Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best of Portarlington

Options
  • 02-04-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

New enough to Portarlington, living there just a couple of months, so just want to get the low down on the best places there, ie pubs, food (take aways & Restuarants), walks, etc. and anything else people can think to recommend in the area. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Hi & Welcome,

I'm a newbie myself - 5 years - but I believe you can be here 80 years and still be called a newbie :D

Food:
    Dehli Dharbar Indian Restaurant & Takeaway. Good food. Great offer of free starter with main course or free main course when you order two mains.

Bombay Chilli (over the Anvil) - theres a review on here. Haven't been myself but its supposed to be good.

Oriental New Star (beside Mathews Bakery) Nice chineese restaurant and good takeaway too

Pubs:
    The Anvil - good jukebox in the back bar
    After Dark - it was a bit young for me the last time I was there but its a nice place and the staff are great!
    O'Deas - Nice country feel, trad music on a sunday I think.
    Toms Bar - Nice for a quiet one

Walks:
    Emo Woods
    Derryounce walkway
    The resevoir

Hope this helps!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think the ground of emo court are open most sundays... great for a couple of hours in the sunshine... FOC...

lots of active sports clubs, 3 gaa clubs, o dempseys, port and gracefield (depending on where you live).... arlington FC soccer and portarlington rugby club...

garryhinch golf club is a wonderful established 18 hole course... cheap enough to play a round (25 i think?? usually takes about 4 - 4.5 hours depending on how busy)

theres a tennis club as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Thanks for that, all really helpful. I'll do a bit more exploring over the next few weekends. Cool about the golf, never played, but thinking of giving it a bash, so that sounds really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Welcome to Port!

I'll add my recommendation for the New Star Chinese, take-away or sit down.

I love An Chistin for brekkie or lunch too on the Main Street near the fancy glass pharmacy.

Corrig Woods (I think?) is great for a walk with or without the dogs, it's near the train station up on a hill.

The leisure centre's great too now it's all done up, for swimming and a good gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Agree New Star is by a mile the best take out Chinesse.

AN Chistin 6 out of 10 for breakfasts.

Leisure centre is good PAYG(Pay as you Go) is a great opition instead of a annual fee. €8 for Gym/Pool/Steam Room €6 for Pool only

O Dea's is a great pub . Great food too.

Pint of port not bad either.

Pending on your age the Anvil is a good spot also

IMO stay away from the Weightbrigde and Hotel

1I'll add my recommendation for the New Star Chinese, take-away or sit down.

I love An Chistin for brekkie or lunch too on the Main Street near the fancy glass pharmacy.

Corrig Woods (I think?) is great for a walk with or without the dogs, it's near the train station up on a hill.

The leisure centre's great too now it's all done up, for swimming and a good gym.[/quote]

• Advertisement

Where is the golf course in Port

Out the tulamore road. When you get to the fork stay to the left. They do really good food at great value out there too!

Which of ye're recommended pubs would be showing the munster leinster match outta curiousity. and thanks for all the info, wouldnt have known to try a good few of those places without ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

the golf club is out the mountmellick road not the tullamore road, but i sopose your close enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

There's the Heritage Golf course in Killenard as well... its very expensive though!!!

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    Which of ye're recommended pubs would be showing the munster leinster match outta curiousity. and thanks for all the info, wouldnt have known to try a good few of those places without ye.

I would say all of them but I was in The Anvil on Saturday night and it was on there on about 4 different screens.

ports best wrote: »
    the golf club is out the mountmellick road not the tullamore road, but i sopose your close enough

oops! I always get that confused.

Minxie123 wrote: »
    I would say all of them but I was in The Anvil on Saturday night and it was on there on about 4 different screens.

nice one,i was there myself, happy out i found somewhere. nice enough pub too, not too bad a pint either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Mario's Trattoria is the restaurant above After Dark in the square. Very nice.

budhabob wrote: »
    nice one,i was there myself, happy out i found somewhere. nice enough pub too, not too bad a pint either.

Yeah, its a grand spot. I'm in my early thirties and find some of Port pubs a little on the young side and some of the others a little on the ould side. Nice balance of ages in there and a pretty good juke box. Nice staff too.

h8red wrote: »
    Mario's Trattoria is the restaurant above After Dark in the square. Very nice.

+1 for Marios and if you're not a wine drinker you can get other drinks brought up from After Dark.

Ah excellent, great to know about a good restaurant!! Many thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Minxie123 wrote: »
    Yeah, its a grand spot. I'm in my early thirties and find some of Port pubs a little on the young side and some of the others a little on the ould side. Nice balance of ages in there and a pretty good juke box. Nice staff too.

i think u've hit the nail on the head there on port pubs...there's nowhere for anyone in between

Im 28 and the other half is 25 and we love it.
    You get used to not have a nightclub or disco bar in a town very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bug1

Is it me, or has the beer in the Anvil got really bad lately? Ending up in Tom's lately (though back to the Anvil on Fri/sat night for the atmos)

• Advertisement

I like Toms but its a bit lacking in atmos like you say. I usually watch the rugby there. Great seat at the bar in front of the little LCD. Haven't noticed any problems with the beer in the Anvil but that's possibly due to the amount I drank last time I was there :D

PS: I know its not Portarlington but just wanted to say I was at the Dunamaise in Portlaoise on Wednesday night. Really enjoyed it. They show quirky movies every second wednesday, just something a bit different. Its only 20 mins away so deffo worth the trip. Next film is Wednesday 29th
    http://www.dunamaise.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Emo Court is outstanding value for those who are interested in old and original houses and furnishings. The grounds and walks (Woods, lake etc) are free and v popular with the families and kids. Its great to have it on our doorsteps.

This is a project done on Emo Court by a number of schools: - http://www.emocourt.net/

+1 for Emo Court

I think it was last summer they did outdoor plays. I know they did Romeo & Juliette at one stage. Anyone know if they're doing it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I don't believe there are any extra events on this year at Emo except for this http://www.musicgreatirishhouses.com/programme/sunday-7th.html

This has been a very handy thread. Where would the best place be to bring visiters for lunch at the weekends? I know a few good places for dinner and that from the other recommendations, but i dont know how that differs from the lunch options.

I'd go with O'Deas

I haven't been but I've heard the golf club does a great sunday lunch.

Wheres the golf club?

• Advertisement

Its on the mountmellick road - approx 3 km from Portarlington Town.

Advertisement