Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking situation in Kilkenny City

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fairy50

I think a park and ride system is very badly needed. It is great to free up spaces for shops and deliveries but workers in the city have been sorely overlooked.....I work in the city and I end up paying nearly 15 euro for the 3 days I work.
    I am on minimum wage and work just 4 hours a day....

im practically handing over a quarter of my pay package and I cant complain because I am so grateful to have a job.

As ECOLOGICAL stated laws are laws now but it is time for the city's representatives to step up.
    Those who have seats at the moment are taking a back seat until the elections it seems while newer candidates are the ones with the answers!!!!!

Borough Council Candidates Mick Greene (indo) and David FitzGerald (FG) have both suggested a park and ride system and word on the street is they are getting great support but alas we are still waiting for a response from the council parked in their free spaces...................:)

I guess il just have to pay my new tax on my minimum wage while handing over more money each day to park my little car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I dont think a park and ride will happen. They've mentioned in the City Development plan that it doesn't work in places with low populations (can't remember the exact figure mentioned).

They are planning to put in an orbital shuttle bus system though. Plus they are increasing the amount of cycle lanes all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

People seem to think the (rather wide) new cycle lanes on the castlecomer road are parking spaces now!

Yeah i noticed that on Sunday alright. I assume they will be putting little bike symbols in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catblack

Oh yeah? Like little white drawings of bikes will stop motorists driving into them. They need kerbing between them and the road.

• Advertisement

Yeah, grade separation is the best way, but that costs lots more than painting lines on the road so that ain't going to happen.

They also can't really kerb it because of the access need to the houses along the road.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote: »
    People seem to think the (rather wide) new cycle lanes on the castlecomer road are parking spaces now!

This is a common thought among many extremely thick motorists throughout Ireland, Gardai don't give a crap even when its pointed out to them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

was just going to comment with the same thing - Was over at my friends place which is directly across from Supervalu the other night and couldn't get over the number of cars parked on the road in the "cycle lane". Thought something was going on in the church but kept seeing people coming out with shopping. It was causing delays as people couldn't see to get out of the carpark and cars were trying to turn in to the carpark, was a bit mad.

The new parking arrangements, as well as the whole cycle lane issue, seem to have been conceived by people who have free parking and don't use bikes. Those who live in Cloud-Cuckoo-Land are running the City. The rest of us just pay for the privilege while they make the decisions. God help us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catblack wrote: »
    The new parking arrangements, as well as the whole cycle lane issue, seem to have been conceived by people who have free parking and don't use bikes. Those who live in Cloud-Cuckoo-Land are running the City. The rest of us just pay for the privilege while they make the decisions. God help us.

Agreed, its an awful shame to if facilities were improved and if I worked in Kilkenny City I'd actually consider cycling the 10miles to work, its not that far and is doable in about 40min or less (at current slow cycle speeds I do :)

The problem at the moment is one 2-5lm stretch of road which is nothing but sharp turns and is lethal for anyone on a bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

ztoical wrote: »
    was just going to comment with the same thing - Was over at my friends place which is directly across from Supervalu the other night and couldn't get over the number of cars parked on the road in the "cycle lane". Thought something was going on in the church but kept seeing people coming out with shopping. It was causing delays as people couldn't see to get out of the carpark and cars were trying to turn in to the carpark, was a bit mad.

This is something that has be bothering me for some time. I pass by there a few times a day and people parking on the road have made it downright dangerous for those exiting the car park. Apparently SuperValu complained to the council. Double yellow lines would sort it out, but the complaints fell on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Nightwish wrote: »
    This is something that has be bothering me for some time. I pass by there a few times a day and people parking on the road have made it downright dangerous for those exiting the car park. Apparently SuperValu complained to the council. Double yellow lines would sort it out, but the complaints fell on deaf ears.

I've always noticed a couple of cars parking there but since the cycle lanes went in it's just gone mad over there. With the cycle lanes on both sides it leave just enough room for cars going in both directions but you add parked cars on both sides of the road and it's pretty tight and on top of that you've people trying to get in/out of supervalu. It's not like the car park is small, I've never had issue finding a space there so no reason to be parking out on the road like that, if your just running in to grab something small go to the petrol station down the road.

They mentioned the negative effects of the sudden disappearance of free parking on businesses in Kilkenny on Radio 1 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

They mentioned the negative effects of the sudden disappearance of free parking on businesses in Kilkenny on Radio 1 this morning.

I do find that hard to believe as now with the new car spaces I know I can go into town in the afternnon and have a place to park. It may be the same price for an hour but at least I con't have to find space in car park and wait to get out. There have a few times I have been stuc in Market Croass car park because of delays.

It was in the Sunday Independent today too. Article on how parking charges are killing city/town centres...Kilkenny was mentioned.

femur61 wrote: »
    I do find that hard to believe as now with the new car spaces I know I can go into town in the afternnon and have a place to park. It may be the same price for an hour but at least I con't have to find space in car park and wait to get out. There have a few times I have been stuc in Market Croass car park because of delays.

Market Cross or Market Yard are never really full except on Saturdays so it is not workers that are taking the spaces there. Working people went to the other carparks like behind Greenwood, or behind the Library.

Everyone is stressed out by these new charges as if we weren't bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i only noticed it yesterday so pardon if someone has already mentioned it, one-hour free parking is been advertised for the Ormonde car park when you shop in some high street stores.
    i don't know how it works, i only saw it advertised in a shop window.
    i wonder if the council will do a deal on permits for long-term parkers, a reduction for a weekly ticket etc...
    are these charges tax deductable?

/digs up thread

I notice the parking meter and related signs have disappeared from outside the old swimming pool in town. I wonder what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Oh please let this be the start of something! Would make my year this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement