Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you drawn to items in the colour pink?

Options
  • 02-04-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies and manly lurkers,

I was just posting in another thread and it got me to wondering how many other females are like myself. I'm not a huge fan and it annoys me when some new item that I'd like to purchase comes out and it is only available in pink. I'm not sure where this lack of like for pink has come from. I can't remember being drawn to pink items when I was a kid either. Although, I am rather fond of red roses but have a similar dislike for pink roses which is daft as the old english rose which has a gorgeous smell is generally pink. Anyways, I digress :D

I mean the colour pink is fine and dandy but I'm just not a fan but because I'm female it's assumed that I like that colour. I'm not a fan of assumptions but I'm sure them there marketing compaines wouldn't spend so much money if the majority of us female lots didn't swoon to it.

Us females are meant to be more drawn to pink on a basic level due to a hangover from the fruit gathering days. I read that somewhere years ago.

So who's with me on this and who's a pink fiend? :)

A.

Are you drawn to items in the colour pink? 83 votes

Yes, I/My girlfriend loves all things pink
    0% 0 votes
    Not a fan
    48% 40 votes
    No preference
    51% 43 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Personally I would view females that wear an excessive amount of pink as being in a certain age group.I have female pals ranging from 18/19 to late 30s early 40s and the vast majority of the ladies aged 33+ wear little or no pink,the mid 20s to mid 30s wear a small amount(generally casual wear)and the ones under 24 wear quite alot.Of course this is a huge generalisation and I havnt seen all their clothes so I couldnt say for sure but this seems to be the pattern.As for guys wearing pink,I just do not get it,I really dont.Ive heard every excuse under the sun - Im comfortable in my sexuality(WTF does that have to do with it,Im very comfortable as a hetero late 20s male but I dont feel the need to wear pink clothes),its not pink-its salmon(BTW,what is salmon?a pink fish is what!!)and various other crackers.My arguement to any guy that wears pink shirts etc would be - If its that acceptable,lets go to a sports store and I will buy a pink tracksuit.If its ok to wear a pink shirt/jumper why not the full ensemble?Bah,stupid fashion trends.
    Anyway,pink on ladies(not too much)=good
    Pink on blokes=not so good.

All IMHO of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Oddly enough, I think the reason I don't like pink is because I'm awkward and dislike the whole blue for boys and pink for girls.

From a young age I would always pick the blue stuff, or purple if it was available, and shun the pink. I don't actually dislike the colour, in fact I think some shades are really nice, in the same way I feel about other colours. However, I avoid buying it purely because the gender colour thing exists, which is probably silly and kinda means I'm reinforcing the stereotype. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I love pink.

Being tall, I'm very, very careful to avoid the wearing of too much pink as I don't want to look like a lanky ice-lolly, and I'm not a fan of pink in decor as it can look a little childish.

But still, my love of pink remains.

A great deal of my underwear is pink, I have a pink phone, a pink laptop, lots of pink socks. I have a pink floral toolkit and my favourite shoes are pink. I like to think that the roots of my pink love are in being the only girl in the family. The more pink an item was, the less likely it was to be 'borrowed' by one of my brothers.

The older I get the more I try to reign it in, but still I find the pull of the pink hard to resist.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

never liked the colour. ever. i remember all the other kids in playschool making fun of me cos i painted my paper plate black.

i have to admit to spending a lot of time looking somewhat down on the girls who would flock to pink, just the usual brainwashed, cant think for themselves crap. anyone who'd spend the extra money to buy the same appliance , but in the colour pink.... man, they saw those chicks coming...

buuuuuuutttttt, i admit, now, if i had the money, and i had the choice in colours, i might just spend that extra coupla dollars if i got a pretty black or deep purple shiny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't mind the colour tbh. I don't rush out to buy something just because it's pink, but if something I *do* want is available in pink then I'll consider it. I used to be pretty virulently against wearing the colour at all, but I've mellowed out a bit. With my colouring though, it doesn't really suit me for clothes - I'm really pale with freckles so it can look a bit silly on me. I've had a few pink gadgets over the years - my first mobile phone, 9 years ago, was a garish Barbie pink shade, and I've had a pink Game Boy Micro and a pink iPod mini.

I love blue, purple, red and black though, and all of them look a lot better on me than pink does.

• Advertisement

i have to admit to spending a lot of time looking somewhat down on the girls who would flock to pink, just the usual brainwashed, cant think for themselves crap. anyone who'd spend the extra money to buy the same appliance , but in the colour pink.... man, they saw those chicks coming...

