Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking situation in Kilkenny City

Options
  • 02-04-2009 11:16am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it seems perhaps that the council may be ibntent on trying to raise so much money from parking that they'll force people out of the city.

To start with parking per day can be as high as 10e (around Library) if you need to park in the city to get to work, in addition there are no park and ride setup's available to anyone.

I've discussed this with a number of people and they'd be happy to do a park and ride but they have no other options, in addition if you want to avoid paying high fee's every day then you have to park far out from the city and/or in residential area's which is extremely unfair on people living in these area's.

The most interesting thing of all is despite all the council's great plans the majority of council employee's continue to get free parking, should they not be charged atleast a 5e a day fee for the pleasure of being able to park in our fair city?

Surely its only fair after all to allow them to do their bit for the government/council in these hard times?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

the river court hotal has parking at 2 euro a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Unfortunately a lot of towns have gone like Kilkenny. Times are tough though - I'd say any means of keeping revenue coming in will be pursued. As far as I know, councils used to make a lot of money from the likes of planning applications but that's a revenue stream that's well gone now.

As long as people are prepared to park and pay for it (no choice) they won't care - it's easy money.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But should everyone not have to help the council out, council employee's for example get a free ride surely they should atleast have to pay a token amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Cabaal wrote: »
    should they not be charged at least a 5e a day fee for the pleasure of being able to park in our fair city??
    Or couldn't they just park in the Blabbey or near St Canices church and park for what? €2 per day??
    (Leaving out the fact that those car parks are usually full and they mightn't be in a suitable location)

Didn't know that they get free parking, where do they park? :cool:

But why should they pay? Theres hardly huge costs in the upkeep of Car parks, once the original cost of construction has been paid for.
    Technically i could argue that all employees should pay for parking if they park on the property of their employers..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

ok just my point on the parking in KK, why o why do people always park in loading bays when they are not commercial vehicles, its so annoying when you have to do a delivery or working on a job when you go to the loading bay and there is 3 cars parked in it......

Also if anyone is ever up by the eurospar near johnswell watch the amount of people who park in the wheelchair spaces at the entrance to the shop..... that is so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Where do the council staff park as a matter of interest? If they're not parking on the street, they're not taking up street space. I suppose that's the logic of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Firetrap wrote: »
    Where do the council staff park as a matter of interest?

Isn't there free parking for council workers where the tax offices are off Maudlin street.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Firetrap wrote: »
    Where do the council staff park as a matter of interest? If they're not parking on the street, they're not taking up street space. I suppose that's the logic of it.

You can park behind the library and its still chargeable, bottom line is paid parking exists to raise money yet they are not contributing any themselves...poor show in these hard times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

lotdpd wrote: »
    Also if anyone is ever up by the eurospar near johnswell watch the amount of people who park in the wheelchair spaces at the entrance to the shop..... that is so wrong.

I do agree with you that one shouldn't park in wheelchair spaces but, why have so many?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Drove down to john's green on Saturday (to go for a brunch in foodworks at midday mmm) and I could have driven into almost any parking spot at 30-mph. Usually this place is jammers with guys double parked and cars virtually abandoned so it was nice to be able to park with ease, put a small amount of money into the machine and get the child out of the car etc.... Well worth it IMO for shortish term at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Does anyone know when the meters will go in effect? I live on Maudlin Street and I'm still waiting on my Parking Permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Licksy wrote: »
    Drove down to john's green on Saturday (to go for a brunch in foodworks at midday mmm) and I could have driven into almost any parking spot at 30-mph. Usually this place is jammers with guys double parked and cars virtually abandoned so it was nice to be able to park with ease, put a small amount of money into the machine and get the child out of the car etc.... Well worth it IMO for shortish term at least.

Have to agree in a way. There were places around town where you'd be guaranteed to never get a space. At least now you can get one.

