Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Keeps You Up at Night?

Options
  • 02-04-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Another restless night, another morning searching out caffeine to help with my lack-of-sleep headache.

It's been happening more often than not lately, where my anxieties about various aspects of my life - two of us living on one income, being in a new country, thinking about when we have to move next - are seeping into my subconscious and drifting into my dreams. I love going to bed because I'm usually quite tired (and love a snuggle), but I always wake up with this stuff in the back of my mind.

I'm sure I'm not alone here . . . what about the rest of you? Anything keeping you up at night?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

My Stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

noct forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I usually sleep pretty well, but when it's one of those nights where no matter what you do you can't drop off, my mind starts worrying about the oddest things.

Last time I couldn't sleep, after I'd exhausted the usual worries (ex-boyfriend, debts, car battery on its last legs, blah blah) I started getting antsy about how the software made by the company I work for is so unattractive and counterintuitive to use compared to the software made by our biggest competitor. ???

Pretty soon after that I dropped off, I think I'd finally bored myself to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cathy34

Money worries - started my own business last year and it's tough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

When am i going to get a job is the main one at the moment, but when i can't sleep my mind wanders and i end up worrying about my next driving lesson or if my sister in america is ok or the weirdest things i wouldnt gove a second thought during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Worries about my final year project, exam results and finding a job, mostly. Same as every other final year student in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

rain on wrote: »
    Last time I couldn't sleep, after I'd exhausted the usual worries (ex-boyfriend, debts, car battery on its last legs, blah blah) I started getting antsy about how the software made by the company I work for is so unattractive and counterintuitive to use compared to the software made by our biggest competitor. ???

Pretty soon after that I dropped off, I think I'd finally bored myself to sleep.

Hahahahaha -- next time you're up, just start typing what's in your head and pm it to me . . . you can bore me to sleep too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I have a ginger cat who is lacking intelligence - so he tries to burying underneath the kitchen tiled floor, at the door, to get out. So it sounds like someone rattling the door

Family worries - sometimes. Only if i know someone is really sick.
    Last night was v warm after heating on and two duvets, I couldnt nod off. Even though i need my sleep, have been sick lately. Am wrecked today - look like walking dead.

I hate Sunday nights - anxious. I keep thinking Im forgetting something

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The fcukin house alarm down the street that went off at 4am this morning, and stayed going for an hour and a half! :mad:

If I had had a ladder and hammer handy that alarm would be so dead now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Wondering when I'm going to get a job, worrying how i'm going to survive on the little money I have and also worrying about signing on as I haven't done it yet...also about the guy I'm seeing...lots of things to give me a restless nights the last few days :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

SeekUp wrote: »
    Hahahahaha -- next time you're up, just start typing what's in your head and pm it to me . . . you can bore me to sleep too.
    Haha no bother.. look out for future titles including "What Is That Noise Coming From Under My Car?", "Sleeping With the Ex: Yes or No?" and "Should I Get Dental Cover as Part of My Health Insurance?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Worries about my final year project, exam results and finding a job, mostly. Same as every other final year student in the country!
    God yeah I remember that, my mind would always be racing at night, and during the day I couldn't think of anything beyond my next deadline!

Sometimes work stuff keeps me awake these nights :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

Recently I had a problem that I put on the long finger at work until it got to the point that I had a stomach churning sleepless night or two - I am a procrastinator by nature unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My lack of direction. If only I could find my bedroom! ;)

Work, prospects, direction, money... they all stress me out to a degree. I live in two different places, one Monday to Friday, the other at the weekend, and I don't sleep well during the week, but I'm very busy at the weekends, so although I get better quality sleep I don't get a lot of it. That annoys me.

I always wake up with a song in my head. I wonder about my personal soundtrack sometimes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

The same things, running through my head, as listed by you guys.
    I find that if I get to the morning restless, I try stay tired all day then get a REALLY early night rather than survive on caffine. I also find just taking a deep breath, or writing it all down, or a good rant on the phone... getting it off your chest and out of your brain running in circles is a huge help.

Stressful times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Caffeine, a big meal or work stress too close to bedtime usually get me pillow flicking and duvet flipping!