I never realised that a fondness for pink = stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I don't wear pink, but i do have a pink pashmina i like to wear to brighten up an outfit. Oh and i have a guess hot pink wallet that i fell in love with the minute i seen it but apart from those 2 things i don't have any pink items.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I like pink. It is a colour that suits me - along with purple, green, blue, pinky red, black, brown, navy, deep grey etc (in other words, I avoid yellow, orange, and pale colours)

However, I would not buy something just because it is pink. I went to buy a camera a month or so ago, and the guy in the shop kept recommending me cameras simply because they were pink - "This is a very popular one!" - I found this quite patronising actually, like he assumed I wouldn't want to know the actual specs of the cameras in question but would just buy them because of their colour. Yes, I am a college-age girl with blonde hair, but I'm not stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i went through a phase of LOVING pink. everything i owned at one stage was pink - ipod, phone, bag, wallet, etc etc.

i have calmed down a bit now, im more drawn to purple these days :) i do still have a pink phone though :) (& a pink wallet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I have no problem with the colour per se. I even own some items that are pink.

However, I HATE the way manufacturers think women want everything in pink, and its getting to the stage where you can't buy anything aimed at women specifically that isnt pink.

Two interesting takes on PINK -->

http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2009/02/im_in_the_marke

http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2007/10/the_problem_wit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I went through a pink phase until was about 6 or 7 then I refused to wear or have anything pink. I went from being a complete girly girl to being a tomboy practically overnight. Apparently it was really sudden and mum had no idea why it happened. Recently I have become more accepting of the colour, I won't go out of my way to get pink but I won't not buy something just because it's pink.

I wouldn't say a fondness for pink means stupidity at all, I mean I love pink, it is a great colour. However, it does annoy me the way you can make anything pink, especially electronic items, and girls are expected to choose it over others - like I was saying in my post above about the camera salesman. It must work on some level or there wouldn't be so many pink versions of things aimed at women, and sometimes the perception is that women will buy anything pink no matter what the quality.
    However, despite my love of pink, I feel like deliberately choosing non-pink items just to show that I can think for myself - weird, eh? Take my laptop for example - at the time I bought it, Dell were throwing in colour customisation for free, but I kinda felt like getting a pink laptop would make me look like a bimbo. So I bought a midnight blue one. But really there is no reason why I shouldn't have a pink one if I want a pink one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

i have to admit to spending a lot of time looking somewhat down on the girls who would flock to pink, just the usual brainwashed, cant think for themselves crap.

I have to admit, I'm extremely surprised to hear something like this from you.

Edit: Ah, saw your post below. Disregard!

gyah, no, that's not what i mean! >_<

i admit, that i did think in that general direction, as i saw otherwise intelligent girls melting over something pink and refusing to wear other colours, and just going generally gaga over it. just seemed like a huge marketing ploy that they'd fallen hook line and sinker for. and i pretty much categorised all pink lovers as that.

which i freely admit now, was WRONG. just my perspective at the time. im older and wiser now :p

Fishie wrote: »
    However, it does annoy me the way you can make anything pink, especially electronic items, and girls are expected to choose it over others - like I was saying in my post above about the camera salesman. It must work on some level or there wouldn't be so many pink versions of things aimed at women, and sometimes the perception is that women will buy anything pink no matter what the quality.
    However, despite my love of pink, I feel like deliberately choosing non-pink items just to show that I can think for myself - weird, eh? Take my laptop for example - at the time I bought it, Dell were throwing in colour customisation for free, but I kinda felt like getting a pink laptop would make me look like a bimbo. So I bought a midnight blue one. But really there is no reason why I shouldn't have a pink one if I want a pink one

You see I think this is where we play to others perceptions of what women should like, as opposed to what we do.

Some people will go out of their way to avoid pink because they hate being gender-targetted in such a way, and thats fine.

Some people - for some reason I've noticed its mostly other women - will avoid pink because they feel its an overly feminine colour, something only airheads would prefer.

Some people are comfortable with pink, like the colour, and avoid it because they don't want others to apply the above assumptions to them. And thats fine too.

I like pink, and I'm secure enough about it and myself to indulge it a little.

Its far more damaging to assume someone is brainless and easily led, not to mention more sexist to do so, than it is to simply like what is just another colour.

