Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Terrace House Renovation

Options
  • 02-04-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I am just starting to renovate a mid-terrace house built in and would appreciate some advice...

The entire house was covered in wallpaper, which I have removed. On doing this it was apparent I had problems as the quality of the walls was poor to say the least.
    The walls were not plastered to a level where painting them would be an option and in a lot of areas the plaster was loose and "flakey" and in instances the plaster came off with the wallpaper.

So I have spent the last couple of weeks occupying my evenings by removing the plaster from all the walls.
    I am not yet finished, but I only have a couple more walls to finish, then I am ready for the next step...

I have had one guy look at it.
    I was on for drylining the whole house...using standard plasterboard on all internal walls and using insulated plasterboard on the 4 external walls.

The guy that looked at it however insists I cannot dryline the walls as due to the lack of solid fixing...is this the case?

Is there any way to dryline the whole house or am I aswell just getting the place re-skimmed...

Any other advice also welcomed

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

For the outside wall, I cant see why you cant put on 50mm insulated plasterboard. As for the other walls, what wrong in making sure that walls are sound and poly bonding them and re-skimming walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Arddon wrote: »
    I am just starting to renovate a mid-terrace house built in and would appreciate some advice...

The entire house was covered in wallpaper, which I have removed. On doing this it was apparent I had problems as the quality of the walls was poor to say the least.
    The walls were not plastered to a level where painting them would be an option and in a lot of areas the plaster was loose and "flakey" and in instances the plaster came off with the wallpaper.

So I have spent the last couple of weeks occupying my evenings by removing the plaster from all the walls.
    I am not yet finished, but I only have a couple more walls to finish, then I am ready for the next step...

I have had one guy look at it.
    I was on for drylining the whole house...using standard plasterboard on all internal walls and using insulated plasterboard on the 4 external walls.

The guy that looked at it however insists I cannot dryline the walls as due to the lack of solid fixing...is this the case?

Is there any way to dryline the whole house or am I aswell just getting the place re-skimmed...

Any other advice also welcomed

Thanks

I'd go with mad m. If there is no solid fixing, what would the plaster stick to? If the house has walls (and I assume something is holding the roof up) then I can't see why you couldn't dry line. If the internal walls are timber frame with plasterboard on them, then it must be possible to replace the plasterboard or the original wouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Arddon wrote: »
    Get someone else to give you a quote/advice on the plastering. As ART6 said - you've got walls, you gotta be able to dryline them.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

Thanks for the responses...

Hill Billy -I will defo be getting other opinions/quotes

Art 6/Mad M - he did say I could put 50mm insulated on the externals but the remainder of the internals he just wants to skim. I was thinking in relation to energy ratings etc...would it not be better to dryline ...maybe not, i'm no expert?! Maybe reskimming would be sufficient in some cases...(if dryline, is it necessary to use all insulated sheets or is standard plasterboard sufficient)

the house is constructed from red-brick. The internal upstairs walls are all stud walls and these will be re-slabbed - he was going to slab over the existing slabs - is this advisable or should these be removed first??

Also in places where i removed the plaster, the material between the plaster and the red brick has become loose...what is best to do here? Regardless of what I do i guess its important to bond the walls prior to plastering/drylining...

Thanks for the help folks

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi Arddon,

There is no real benefit in fitting 50mm insulation on the internal walls, the heat loss is on the external walls.

Slabbing over the existing studded partition is not unusual as it saves a lot of time (money) and skips for rubbish.

The down side is if the house is very old you may be losing the opportunity to treat any possible rot / wood worm etc, also you now have chance to fit insulation between the studs to help with sound proofing.

Also if you think you need to rewire or plumb the house now is a good chance to run the cables and pipes before any finishing work begins.

It may be an idea to ask for quotes to do it both ways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement