Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steel bar/pipe

Options
  • 02-04-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Would anybody know where i can get some steel pipe or bar, i have tried buckelys and goodwins etc... and all that they sell is plumbing pipe and light stuff for towel rails and wardrobes. I haven't had a wander around B&Q, woodies etc.

I want to make one of these for the workshop:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/popularwoodworking/3370868640/in/set-72157615684914950/

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi ennisa,

Dont know if its any use to you, or if these guys even have a branch near you, but they have one in Carlow and I've found them good to deal with in the past, cheap too!

http://www.sherlingsteel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=146&Itemid=263

Seems I've taken up a new interest along with the woodwork, metalworking! :p Its dirty, oily and grubby though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

thanks for that Croppy, they have a branch in Walkinstown on the south side of the city I will see if they are open at the weekends, otherwise I would have to take off work to get to them. I'll also have a look in B&Q etc.. i would have thought that they would have some mild steel bar or something there. Maybe I'm just reading the US forums too much, they seem to have it all on their doorstep for some reason!

Cheers

Ironically enough I found some in B&Q €16 for 2 meters of 20mm. The Cylinder walls aren't as thick as I would like but we will see how it goes. Any of the stell suppliers I rang either didn't sell to the public, didn't bother answering the phone or didn't have any in stock. The lady in Sherling was very helpful but unfortunatly they had no stock.

Speaking of people not answering their phone; I was in a builders providers in Mulhuddart this week and I have never met such a helpful person in a builders providers. I was looking for wall anchors for the shelves mentioned above and a friend of mine was looking for something similar. The guy there came out from behind the counter and was chatting to us for about 15 minutes about all they ways we could do what we were looking to do. I have never seen anybody that helpful (pre-recession) in a builders merchants. Usually they expect you to know what you want and are not that keen to help you out as there is a tradesman behind you waiting to spend 2 grand on nails or screws. Is the recession the key here? Is the small home DIY guy now where there money is and suddenly the €70 that we spend in the shop has a lot more worth to them? I'm glad that they are more helpful but I would have liked them to be like that all the time and not just when it is in their own best interests. Has anybody else noticed this change recently?

Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I personally haven't noticed a change Ennisa,but looking forward to when I do:rolleyes:

One place that I've always found to be very helpful and non condescending is Murdocks down next to Brooks in Ballbrigan,its just a pain getting there for me,therefore have to suffer the rudness etc of more local ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

TBH I'd put up with rudeness if only they knew what I/they were talking about.
    I insert I in that sentence because most of the time I don't know what something is called (again,too much relying on yank sites) or just don't know what I want. It's like charades when I go shopping sometimes:)

• Advertisement

ennisa wrote: »
    Ironically enough I found some in B&Q €16 for 2 meters of 20mm. The Cylinder walls aren't as thick as I would like but we will see how it goes. Any of the stell suppliers I rang either didn't sell to the public, didn't bother answering the phone or didn't have any in stock. The lady in Sherling was very helpful but unfortunatly they had no stock.

I got 16mm solid bar off SB steel a couple of weeks back, I think they are 19 or 20ft lenghts, I paid €10.30 for it. Pity Sherling didnt have it in stock. No salvage yards around you even where you'd be able to pick up a bit of old gunbarrell piping maybe?

that rack looks like a good idea! Might consider it myself. I have some timber suspended from the roof on a couple of brackets but I only found out tonight that trying to get to something that was at the very back, and bottom was no easy task :rolleyes:. I also thought about doing an inventory of what I have, ie, letter the pieces, name of wood, measurements etc. That way when I need a piece I can look through the list and see if there is anything of use before I go rooting, and edit the list as I use up and/or cut pieces.

I found this on dublinwaste.ie yesterday http://www.dublinwaste.ie/free_trade_detail.php?item_id=36622

I went to pick it up today. He had two of them, basically they are 13 feet 1" diameter iron or steel rounds that were used for bracing in an old building. So I will cut them up and they should do the job. The only thing that I an worried about is that they are supposedly quite old and I want to clean the paint off. What are the chances that it would be lead based paint? If I go at it with some sandpaper or wet and dry am I going to end up having kids with three arms?

Anyway there we go, yay for reuse and recycle! :)

Nice pickup Ennisa! Would you need to clean them? How about getting a lenght or two of that foam pipe lagging and cut it to lenght and slide it over the pipe, it'd protect the wood that is resting on the bars from dents/knocks.

thats a fantastic idea croppy thanks for that. I need to get some of the lagging to insulate some of the heating pipes running from the boiler. Plus it means I wouldn't have to worry that much about actually cleaning the bar.

Cheers Croppy.

One good turn deserves another! :p. You gave me the idea of making up a similar racking system, I think I have a spot for it and all, so we'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement

I'll post a pic of mine when it is done. Should be in the next week or so.

finished them over the weekend. Not as good as I hoped and I have to say that I am not impressed with wall anchors, they never seemed to get really solidly attached. But it gets alot of stuff of the floor and out of the way.

I attached a pic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Looks good to me ennisa!

@CroppyBoy1798: checked out that SB Steel site, do they carry much in the way of tools and what are they like on prices? I was looking for a few large spanners 27mm- 34mm or so...

Looks the job alright Ennisa! ;) What type of wood did you use to fit the bars into? Are they going straight in (ie 90 degree) or at a slight upward angle?

Jack of all, Baileys steel in Carlow do have a shop alright, its in the main office, they have a load of metal work tools etc, I cant remember seeing spanners but I'd imagine they'd have them.

The wood is 2x3 pine that was donated to me as off cuts from a 2x9. The pipe is just going in at 90 degress and I covered it with pipe insulation (as suggested by you) just to stop it marring the wood. I need to but some ply or mdf across it to make actual shelves though as there is nowhere to put the small pieces unless I have long pieces and then I cant get at them because the small pieces are on them! So it needs a litlte adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Jack of all, Baileys steel in Carlow do have a shop alright, its in the main office, they have a load of metal work tools etc, I cant remember seeing spanners but I'd imagine they'd have them.

Thanks Croppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 amyloo

go to a steel merchant the amount you whant they will probly have laying around and sell you cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ennisa wrote: »
    finished them over the weekend. Not as good as I hoped and I have to say that I am not impressed with wall anchors, they never seemed to get really solidly attached. But it gets alot of stuff of the floor and out of the way.

I attached a pic anyway.

try the chemical anchor compound such as fischer FIS P 300T with the normal wall anchors, blow out all the dust and put a daub on the anchor and let it set.
    Its one way:) no easy removal

Ferrum steel in Baldoyle in dublin carry good range of steel

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Him Carlow,are they in baldoyle ind estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

aerosol wrote: »
    Him Carlow,are they in baldoyle ind estate?

Yes indeed they are:
    right at first tee junction, first left, on right beyond Abbey Woods
    Ferrum Trading Ltd, Unit 20, Grange Parade, Baldoyle Ind Est. Dublin 13. Tel: 01-8398333 Fax: 01-8398332 Email: steel@ferrum.ie
    www.ferrum.ie

of course fone first:)

• Advertisement

Carlow, in the end they are actually not as bad as i though. I reckoned they would just come good and tight like a rawl plug but they never really did. However I have put a decent load on them and they have not budged. I will leave them and see how it goes. If it looks like they will start to move then I may take out the anchors and use some chemical anchor, as you suggest, and maybe some threaded bar. We will see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice Carlow.

Advertisement