Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Cone Watch

Options
  • 02-04-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Is it just me or is there a massive amount of roadworks, and traffic cones, throughout the town and extended areas?

Can they not fix one part at a time, instead of making a large mess in various places?

I am gonna try to start a list of areas, gonna be called Cone Watch!

Right, last week they were digging up the road in front of Valley Court, massive delays, took me 15 minutes to get past.

The by pass. Where to start. From the Roscommon exit to the Tuam Exit heading to Galway. Following out to the new roundabout at Baylough, all the way up over the bridge to beside the start of Elan. They also have traffic lights here with this.

On the opposit side joining the bypass from the Monksland/Tuam entry slip road, there's cones. Not only is there cones on the slip way down, theres cones on the bypass reducing it to one lane, so you are trying to integrate into the traffic here. Bad form.

Then on the Dublin-Galway side theres cones from around the Coosan exit to the bridge.

As someone mentioned there is one random cone from the Ballymahon Road sliproad to the Coosan exit.

Anyone got anymore to add?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

I've also just seen one random council sign for 'Men at Work' just before you come to Kilmartins exiting the bypass, a few metres from the roundabout. No idea where the roadworks are... but the signs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

well there all seperate jobs and no one has a say about what another company/council etc does at the same time.

with regards the cones at the summerhill end of the by-pass, tuam exit, out to elan and all that area there all part of the works in process for the new motorway. have you not noticed the two round-a-bouts at the top of the tuam exit and at summerhill? all the traffic resrictions need to be in place so that some ejit does not cause a serious accident by being a stupid fool.
    have you not realised that the cones may be there to warn people? and that they are there so that people will take caution? there also there so that people become aware of the works before they close the summerhill end of the by-pass so that the tie-in of the by-pass and the motorway can take place?
    i can only imagine all the complaits that there will be when that happens, but if you think about it these disruptions need to happen. how else do you think that they can build the motorway and connect it to the existing bypass? during live traffic?
    short term disruptions for long term gains. and trust me the gains will be long term and well worth the disruptions!

as for the other works, youd still be complaining if the road surfaces or services (which ever they may be digging the holes for etc) were not seen to. its just a coincidence that they all happen together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

As cazmcco these seem to be different companies and not just the council.
    There is a lot of work going on at the moment but it has to be done to get the new roads up and running. However, I do see it as a council fault that they're not timed properly, but saying that this is the same council that pushed the one way system then removed it (I know it was due to public pressure, but still). Saying that is it the Westmeath council or the Athlone Town Council that plans the roads? Either way, they're not on the ball.

Caz, was meant as a jokey thread... not incredibly serious.

Reminds me of this!
    stevebell.jpg

• Advertisement

:D

Haha nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Spotted this one...

largeicecreamcone1_close_250.jpg

I'd love one of those cones right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Rotofab's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Eireann wrote: »
    Caz, was meant as a jokey thread... not incredibly serious.

You think you have it bad, you should try going out with her :pac:

I have to agree with you thought, there is a super alot of cones knocking about at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

thanks a million :D!!

good to know that your such a good bf :D!!!

Advertisement