Gauge wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'm extremely surprised to hear something like this from you.

nooo, godammit, i've just tied my own noose, haven't i?

this opinion was largely based on my school days, and certain people i went to school with, who, after falling in with a certain crowd (the 'girly' ones), suddenly went from ... i dunno... just a non-descript taste in clothes/colours (o neill's trackys, nice tshirts, whatever it was we were wearing), to being *obsessed* with the colour pink. another mate became mates with this group of girls her ma later dubbed 'the pinkifieds', and that kinda enhanced my opinion there, particularly as i watched certain tastes and opinions of hers change.

and i finished the whole school thing about 4years ago, and have come a long way in my thinking since then. :o

i really really didn't mean to offend there...was just saying that my thoughts had been anti-pink...

but im a lot more mellow and less judgemental and did i mention more mellow nowadays?

While I'd like to say that I avoid some pink items because I object to the marketing, if I am being honest with myself I would say that some of it is not wanting to be perceived as a bimbo - I already have blonde hair and wear a lot of pink and purple, so I feel like having a pink laptop etc would be a bit 'Elle Woods from Legally Blonde' (although I suppose you could say the message in that film was that first impressions are not always correct)

I do have some objections to the advertising though, it has got insane in the last few years! I babysit for a seven-year-old girl, her mother has told me before how difficult it is to get stuff like coats and dressing gowns for her that AREN'T pink.

Those links that Tawny posted are really interesting - the first one talks about the marketing of pink products at women, and the article contains links to sites that specifically sell pink laptops or whatever. You can even get a cherry scented laptop! :eek:

Fishie wrote: »
    I do have some objections to the advertising though, it has got insane in the last few years! I babysit for a seven-year-old girl, her mother has told me before how difficult it is to get stuff like coats and dressing gowns for her that AREN'T pink.

i do agree strongly on that point now. like i said, my previous aversions to the colour are more a past thing, i even own boardies with pink on them now (granted, they also have tentacles and skulls, which makes them sufficiently cool enough for me to wear comfortably :P ), but it is just about impossible to dress a baby girl (without spending ridiculous amounts, usually online) without putting her in pink or purple. the marketing is waaaaaay OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

If something is pink and I want it, I'll buy it.
    I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks, or what their assumptions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Personally I dont like pink or pink tech or how pink is used lazily to brand and market items to women or that young girls are going up feeling they are less of a girl if they don't choose the pink option.

I don't understand the obession with it tbh, or how people pay more for one in pink
    but in all fairness if I could have the spec I wanted and had to pay a little more for
    what I want in black I prolly would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I like to think that the roots of my pink love are in being the only girl in the family. The more pink an item was, the less likely it was to be 'borrowed' by one of my brothers.

I think your onto something there.

In my extended family, if the girl was surrounded by boys, she seems more likely to be pink orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I looove pink, especially really bright pink. Pale shades not so much. It doesn't really go with my general style so I keep it to a minimum; I have a bright pink scarf that I'm practically surgically attached to, and the soles of my shoes are pink, but apart from that you wouldn't see much pink on me.

Bright pink is definitely my favourite colour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

if something is branded pink & i buy the pink version its not cause its "marketed cleverly" its cause i like it in pink.

it may often be because if its a choice of black & pink ill go with pink cause its prettier than the black.

for example, external hard drives. theyre usually boring black things. id be just as excited about seeing one in yellow as i would in pink. yet if i buy the pink one ill probably be seen as a stupid fool of a girl who fell for the girly marketing.

in saying that - i wouldnt pay any extra for something just cause it was pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm not a fan of pink. I don't really care about stuff but for clothes I won't touch pink red or orange. I don't like those colours and they don't suit me anyway!

Mind you, I'll buy anything green at all. I'd buy a green brick just because it's green. I'm a little obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Love pink, have a pink phone and ipod and a lot of pink clothes and accessories. I have a few lovely bright pink blushes and lipsticks too. I can think of a lot worse crimes than liking pink.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Personally I dont like pink or pink tech or how pink is used lazily to brand and market items to women or that young girls are going up feeling they are less of a girl if they don't choose the pink option.

I don't understand the obession with it tbh, or how people pay more for one in pink
    but in all fairness if I could have the spec I wanted and had to pay a little more for
    what I want in black I prolly would.

Nice sig you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't really care.
    My favourite colours are blue and green anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nice sig you got there.

Why thank you, it was chosen to stand out against all the standard most used
    boards.ie skins and due to my pretty well documented dislike of the colour
    the person who made it for me was being ironic.

I care enough about the issue to have pink in my sig :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

meh... hadnt really thought about it til now... have the odd pink item that i love, a hot pink dress, a pashmina that i love, a dark-hot-pink top.. small enough things but im not overly attracted to the colour id be more of a blues/blacks/purple kinda girl

Advertisement