Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone made their own sourdough starter?

• 02-04-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have just looked this up on the internet and decided to give it a go. I recently ran out of yeast when I really wanted to bake and thought it would be a great idea to have my own starter so I don't have to rely on shop bought yeast. I just mixed together flour and water and left it out overnight. I have to 'feed' it again tonight - more flour and water. It’s a great little experiment to have going on.

Has anyone ever done this before? Any tips on how to store it afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

yes I did, I remember posting in similar topics on the Food&Drink forum (if not in this one), try to search for them, unfortunately I don't have time to find the exact URL of the topics.

Anyway, the best thing is to get this from someone who already managed to start it, then you can grow it by yourself and feed it twice a week (or even once a week if you store it in the fridge).

If your flour and water mixture does not double its volume within 48 hours you don't have a sourdough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

my mother did that and it's been going for months and months. plenty of successful loaves. Only thing is that it isn't really like yeast in the way that you know it - breads won't rise as well as with yeast, but their have their own sour dough qualities about them. When my mother started she used a recipe from the blazing salads cookbook, though it has to be scaled down. The recipe included adding organic grapes and required 3 weeks to get going, she reminds me :)

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fatchops

http://www.danlepard.com/forum/
    Check out this site, you'll be hooked

Advertisement