Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good nights out in Offaly

• 02-04-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,167 ✭✭✭✭

Where would you recommend for a good night out in Offaly? Be it a wild drinking session or a romantic meal, where or what would ya recommend as a good way to pass an evening/night in Offaly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Jamies Restaurant in Tullamore is a lovely place for a meal, the food is fab and reasonably priced. For a session i'd suggest the Brewery Tap, always packed though so would take a while to get a drink at the bar on a saturday night. Also the Wolfe Trap is a great Disco bar, older crowd in it which is a plus, and there does be a good crowd in it and good music too. Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

DO NOT go to any of the night clubs.... they are a pile of dung!!!!!! stick with the wolf trap, the brewery tap...or even de bruns can be good now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

offaly1 wrote: »
    DO NOT go to any of the night clubs.... they are a pile of dung!!!!!! stick with the wolf trap, the brewery tap...or even de bruns can be good now too.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was in the Bridge House myself Saturday night. Its been the first time in years.

I started in the bar and there was a guy playing a piano and singing, with 2 girls singing too. Where I was sitting I could only hear the singing, and no piano. Sounded awful without music. I think its geared as an easy listening music selection to have in the background. But ya need to hear the piano!! Otherwise it might as well be someone in a shower.

After a while, I went to the nightclub. €10 to get in which isn't too bad I guess. There was a band playing who I caught the tail end of. They were good, but way too loud. No need to be so high in a small room. I went from there to the "disco" part.

I immediately noticed the place hasn't changed once in at least 12 years. Its still dark and murky. And the crowd in it puts the future to shame. Bloody full of 17/18 year old wasters. There must have been a knacker convention in town or something. The whole niteclub needs to be fumigated and done up. It looks manky, and feels every bit as bad. I wandered around for a while before going back to the front bar of the hotel. On the way out there was a guy lying in his own puke on a couch, and across the way a young girl getting with her skirt around her hips getting piped by some young lad.

Maybe I went on a bad night or something. But from what I seen, it'll be be a long time till I enter that nite club again. Its just too manky, and full of gob****es.

I was in the Bridge House myself Saturday night. Its been the first time in years.

I started in the bar and there was a guy playing a piano and singing, with 2 girls singing too. Where I was sitting I could only hear the singing, and no piano. Sounded awful without music. I think its geared as an easy listening music selection to have in the background. But ya need to hear the piano!! Otherwise it might as well be someone in a shower.

After a while, I went to the nightclub. €10 to get in which isn't too bad I guess. There was a band playing who I caught the tail end of. They were good, but way too loud. No need to be so high in a small room. I went from there to the "disco" part.

I immediately noticed the place hasn't changed once in at least 12 years. Its still dark and murky. And the crowd in it puts the future to shame. Bloody full of 17/18 year old wasters. There must have been a knacker convention in town or something. The whole niteclub needs to be fumigated and done up. It looks manky, and feels every bit as bad. I wandered around for a while before going back to the front bar of the hotel. On the way out there was a guy lying in his own puke on a couch, and across the way a young girl getting with her skirt around her hips getting piped by some young lad.

Maybe I went on a bad night or something. But from what I seen, it'll be be a long time till I enter that nite club again. Its just too manky, and full of gob****es.

Sounds like a typical night out in the bridge house!!:(:( I actually dread the thoughts of going there any night.... thankfully i only grace it with my presence every once in a blue moon...... I wasnt' there saturday night.. (thank god!!) but as i say that sounds like a typical night in the bridge.. DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELVES!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cycalogic

Hahaha. I've been going to the bridge almost religiously for the past 3 years and I've never realised that there was a live band playing upstairs??

My nights used to include stopping off in dunnes stores on the way home from work, picking up a few bottles or cans. Drinking getting ready.
    Start at the top of the town (no i dont live in arden zoo), get a shot in eugenes, get a shot in the goalpost, sometimes go into digans for a shot, but usually onto de bruns. (I HATE this kip btw, if i had my own way, id avoid it at all costs)
    Couple of drinks here, and then onto the bridge. TBH, i've never really noticed people lying in their own puke, but thats not to say it doesnt happen.

I like to party but I do not associate with ... those... type of people.

Or if im feeling like a quiet night, we go to de bruns and then onto lougherys... loughreys is mostly for sunday nights though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

There must have been a knacker convention in town or something.

There must be one every week so. I went there a couple of times when i was like you said17/18. Then looked around one night and realised it was a pure dive of a place. 3 yrs on and never returned.

I do tend to keep away from clubs and myself and herself do go to pubs a bit. If its aquiet drink i like places like kellys with the little open fire and all the old stuff on the walls.

But alas, tis coming to an end as were expecting a accident/surprize in 5 months (first announcement on the web:D:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The Bridge is rotten. Congrats Dusty.....Next time you go to the Bridge it'll be to pick up the kid.........how worrying is that?

The Bridge is rotten. Congrats Dusty.....Next time you go to the Bridge it'll be to pick up the kid.........how worrying is that?

Thank you;), ill probably be in there with him ha ha. hopefully it will have changed a bit by then:)
    Seemingly they changed it to 21's recently, but ya can be sure the young ones are stil in there. I knew a lad from kilbeggan, that used to go in at 7.30 or so, sit in a corner or toilets until bouncers came and once they were on the door he was up gettin pints. :D:D
    he was 16 at the time

Cycalogic wrote: »
    Hahaha. I've been going to the bridge almost religiously for the past 3 years and I've never realised that there was a live band playing upstairs??

There used to be ballad sessions in the durrow room, nd they were given the bin:( The band then started playing downstairs... and now from what i've been told they back in the durrow room again....

Only time i really say i go to the bridge nd enjoy it is when best foot forward are playing:D

Oh...by the way...Congrats Dusty:D

• Advertisement

Hopefully when they get round to refurbishing upstairs like they have done downstairs it should make a big difference. Also alot of talk about them going to turn it into an over 23's nightclub when it's finished.

There used to be ballad sessions in the durrow room, nd they were given the bin:( The band then started playing downstairs... and now from what i've been told they back in the durrow room again....

Only time i really say i go to the bridge nd enjoy it is when best foot forward are playing:D

Oh...by the way...Congrats Dusty:D

+1 on the best foot forward. Usually there of a bank holiday if i remember correctly. Thanks offaly1:D

oooooooohhhhhh.............may check it out for this weekend!!!:D best foot forward rock!!!!:P

oooooooohhhhhh.............may check it out for this weekend!!!:D best foot forward rock!!!!:P

Very good live alright. Used to always go there when they were on and head home when they finished. home was better than upstairs at least:D:D

Oh, and what i have to laugh at is the brige house walk, (probably everywhere though),
    Where lads around 18/19, do this slow motion hardy walk whilst slowly turning head from left to right? Anyone notice this? Dont mess with them boys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Jamies Restaurant in Tullamore is a lovely place for a meal, the food is fab and reasonably priced.
    Must agree, absolutely dee-lish! And the staff are lovely. Haven't been there in a long time though :( as I used to go with my ex, bad memories!

I am heading back to Jamie's on saturday night, haven't been in a good few months so will report back if it is as good as i remember !!

Advertisement