could work out cheaper and if you're into that and have the time, go for it. If not, Trailfinders could save you a lot of hassle.

If you book with them, make sure to get them to forward my commission ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If you purchase your tickets from the Trailfinders' Belfast office (048 90271850) you can save a fair whack. I reckon that I've saved the bones of 250 Eur doing it this way.

Of course, you have to factor in flights to London (the don't do Dublin to London in the overall ticket is booked from Belfast) and various other costs, but if you have someone to stay with for a night or two, you can still book the same journey and enjoy at substantially reduced cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I was just looking at prices of OZ visas on the trailfinder website. (It's one of the few you can book online, I believe.) If you go via the .ie website it's 22 EUR; however, if you book it on the .com website it's 15 GBP, which equals about 16.50 EUR. Again, for some of the more expensive visas (such as a NZ working visa) you would be able to save a fair bit if you phone the Belfast number. It might be a bit of hassle, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If you purchase your tickets from the Trailfinders' Belfast office (048 90271850) you can save a fair whack. I reckon that I've saved the bones of 250 Eur doing it this way.

I'd also recommend checking out www.statravel.co.uk They don't just sell to students, they are a mainstream agent as well and their fares seem quite reasonable.
    They normally have good RTW fares that include S.Africa and the £STG savings over an Irish operator could run into a few hundred.

• Advertisement
Advertisement