Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Insurance

• 02-04-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All

Can anybody recommend or have any advice on insuring camera equipment.I need to cover my gear when out shooting weddings etc and when its left idol at home.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I use Steve, at Photo-Shield. Brilliant price and great service. A pleasure to deal with. I did shop around, and found that they offer the best rate (that I found at the time) for gear insurance, public liability insurance, and professional indemnity, all of which you'll need for weddings.

If you contact them, feel free to mention my name as a reference. :D

Phone: 0044 1775 716690
    Email: photo-shield@winsoverhowden.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

I use Photoshield as well. Steve is a top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

If you have home insurance then you may be able to add your gear to that policy. Aaduki has been recommended here in the past and I've been meaning to look into them but haven't had a chance. Their website is very UK oriented but they do offer the service in Ireland too. http://www.aaduki.com/

latchiko wrote: »
    If you have home insurance then you may be able to add your gear to that policy.

Not for weddings, and you won't get PL or PI on your home insurance.

For weddings, you need full proper insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Plus photoshield insure gear left in your car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I was talking to Photo-Shield last weekend. If you are getting paid to do any Photography then this sort of Insurance is an essential. I was given a rough quote to get an idea of cost for someone who may do an occasional job but it's not their full time occupation. I included €3000 of gear. I will not give the exact price but for Public Liability, Professional Indemnity & Equipment Insurance it was less than €500 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

How would you be fixed for gear that was bought online, but you don't have a V.A.T. receipt for? Not asking on my own behalf, obviously. I'm totally V.A.T. compliant.

I don't follow the question? You own the gear and want to insure the gear.

The insurer doesn't ask for your VAT receipts or any receipts at all, etc. They just want to know the value of your equipment.

If you had to lodge a claim, how would you show what you had and how much it was worth, if you've bought something off e-Bay 3 years ago?

Serial number of the lens shows you own it. My insurance is like for like, so if I break a 300mm f/2.8, they will provide me with the funds to buy a new 300mm f/2.8.

For my insurance application, they asked for the replacement price, calculated the value of the equipment using Irish store prices (a check of Conns, Gunns and I can't remember the third). So, I wasn't asked for the price I purchased the gear, I was simply asked for the price of replacement.

• Advertisement

As helpful as always, Paul.
    Good man!

Advertisement