Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions regarding blacknight hosting

Options
  • 02-04-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I want to use Joomla to set up a site for a small business. The site is currently hosted by eircom but they cannot host a Joomla-based site. Can Blacknight run Joomla and how difficult would it be to transfer the site, email addresses, etc. across?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi

We offer an auto-installer for Joomla. See:
    http://www.blacknight.com/pre-installed-software.html

Of course you may prefer to install it yourself manually

I'd recommend you have a look at:
    http://www.blacknight.com/moving-hosting.html

which covers some of the issues you may wish to consider when moving provider

TIA

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks Michele, I'll be in touch regarding pricing when I've spoken to the domain owner.

Ok. If you have any other questions please let us know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Hi,

I am looking to set up a .ie website and a friend recommended yourselves. What do i need to set up? I know that its harder to register a .ie and was told i would need a valid passport/driving licence and a letter of intent? What exactly is a letter of intent? Is there anything else i need? Im new to this but i have a great site that i would like to get up and running!

Thanks!

dogeyknees wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to set up a .ie website and a friend recommended yourselves. What do i need to set up? I know that its harder to register a .ie and was told i would need a valid passport/driving licence and a letter of intent? What exactly is a letter of intent? Is there anything else i need? Im new to this but i have a great site that i would like to get up and running!

Thanks!
    Sorry - only spotted this now

Getting a .ie can be quite complex

If it's for a business of any kind then you'd need a CRO number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

I am new to this and don't really know what I'm looking for but I have an Idea for a new Website which if successful could be huge
    I would require a database type website and sizeable server like that of a forum, it would be free to use
    Anyway my Q is what costs am I looking at initially and going forward, I know I'm being vague but based on a typical forum setup

CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Hi Cheapskate,

I was new to this too and just done something similar myself:

www.barterpoint.ie

You can get the forum template via freesource but do some testing first, we have found that SMF boards are very restrictive and are now looking at doing an overhaul and using different software - we will have to pay for this (think its $200 but if its worth it then do it). We got our server space from digiweb and it was fairly well priced - they have a range of different options and you can always upgrade if your traffic is high:

http://hosting.digiweb.ie/

The cost of registering a .ie was 50 euro for 2 years but there is restrictions on .ie addresses... you will need to do some research on that so check out http://www.iedr.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php and choose the option that suits you - Make sure you read the requirements and choose based on them! Also, register the site through Blacknight - they are excellent.

If you have any questions PM me... i have learned a lot from my experience! I will say one thing though, you can have the best site or idea in the world but you will need to market it otherwise no-one will know about it. Also looking into Google optimisation and SEO techniques so you get the best possible ranking

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi Dogeyknees,

Thank you for your help, I will check that out.

Nice website, good idea!

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

If I buy a .ie domain through Blacknight and have email accounts set up using that domain, do I have to have the domain hosted by Blacknight, or can I still use the email etc on a different site? :confused:

Aelfric wrote: »
    If I buy a .ie domain through Blacknight and have email accounts set up using that domain, do I have to have the domain hosted by Blacknight, or can I still use the email etc on a different site? :confused:

You can register the domain with us and host elsewhere

• Advertisement
Advertisement