Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Update today?

• 02-04-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what was included in todays update?
    It seemed quite a big download.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Scratch that. found this on Major Nelson:

Xbox 360 System update now available (no new features)

A few minutes ago, the team released a system update for the Xbox 360 over Xbox LIVE. Sometime over the next few hours when you sign in to Xbox LIVE you’ll receive a prompt to accept this mandatory update. This update addresses interruption issues that some Xbox LIVE users may have experienced when playing a limited number of Xbox 360 games.

There are no other changes or enhancements in this update…in other words no new features.

This update will be rolled out to all Xbox LIVE members around the world over the space of a few hours, so you may not get prompted for the update immediately.

Thanks for your patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Well looks like the update has sh*gged my 360 - have one red ring E74 error now! :mad:

Going shopping for an elite to replace it while off getting fixed with MS. Will trade it in when it arrives back.

Anybody know who's offering the best deal an elite at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Just downloaded it & 360 made really loud noise, then their was a bang & finally 3 red lights. Now must ring Microsoft for another new one, 2nd time since new year. 3rd one in 3 years. Shoddy pieces of crap, ah well at least I'll finally get around to playing metal gear solid 4 properly.
    Dunnie1982.png dunnie1982.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Heh, +1 for the rrod brigade...
    Updated, played half an hour of geom wars and then 'bzzzt'
    Great update...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'm scared to turn on my xbox now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

did anyone who got rrod after update tried to roll back it?
    just press sync button while turning xbox on, it should clear last update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

docentore wrote: »
    did anyone who got rrod after update tried to roll back it?
    just press sync button while turning xbox on, it should clear last update.

Tried that but still no joy... Time to send it back to MS methinks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I updated and havent had any problems. It did sound quite loud(er then usual) when playing Prince of Persia yesterday though. It better not fail, although its probably due one. Still havent had to send one back, and its almost 3 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Touch wood I havent noticed anything different since the update, although I got mine at christmas so it's still kinda new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I think a lot of these problems are caused by M$ using updates to blow microswitches on the motherboard in order to prevent homebrew. Terrible policy, homebrew apps on 360 would increase sales, anyone who wants to pirate games already can anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Kernel wrote: »
    I think a lot of these problems are caused by M$ using updates to blow microswitches on the motherboard in order to prevent homebrew. Terrible policy, homebrew apps on 360 would increase sales, anyone who wants to pirate games already can anyway.

Where are you getting this from? i'm curious....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

My console is a 60GB from roughly a month after they were released and didn't get any trouble with the update...yet.

Where are you getting this from? i'm curious....:)

Sorry I said microswitches, when the term is actually e-fuses. :o Might have made google a little hard. Try here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EElkyVZlkAWyvjrKRY.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Kernel wrote: »
    Sorry I said microswitches, when the term is actually e-fuses. :o Might have made google a little hard. Try here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EElkyVZlkAWyvjrKRY.php

I tried reading and understanding what was said in that link but most of it swooshed over my head.....

Cheers anyway though! :)

I tried reading and understanding what was said in that link but most of it swooshed over my head.....

Cheers anyway though! :)

Basically MS designed the motherboard to have little e-fuses built onto it. The idea was that a certain update would send a high voltage through the e-fuse and blow it, which basically changes the internal circuitry and makes it harder to hack.

This is the best reason I can think of as to why xboxs die when updates are applied. Another bad move for MS I think. Since the dvd drive is hacked to allow piracy anyway, although homebrew has been supressed - which only annoys legitimate users who might want an XBMC instead of using vista to stream.

Advertisement