Whats Foodworks btw, sounds nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its a nice little cafe/restaurant on Gas House Lane - just off John's Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Up by the castle is always a good spot to the get a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

For parking I used to get a free parking spot outside the cathedral on James St. Now that it's gone meter I park in the Abbey car park which is €2 per day.
    If I am working late I would park in either St. Mary's car park or Dunnes Stores car park. In St. Mary's the barrier normally goes up after 7pm and is free for most of the weekend. In Dunnes, the barrier goes up at 6pm (Once or twice however, it didn't). It has three exits but only opens one barrier so keep an eye out for that.

Hope this gives you a few extra options :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catblack

The penal parking charges really piss me off. How are people supposed to get into work in Kilkenny? Those of us who still have a job are taking paycuts and tax increases and now are being screwed for parking charges when there is no alternative.
    I would be the first to park and ride or use public transport exclusively, but THERE ISN'T ANY PUBLIC TRANSPORT.
    Try cycling from Sheestown on a rainy morning. You take your life in your hands. In the absence of alternatives, it is a stupid and short-sighted move by the borough council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I agree with the council that they had to make money in light of todays ecconomy but they really should have offered an alternative. I have to admit its great to have to pop into town quickly and know that a short term parking will not be a problem. The parking situation would have deterred me from going into to town for short term e/g putting cheque into bank, had to drop or get one thing in the shop. So, from that point it is good, but I do empathise with the dilema people who work in the city are facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catblack

What really makes my blood boil is that the local authorities, instead of having the bottle to challenge the lack of central funding, are content to wring every last penny out of their own citizens.
    We are being bled dry for refuse charges and parking. How is someone who lives out of the town to get to work in Kilkenny?
    There is no public transport. There is no park and ride, There isn't even safe, convenient parking on the outskirts. To take a bike to work is to risk your life.
    Imagine cycling in the Callan Road, or Bennettsbridge Road on a dark, rainy morning.
    The cheapest options, the two-euro-a-day carparks, are over subscribed but still cost decent working people 500 euro a year (10 euro a week) to use.
    This is not a green measure, it is just another tax on the people who are expected to pay for everything.

Bond 007 said that up by the Castle was a good spot. How long since you've been in town?
    Up by the Castle is a building site and the Castle Road parking costs a minimum of 1.50, even if you are only staying for a short time. This first 15 minutes free is a joke: who decides when the 15 minutes starts? The wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vegasbabe

I work in town myself & so far have been lucky not to have to pay for parking. I do in some ways understand what the council are doing to free spaces to encourage shoppers to find easy parking in the city but what about all the people who work in the city & the revenue they bring, what about the workers who buy their lunch or a sambo, even a wander up town at lunch time can be painful on the pocket.
    I agree with catblack, there is a major need for transport service in Kilkenny especially with what the council are proposing to make the city centre one way.
    I went to college in Waterford over 10yrs ago & there were numerous bus services, even a little IMP bus travelled around the city & was great especially if it was raining. Why cant the council use the money its generating from the car parks to fund a workable transport system??

Just wanted to give everyone a bit of a warning that the Gardai are patrolling the residential streets looking for the Parking Permits. I got ticketed for 40 euros for not having my receipt or permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Did you get a Garda parking ticket or a County Council parking ticket.

Seems a bit odd that the Gardai would be doing that to be honest...

mick_irl wrote: »
    Did you get a Garda parking ticket or a County Council parking ticket.

Seems a bit odd that the Gardai would be doing that to be honest...

A Borough Council Note to be exact.

You are lucky so!

Cause, as far as i know, parking fines issued by the Gardai are higher than those given by the Borough or County councils.

You are lucky so!

Cause, as far as i know, parking fines issued by the Gardai are higher than those given by the Borough or County councils.

Thanks Mick. So there are Borough Council workers canvassing the residential streets then.

There sure are.

Apparently, a lot of the staff from the old pool on Michael St we re-deployed as traffic wardens.

There sure are.

Apparently, a lot of the staff from the old pool on Michael St we re-deployed as traffic wardens.

They should put them back to work at the pool since the Council did such a wonderful job on the pool in the Watershed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    A Borough Council Note to be exact.

