Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Sandyford

• 02-04-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

I'm moving to Dublin soon and will be commuting out to Sandyford Business Park on the bike. Just wondering if any of you do this ride daily and what is the best route to go from town? I'll be based in the south city centre. I'm not that familiar with getting to Sandyford outside of going by the Luas (how crap is it that they have no allocated bike space on their trams?) so please bear in mind I am a bit of a culchie! ;)

Also, how long does it normally take, and what is the traffic generally like? Are the bike lanes good?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Work in Sandyford myself ... and the bike lanes leading into it are fairly good ... a couple of dodgy intersections just as you are entering the industrial estate ... but nothing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

The 2 main routes would be either

A. Ranelagh-Clonskeagh-Goatstown-Sandyford

or

B. N11 Donnybrook-Stillorgan-Sandyford

Both have good and bad points, option A has a good bike lane though it has gotten worse over the years and going through Ranelagh is not great.

Option B is alongside a dual carriageway for most of the way and the bike lane has been improved in the last few years.

I used to do a similar route (going the opposite direction) and used to take the N11 up to UCD, then through the Belfield campus up to Mount Merrion and from there head South, there is a big climb but it is probably the most direct route up to Sandyford and there is less traffic along the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

I'm going to be doing this route as well soon.

Kevin street to sandyford every morning.

Would anybody be able to recommend a good quick light bike for that commute ?? Budget 600 - 800. Or what type of bike suits that commute. I'm completely new to cycling.

(Sorry for hi-jacking the thread !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I commute from Ranelagh. I would use that route, it is a lot more pleasant than the N11 in my opinion, and has much better cycle lanes.

@oldboy- I am selling a Specialized Sirrus converted to drop bars, 105 9 speed groupset, rack and mudguards. 58cm (I am 6ft), €475 ono. Thread will finally go up next week. Would be perfect for commuting, that is indeed what I used it for myself as well as touring and indeed general spins around Wicklow.

th_Sirrus_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Personally I use a Raleigh Urban 2 and have had no problems. Don't think I would be happy spending more than €400 on a commuting bike.

Generally the road surface is ok on either route. Just after RTE the bike lane is pretty crap and there are potholes and unsuitable drain covers which are dangerous when wet.

On the other route the road around Goatstown needs to be resurfaced and there is the odd pothole along the route but it's still generally quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am doing that everyday, Sandyford to city center and back. I would avoid n11 as the bicycle lane there is awful and the buses are dangerous. I am doing Ranelagh-Clonskeagh-Goatstown-Sandyford and find it quite ok actually. The "problem" is that if you are coming from City center most of the way is slightly uphill, so you ll arrive preety sweaty in you work.

Enjoy it :)

Advertisement