Avoidance usually works with the first two and a bit of mundane list-making usually shuts my brain off in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yup. This, and boards is what keeps me up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

^^ this.

once i get to sleep though there's no waking me.

my mum cannot understand it, i sleep through dogs barking, toliet flushing - room right beside toliet -, an old smoke alarm (we had to replace it because we feared i'd sleep through it), you name it, i'll sleep through it.

whereas if i fecking cough in the middle of the night, she'll wake :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

my mum cannot understand it, i sleep through dogs barking, toliet flushing - room right beside toliet -, an old smoke alarm (we had to replace it because we feared i'd sleep through it), you name it, i'll sleep through it.

I'm exactly the same. I've been known to sleep through an hour and a half of my alarm - while it wakes up everyone else at home. It practically takes a train running through my room to wake me up once I'm asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

^^ this.

How close to you sleep to your mum??:eek:
    Wake promoting drugs!
    Ponder bout where my life is at and going usual crap! Get up and pending on hour head outside for a bit of night time air - or badly convay a piont on boards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

My bf isn't here, he's such a good influence when he is, I find myself getting to bed before twelve most nights and getting up before eight every morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

reading through some of these made me feel better - it being after 3am :pac:

i laugh... but i have to meet me other half at 7am so that i can drive him to a place that's 3 and 1/2 hours away from where i am now sitting.... :(

i'm scared to go to sleep cause - this is no lie - a few months ago the plumber came to fix the shower - he had to open the concrete floor in the bathroom to get at the pipes - using a jackhammer.

i slept through the whole thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

i have an essay due tomorrow so tryin to write it now is keeping me up, but this thread just makes me want to sleep :(
    now back to that stupid essay...if only i was organised and not lazy id have it done by now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Pretty much just work - my job isn't really stressful per se - just really really really busy but I really enjoy it. I often lie awake for half an hour thinking of all the things I'll need to do tomorrow. I've started turning the lights back on and writing it all down. That usually relaxes me off to sleep.

I occasionally worry about money but I'm not in too bad a situation. It's mainly how to get $3000 to pay fo return flights for a trip home that I think about.

Last night I was awake for a while thinking about the social club at work. I'ev just joined and we need to think of ideas for things to do. i have none. I was going to get up and get my laptop to put a thread on boards but I couldn't think where I would put such a thread so I decided not to. Where would you put that thread?!

Does anyone else notice that ideas you think are awesome when lying awake at night are invariably very stupid?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

worrying about my clients, my acid reflux, wondering how i'll get through the next six months and worrying about my family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

my over-active thyroid gland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Nothing kept me up when I was working the house could fall down and I did not give a stuff but since i was let go everything keeps me up....

Boiler needs service
    Washing machine on its last legs
    Car Due a service
    Lawnmore needs a new blade
    Child is growing out of clothes - Glad they are cheap
    Sky movies is sh1t will I get rid of it????
    Press doors are peeling - Tell supplier I am sueing him. How do I word that
    Timber frame house is has a moving floor Will more tiles brake.
    Is the moth going to be alright on the pregnacy
    Is the son going to get worse
    Is there any fcuking people in this world not trying to rip you off
    Stay off gumtree.
    Cider makes me hiper so I have stopped drinking it.
    Wine seems to taste bad cause I drink on me own ( Wife preg not drinking)

Jasus everything keeps me awake at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

Imaginary conversations with people who wronged me, including boys who act keen, take my number and proceed to never contact me, my ex-boss, a seller on e-bay, etc.

Also, an awful recurring dream where I discover I have a secret second credit card that I've maxed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    How close to you sleep to your mum??:eek:
    Wake promoting drugs!
    Ponder bout where my life is at and going usual crap! Get up and pending on hour head outside for a bit of night time air - or badly convay a piont on boards!
    she sleeps up the top of the house and i sleep at the bottom.

she's a light sleeper totally :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I know this is odd but if I havent eatin i cant sleep i gotta sleep ona full tumyy Odd..
    if i have socks on in bed i stay awake..If theres a tv standbye light is on or a computer light or lap top light if i m pellows are set up properly...

Advertisement