Do resident permit holders have "guest" permits for occasional use by family/friends - or are these held to ransom as well?
    :mad:

dogdig wrote: »
    Do resident permit holders have "guest" permits for occasional use by family/friends - or are these held to ransom as well?
    :mad:

If your family/friends are frequent visitors you probably work something out with the Council. Not sure though. Otherwise you will have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

Thanks - it's not looking good at all - what a shame! I sometimes visit family in Kilkenny and park near their houses. After a long drive it would be nice to know there is somewhere (free)to leave the car without risking a fine.

Not that it would help the parking situation but with all these charges coming in I feel that Council staff and others who park for free courtesy of their employer are receiving a benefit or perk of the job which clearly has a value. As such I feel the Taxman should be looking into this to charge tax on that value or benefit.

Just my twopennorth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

1.Parking bye laws have been passed for over year now which were advertised on the borough site ,and there was very little opposition to them hardly anyone goes to Borough Council meetings every month and anyone in public is entitled to attend meet with councillors and submit letter to each councillors either personally or with residents association .I was at or had someone there who kept me informed at nearly all council meetings last year and we tried to make changes to parking bye laws but it was too late .
    2.There are many bye laws and planning proposals going through in borough council over last few years without any opposition from public so no point in complaining about them afterwards amongst ourselves .
    3 Another law that was passed last year was refuse collection which means improper use of bins which means putting so called wrong rubbish in recycling bins can incur fine ,putting bins out too early or bins out too late can incur fine .
    4.Another planning proposal that went through without any opposition whatsoever was council made most of housing estates in city and SUBURBS which were not listed as public access roads are now public access roads right down to rear lanes in places like Ashfield East .You say whats big deal with this well same crap happened in UK in last few years well make roads public access gives right to place double yellow lines where the council see fit and thereby also parking spaces can be allotted to houses and every house in these estates will have to pay parking permit like centre of Kilkenny city ,if you think this will not happen then just wait and see fellow cats !!!!!!
    5. Two weeks ago plans were unveiled for one way system in whole town and also changes in footpaths around 6 or 7 plans very detailed how many people went down to Rivercourt Hotel to lodge their opinion in boxes or talk to council engineers how many attended i would say around 30 or 40 people in whole city came down over couple hours thats what I heard !!!

6.In local elections a candidate Greene his name is has wrote in People this week he's disgraced at parking bye laws and part of his lobbying for going is whe will abolish these .Too late buddies once law is written in local authorities and ratified by mayor thats it its too late .

7.And finally my own rant i have no sympathy for people who have indiscriminately parked outside peoples house in Wolfe Tone Street,Michael Street,Maudlin St ,Dean Street (where mostly old people living by the way)for last 10 years an ignorant shower locally ,nationally and internationally the abuse residents got from people parking outside their door asking them to move for vaild reasons like running business ,waiting for oil delivery ,or whatever noone has right as far as I'm concerned to park outside someones house on street without their permission .I can remember only 2 occasions in 10 years where someone knocked on my door and asked me could they park there and they were tourists shame on those who left us all in city without parking space for those last 10 years or so and the abuse and dirty looks and rubbish thrown out of cars onto street it was disgrace so i have no sympathy for those that did so and hope they enjoy paying for their parking now and before you think i am been a dictator if you had problem with it why didn't you go to meetings and oppose it when it was been proposed so next time if there is another next time keep an eye on council website can be found through www.kilkennycoco.ie at bottom page and attend borough council meetings which are PUBLIC meetings people forget and forget about this whinging rubbish after something can be done about it you would all want to wake up and smell the coffee and be more proactive in your local community instead of lashing out at politicians when nothing can be done they're just muppets for the system and will only react and go with the flow of public opinion but if only few speak out then they will take their own policy onboard or adopt other local authorities policies thats way system works .Personally i think any law can be changed even now after such laws as parking bye laws have been passed but funny thing is now its far more difficult instead of just few hundred driving politicians away from idea before parking bye laws went through now it needs all of Kilkenny to go out and protest and somehow i don't see that happening from what I see we have all become lazy when it comes to local issues and as long as i'm ok couldn't care less about next door neighbour philosophy is far too popular .Good night Good fight ! :)

Advertisement