Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart ADSL with in-house exchange?

Options
  • 02-04-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

I just moved house (renting) - was a Smart customer previously so used them again this time.

I just realised the house has got some sort of internal exchange installed - I have to dial 9 for an outside line! Also, my own dual Skype phone does not connect to the internal system - I have the use the BT Relate 100 phones that were here in the house.

So...how do I get ADSL working? I assume the only way will be a separate spur off the incoming feed before the mini-exchage type box (not sure what make or model it is) for the ADSL?

Need to speak to the letting agent...

Many thanks, Richard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yup - you would need to get the modem connected in prior to the pbx and make sure that the pbx is connected to a filter to stop it interfering with your DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dowser

Sheeeeeet! Many thanks for quick response. I know where the entry point is outside the house, but it was built in 70's and internal PBX is a mess of old and new wiring; I can't work out which is the input and which the output for the 4 internal extensions.

Do you know whether these internal pbx systems use dedicated runs to each of the extensions, or are they on a ring somehow?

If they are dedicated runs then I hope I can disconnect the office sockett from pbx and use it for dsl only with a suitable split (with filter) in front of pbx.

Cheers, Richard

To close this out - there were dedicated runs to each in-house extension, yippee. I isolated the PBX from the one of the extensions and routed the incloming exchange line direct to the office; installed splitter in the office and my dual Skype phone and ADSL works OK.

I now want to try and connect the PBX back into cct by feeding the incoming line into a DSL splitter, taking phone out to PBX, routing DSL output down to office, attaching another splitter to connect my own non-PBX phone to phone output, and DSL output to router. This should give me my phone in the office, plus 3 other extensions in the house - only issue will be trying to make a call from an internal extension if office phone is in use.

Will this work? My understanding is that the splitters are there to keep telephone system noise away from the DSL hardware - anyone foresee issues using 2 splitters between external line and DSL hardware?

Thanks!
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The DSL splitters are there to keep out-of-pots frequency noise generated by devices (like phones/sky boxes etc..) off of the line.

Ideally the DSL modem should be plugged directly onto the line with no filter in place. (The modem port on the splitter/filter is a pass-through connection, its the phone port on the splitter/filter that filters out all but the low frequency POTS stuff).

Great, thanks - then 2 will do no harm.

Richard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

If you get stuck - ask the folks on the Smart forum also....or PM me.

Advertisement