Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site with FPP - Don't like the plans!

• 02-04-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

There is a lovely site for sale in our area. It comes with Full Planning Permission with not too many restrictions but as the title of the thread suggests, we don;t particularly like the proposed plans.

Our issues are:
    1. There is an existing stone 2 room cottage on the site, with permission granted to demolish it. We would prefer to keep the existing cottage and renovate it to use as an office and artists studio (for the Mrs).
    2. We don't particularly like the house that planning has been granted for. It does nothing to maximise the lovely views from the site or to maximise the south facing side of the side (if that makes sense?).
    3. Plans are for 1300sq ft approx which while not small, is not very well proportioned with 2 quite small bedrooms (approx 10 x 10) and alot of wasted space in an excessively big living room (approx 23 x 14). We would probably go a bit bigger but were not talking a mansion or anything here.
    We have some things in mind that we would like in the house that none of this incorporates.

So my question is, would we have to apply from scratch for planning again with new designs more to our requirements? Does that fact the FPP has been granted make this any easier?

I'm quite new to this Planning business as we never intended builing a house until we saw this site so apologies of my queries are a bit simple!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its always better to make use of any permission that is granted. You would probably be better off applying for permission for a change of house type together with permission to retain the cottage and change the use of same.

Your own architect/tech/engineer will be in a better position to advise you of the exact wording of the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ger arch

It sounds like you need major changes to the proposed planning,I think you'd be mad to work around someone else's crap plans, if you make major changes you'll find it difficult to get anybody to sign off that the house is in compliance with planning (you'll need this for a mortgage). Also if you ever want to sell the house you'll have to apply for retention. Spend the money on planning now and get the house you want.
    Go in for a change of plan of the house design and converting the
    cottage to a studio.
    Explain to local authority that the cottage will be used for the Mrs
    to wok from home, (because they will be worried that you are
    putting 2 houses on the site).
    The fact you have full planning permission on the site will make it
    straight forward. You could also go in for a pre-planning with your
    local planner to make sure that your revised plans will be acceptable
    before you submit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

We had a somewhat similar situation.

We had permission for a particular house design and to demolish half of a cottage on-site (remainder to be used as office/studio).

We applied for, and got, permission for a change of house design. The fact you are looking to retain the cottage may bring you out of the 'change of house design' remit and a full re-application might be in order - I really don't know, no expertise in the area.

I would suggest you organise a pre-planning meeting with the local planner(s) to show what you're proposing. Can't believe retaining a cottage would be a problem. Also, as we did, draw up a justification - to be included in the final application - for the design/elements that you are looking to build. Shows you have thought things through and have taken note of local planning guidelines (design, etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

I think that the house we have envisaged is so far removed from what has been granted there would be no possibility to "tweak" the current plans. It would really starting from a blank page!

My wife has a friend who works in the planning department of a neighbouring County Council. We are going to ask her to have a look at the site and plans to see whether she thinks our ideas would be a runner.

I'll keep you all posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Without obviously seeing the plans/site, the fact that FPP is granted basically means that the Co Co have no issue regarding the siting of a dwelling, of that general style as granted, on that particular site. As said, a Pre_Planning meeting would give you more assurances of any possible changes that may be accepted. The fact that propose to keep cottage, stress to Co Co that "extension" to cottage would be in accordance with the Cork Rural Design Guide or similar (local) standard. Other thing is, you mention office. Be very careful there. If rural, chance is it is designated "white lands". Office is generally not accepted on white lands. Your Arch/Tech who does works for you will know local standards there. Also, check that there is no residency clause in the original Grant. Could be a stickler if so. Also, strongly advise trip to L.A. and read the original planning file and reports. Could be a reason why what was granted is noted in there....

• Advertisement
Advertisement