Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Carb Diets

• 02-04-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is anyone out there on a low carb diet at the moment? I used to live in the states and could shop for great low carb snacks in my local Star market. Since moving to Dublin I've found one good website that do great low carb protein bars and drinks (the kind you get in the movtivation clinics) <snip> but just wondering if anyone has other favourite snacks or low carb options that work and where can you get them from??????
    Marcellaaa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've been low carbing for close to nine years now, but I tend to stick to real food, it's getting very hard to get any specific LC food in shops.

You can still get Atkins LC bars in Boots and there are a few protein bars in health food/ supplement shops that are tolerable. But by and large, over here low carbing means meat and veg and stuff like that. There are a couple of ethnic shops that sell pork rinds and chicken skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

EileenG wrote: »
    There are a couple of ethnic shops that sell pork rinds and chicken skin.

:eek::eek: Suddenly I feel sick! Why oh why would you want to eat those? From a nutritional standpoint and from a being grossed out standpoint?

Nutritionally, not as bad as you'd think. About 2/3 protein, 1/3 fat, and very tasty. Particularly good if you are craving something crunchy and don't want to pig out on Pringles.

Nutritionally, not as bad as you'd think. About 2/3 protein, 1/3 fat, and very tasty. Particularly good if you are craving something crunchy and don't want to pig out on Pringles.

Fair enough. It wouldn't be for me but I can see where you're coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Nutritionally, not as bad as you'd think. About 2/3 protein, 1/3 fat,

Pork rinds are really high in sodium and their protein is not good quality.
    the quality of the protein in pork rinds, called hydrolyzed gelatin protein, is quite low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind

• Advertisement

Still, in comparison to Pringles, they are quite good. Some brands of pork rinds have little or no salt.

cozmik wrote: »
    Pork rinds are really high in sodium and their protein is not good quality.

I completely agree with you there, cozmik. They wouldn't be what I would consider high quality forms of protein at all. However, I think the point Eileen G was making was that it's a better alternative to pringles as a crunchy snack when you crave such a thing.

In terms of how best to respond to these cravings or how to avoid cravings through organising your nutrition, that's a completely different argument. I personally find that when I have my food organised for the day (whether i'm in work or at home), I won't be hungry and won't crave snacks. On the mental side of things, I find the fact that my nutrition is coupled with my weights training as part of a lifestyle choice provides extra motivaton. I believe when it comes to cravings, the majority of it is a mental thing - once you stop eating something, your body stops craving it. However, your mind does not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I think the point Eileen G was making was that it's a better alternative to pringles

Saying they're better than Pringles isn't saying much tbh.

Advertisement